Disney's A Christmas Carol - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Disney's A Christmas Carol Reviews

July 14, 2017
In my option this is the best version of a Christmas carol
July 4, 2017
By far my favorite version of this story
½ April 8, 2017
While not as well focused as other films of the same name, the script, dazzlingly motion capture work, and excellent performances (mainly Carrey's Scrooge) strengthen this tale.
March 12, 2017
Meh.... :|
3 stars for amazing CGI
½ February 27, 2017
It's fine, it's also one of those movies that are really funny and Aren't trying to be
February 24, 2017
I love anything with Jim carrey.
½ February 11, 2017
Wonderful performance capture of both Jim Carrey and Gary Oldman, the story's fantastic themes are displayed in confidence with state of the art 3-D animation. The film dabbles in excessive fast paced virtual camera treks, resulting in headaches and 3-D eye strains...
January 2, 2017
It's good Christmas story
½ December 30, 2016
Zemeckis' version of A Christmas Carol is a staple in my annual viewing of Christmas films. I think it captures what Dickens was originally thinking when he wrote the famous story. Many are turned off by motion capture tech, but I love it. So what if they don't look 100% human? I think it's gorgeous to look at and adds another layer of personality. It makes this movie unique as well. The actors are all awesome and it becomes an emotional ride when Scrooge realizes the error of his ways. Overall, it's a wonderful holiday film you should not miss. (3.5/5)
December 27, 2016
If you don't want to see another corny Christmas-movie then you better watch this ....good story , and if you watch the behind the scenes documentary you realise how briljant this movie was made ! Very Enjoyeble thanks to Jim Carrey and the whole cast ! SOMDVD
½ December 26, 2016
"I've come to Christmas dinner... if you'll have me." The entire film is worth it for that single line. There are countless adaptations of "A Christmas Carol" and Robert Zemeckis' animated motion-capture rendition is unlike any other. Honestly, I've never cared much for fully animated motion-capture films. They look pretty creepy and I feel that the technology is much better utilized in films like "Rise of the Planet of the Apes," but it certainly emphasizes the acting talents of Jim Carrey. The use of motion-capture allows Carrey to play a variety of characters in the film including Scrooge at three different ages and the three ghosts. His casting in these roles was a no-brainer as every detail of his over-the-top facial expressions is perfectly captured by the computer technology. Moreover, he mastered the British and Irish accents to make sure that this film would be accepted by audiences in the UK. As a display of Carrey's acting chops, this film is a masterwork. I will always cite the George C. Scott version as my favorite serious telling of this tale, but this version does a great job of portraying the story. I am impressed that they told this story so effectively in just 90 minutes as Robert Zemeckis' screenplay captures the important moments so well that you won't notice any little moments that are left out. I feel as if they glossed over Christmas Past a bit too quickly, but outside of that it was a complete story. I appreciate that dark tone of this classic Christmas story is kept intact, as it is often interpreted in a lighthearted or watered down manner. The tone is especially surprising due to its animated facade (figuratively and literally). Unfortunately, the emphasized dark tone requires an even greater embellishment of hope at the end and the closing moments fall short. My eyes should have been filled with tears of Christmas joy and instead, I barely felt anything. I believe this to be the reason that the film faced so much criticism for its tone - the resolution fails to keep the moral of the story at the forefront of our minds. The production design is the real star of this film. The first half has some interesting visuals but the film really comes alive with the Ghost of Christmas Present. The scenic design of watching these moments through the floor is magnificent. The story often hinges on Scrooge's (and our own) fear of the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come and this shadowy interpretation is awesome. The best use of the motion capture technique is seen when they shrink Scrooge down in size and everything else becomes huge. It is actually quite unnecessary to the story but creates some interesting visuals. Alan Silvestri (Zemeckis' go-to composer) creates a beautiful score to accompany the film and I particularly like some of the statements of Christmas carols in minor. "Disney's A Christmas Carol" may seem superfluous at times but I applaud its bold, dark tone and believe that it captures the heart of the story up until the very end. The ending lacks the Christmas spirit that I look for in a Christmas Eve tradition but I look forward to introducing my children to this interpretation of the story once they are old enough to handle its tone.
½ December 26, 2016
Puntaje Original: 7.0

La dirección artística es increíble, que aunque trata de un tema retocado en las películas navideñas, funciona bastante bien, y es un film ideal para estas épocas. Finalmente destacar la impecable dirección de Robert Zemeckis.
½ December 25, 2016
Visually stunning, but in the end it left me cold, just as many of the recent Disney films of classic tales do. I was also surprised at how much was lifted from the 1953 Allister Sim version.
December 25, 2016
How is this movie rotten, it is fantastic.
December 23, 2016
It's no Muppets or Polar Express!
December 23, 2016
Finally saw this after seeing the play @ Shakespeare Tavern. I really enjoyed the story and the adaptation.
December 20, 2016
this is a great xmas movie
December 17, 2016
No hesitation in saying this is by far the best adaptation of Dickens' marvellous fable. Zemeckis keeps his camera moving, treating many of the sequences like roller coaster rides but having the sensitivity to allow the opening especially to build slowly. The production design is gorgeous, the scares intense, and Jim Carrey is terrific as Scrooge (and the ghosts). Bafflingly underrated - a real treat. Not for young kids though.
½ December 16, 2016
Well done version of the classic.
December 13, 2016
A new xmas classic on a creepy tone for kids.