The Bad News Bears Reviews

• 6h ago

Funniest baseball movie of all time. 9.5/10

Funniest baseball movie of all time. 9.5/10

• Apr 08, 2021

A comedy about the worst baseball team becoming the best bad influence. Director Michael Ritchie and the late Walter Matthau and Tatum O' Neal. Morris is an ex-baseball minor league player who spends his day drinking. His lawyer-councilman Bob recommends he coaches a boys team. It's all out of spite against the league who denies his son to play given how talented he is. These boys are inexperienced and stink on the field. Morris' last attempt is to have a girl Amanda join the team to up their winning streak. But the rest of them are against the idea. Plus they both have rough past with Morris briefly dating her mother then one day he took off. These kids are bad news indeed with the bad attitudes, bad language, and crummy play antics. True this movie is a product of the time; with all the racial and homophobic slurs. Not to mention the violence inflicted on several characters. But give credit it started some familiar tropes in this genre. Even a terrible team can come together. It blends heart, comedy, and wicked satire. Matthau's performance stands out even if his character is less than sympathetic. The kids manage to keep up too with all the cynicism involved and the precociousness to win or play by the book. Just make sure to skip the remake!

• Feb 18, 2021

this was good! Walter Matthau plays a great grumpy old man & the kids are spunky. it's a nice story & who doesn't love baseball?

• Feb 09, 2021

There really is no sequel, comparison, or spin off that tops this. Perfectly written and performed.

• Jan 22, 2021

The greatest sports movie of all time. A movie about team work and never giving up.

• Jan 20, 2021

Man, putting whiskey in his beer first thing in the morning. Now that's another level of alcoholism. Jeez, Engelbert is such a fat useless lard of kid. I love how Lupus made Buttermaker a martini like it was nothing. Wow, Tatum O'Neal, which is also Brian O'Neal's daughter, has a strong throwing arm on her. She must have practiced with her dad or something because she's even got good form. Tatum is a real strong independent type that doesn't take herself too seriously. Holy shit the Kelly Leak kid, the one who drives a motorcycle around, is the same actor who played Rorschach in The Watchmen. That's so crazy cuz I thought the kid was a girl for a hot second. There's a real sweet character study here with Buttermaker. Here's a guy who's an alcoholic, has no ambitions hopes or dreams, has no real purpose or reason to live. Just goes day by day drinking, smoking and being a grumpy old fart. Then these kids, including Amanda, come into his life and slowly he starts to come around. Sometimes what kids need in their life is a good male role model. And sometimes what washed up alcoholics that have nothing to live for need in their lives are kids that can lift their old spirits up. Wow, this movie is kind of like a no holds barred kind of ordeal. The kids using racial slurs and cursing like it's nothing lol. This movie's got a lot of heart. Feels strangely familiar. Filled with plenty of interesting and likable characters. It's got a lot of grit to it. Very honest. Something we don't really experience in movies nowadays. The 70's were all about that and we need that back. Fucking hilarious movie too and very cleverly written. Pretty sentimental without getting too mushy, it's honest. Very sweet and charming movie. I loved every minute of it and I'd watch it again in a heartbeat. I MUST own it.

• Dec 19, 2020

This movie is driven by an excellent lead performance by Walter Matthau and the kids he is surrounded with. It has a strong blend of humor and drama and serves as a decent father-daughter movie with Tatum O'Neal after Paper Moon. I do find that racism and problematic dialogue to be a bit jarring but it gets overshadowed by the drunken antics, and youthful exuberance of the cast. Also I'll also appreciate any movie that showcases how awful sports parents can be.

• Dec 06, 2020

Nice movie, I think it one of the best baseball movies in history

Nice movie, I think it one of the best baseball movies in history

• Nov 18, 2020

With a lovable cast and front man, the original Bad News Bears is one of the best sports movies of all time.

• Nov 17, 2020