The Duchess of Langeais (Ne Touchez Pas La Hache)(Don't Touch the Axe) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Duchess of Langeais (Ne Touchez Pas La Hache)(Don't Touch the Axe) Reviews

½ July 6, 2013
Literate adaptation but slow-moving and overlong.
July 21, 2012
How anyone could rate this movie higher then zero stars is beyond me. The slowest, stupidest, most lame movie I've seen in a long time. A complete waste of time- I only managed to watch the entire 138 minutes because I was sick in bed. Depardieu probably can act, given the chance. The rest of the cast looked like a bad high school play. The editing was so idiotic, silent film technics were used throughout the film to give you a sense of passing time. Like: "Meanwhile, back at the ranch" white text against a black background. I could go on.... view this one as a bad joke if you're desperate enough to watch it.
½ October 14, 2011
Long and frustrating, but intoxicating for some reason. A romance of completely unconsummated love.
September 11, 2011
I'm sure Balzac would have loved this adaptation of his work but the acting was much too melodramatic for my liking. Jeanne Balibar spends her whole time swooning and collapsing onto sofas and Guillaume Depardieu drove me mad as he clacked around on his wooden leg with his floppy hair. The film was far, far too long....
½ May 31, 2011
An elegant tale chronicling the complex and failed love affair between a married duchess and a decorated army officer. Rivette films the action beautifully with a camera that floats through the room, while unfolding the story in a subtle manner. Most interesting in the film is the duchess' choosing of religion as death to escape her fatally flawed relationship. What is for many a choice to a fuller kind of life becomes for her a means of ushering in her death.
½ December 12, 2010
Highbrow, theatrical two-hander about a cat and mouse relationship between a blustery general and a coquettish duchess in 1820s Paris. The emotional violence is portrayed brilliantly but the critical scenes lack focus.
½ November 23, 2010
I do enjoy some period pieces, but this one not so much :(
October 4, 2010
After watching The Duchess of Langeais I was unsure whether I just watched a terrific minimalist film or the excitement equivalent of viewing over 2 hours of the fireplace channel. Yes, there are plenty of fires with the wood cracking, so this film is a must for pyros. However, the story itself concerns a married duchess and her almost affair with an aristocratic French officer. The two meet, flirt, then one denies the other. The sexual frustrations are felt throughout by characters and viewer alike. Certainly a mockery of bourgeois morals, The Duchess of Langeais is beautiful to look at, but still somewhat empty.
½ January 3, 2010
Unfortunately this is the end for Guillaume Depardieu and it isn't as polished as other period pieces that I am more taken with.
½ October 16, 2009
L'ennui dans ce film, c'est que la realisation de Rivette, sobre, avec du recul, de la contemplation, de la distance, appelez cela comme vous voulez, ne soutient guere la passion, la frustration, les elans des personnages ; les deux acteurs sont bons, mais ils ne peuvent pas tout tout seuls.
½ July 22, 2009
Started well and then took so long to go nowhere. Disappointing. Based on Balzac? Maybe.
June 28, 2009
Slow and seductive. The colors here are so rich and sumptuous that they both distance the viewer from the movie, letting one appreciate the meticulous technical aspects of the film, and draw the viewer in so that one wants to drown in them (and the passions they represent). In some ways a very old story about society's conventions crippling a couple's ability to be together--but told playfully, with intertitles reminiscent of a silent movie but also serving to comment on and fill out the story. An intellectual treat.
May 15, 2009
it's really a french movie based on french classic novel.
RIP G.Depardieu.
½ May 10, 2009
im normally a big fan of rivette's grandiose style but this was just too dull for me. it was magnificently shot but it couldnt keep my attention. ill take history of marie and julien instead.
March 28, 2009
Lovely and sad story... It really made me think about the meaning of love. It is not needed to show a single kiss between both lovers to show how deeply they loved each other... Lovely....
March 16, 2009
I agree with Nielsen's review. This film is moving in many ways. The last lines of the movie summed it up perfectly.
February 22, 2009
I can't imagine watching this movie and not feeling a little something. It's amazing. It's so incredibly sad that Guillaume Depardieu is dead. It takes real work to make an emotionally crippled kidnapper seem like a sorta pitiable person. The ending lines are so sad and poetic
February 22, 2009
Don't bother, really
Liloh
½ February 10, 2009
Guillaume Depardieu Like Father like Son, we use to say.

Ne Touchez Pas La Hache : Don`t touch the Axe.

I LOVE FRENCH! I would love to translate the Quotes, though they dont sound tasty like in French.
WOT iz wif the review? The rating speaks for itself!