The Birds - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Birds Reviews

September 5, 2016
Great movie. Surprisingly nobody got covered in bird poop.

I find it hilarious how Alfred's last name is *BLEEPED* out of the reviews.
August 31, 2016
The Birds is one of Alfred Hitchcock's most iconic films, along with Psycho and North by Northwest. The film has good acting from both Tippi Hedren and Rod Taylor. The film is very well directed by Hitchcock as there is a lot of build up which may feel slow but is necessary to make us care about the characters. Once the birds attack the film is very thrilling and gets more and more tense until you get to the end. All of the bird attack scenes are very tense and get quite violent which is surprising considering this film was made in the 60's when censorship was a lot stricter. The film is well written and edited and isn't really boring although it does move at a slow pace. There are lots of iconic and thrilling moments such as the iconic phone booth scene and the school scene. The school scene is a very tense and very well set up scene that is brilliantly directed by the brilliant Hitchcock and has a great pay off. The scene where Tippi is attacked in the attic is quite possibly the most disturbing and tense moments. Hitchcock wanted this scene to feel like a rape and he really captured the intensity and horror perfectly. The bird attack is also well set up as we get brief little hints there is something wrong with the birds before they attack so when they actually do attack it's been well set up and doesn't come out of nowhere. While this is a very good film it is quite dated. For one the birds are obviously super imposed and while some shots of them attacking looks real, most of it looks rather fake which is understandable as this film is nearly 50 years old. Also while the set up is necessary I do feel it goes on for too long and does get a little tedious. Also the lack of music I feel at points is very noticeable like when the mother character finds this dead body it does feel a little odd with no music. However the birds is a really good if not great film. I highly recommend it to any fan of films or in particular fans of Hitchcock. The Birds is a classic and while not Hitchcock's best it's very good. B+
August 24, 2016
always thought this was overrated
½ August 20, 2016
Underwhelming at best
The film's pace is sloppy to say the least
The birds themselves only pop up in spades which is a shame because that's when the movie is exciting
The ending is something to be desired
Still the best suspense portion by Hitchcock himself is the last 10 min worrying if these people can make it out ok
It does make these flying creatures way more pesky and freaky
August 16, 2016
É de apavorar e, mesmo com o desgaste evidenciado em algumas cenas, a direção inteligente de Hitchcock faz de "Os pássaros" um imortal clássico do horror.
½ August 13, 2016
A mediocre film where Hitchcock was obviously typecast into making a horror flick after the excellent PSYCHO.
½ July 22, 2016
"The Birds" has its own style for the first time, looks like a romance movie, but one always gets a sense that something strange, this is very good, and is the face of Hitchcock, each character is very well depth, nothing is shallow, so I think "birds" as one of the best scripts of Hitchcock movies (along with Vertigo), the performances are great (Tippi Hedren beautiful as ever), the picture is beautiful, this the peaceful landscapes on the roads, to the scenes of pure suspense, with red sky, aprontas birds and a desperate atmosphere in the air, the soundtrack is almost non-existent, but it does not really miss. The movie is great, but has some problems, the film has some scenes that start in spectacular fashion, you're all euphoric, and the scene ends in a silly way, the effects are good for the time, and Hitchcock really tries to leave all very real, if you like suspense, watch "the birds", will not regret it.

(SPOLIER)Many people complain not have an explanation for the attack of the birds, well, I think the best, but we can deduce, as Hitchcock leaves clues, dialogue in agriculture, the canaries in the cage, every work of fiction has its internal logic, and Hitchcock tries to show one absurd logic (or not), the animal simply get tired of being overwhelmed, and decides to oppress, and is almost clear in the film, which has a higher intelligence controlling them, remember their attacks in waves, is a mixture of instinct with intelligence, which Hitchcock meant by that? perhaps the creator revolting against the creature a half bizarre logic, but why not? Everyone who draw your own conclusions, this is the magic of cinema.

Forgive my English translator google.
July 19, 2016
I forgive the terrible graphics - Hitchcock's one detour into the supernatural is a fun side-trip.
July 2, 2016
The perfect Suspense movie.
Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant.

Legendary sequences that are etched in ppls minds since they first saw this, it starts out as a romance, and takes a quick, dark left into almost unimaginable terror from the skies.

Watch it again to enjoy some details you likely forgot - not a criticism of your memory by any means, just a reminder of the great flourishes with Alfred at the helm firing on all cylinders.

Clearly this was influential on Jaws terror-from-the-deep, and still I'd love to see what he would have done within the era of Shark Week and animal attack videos on YouTube..lol

There are so many shocks and twists, you can't help but be drawn into each dilemma.

A great work.

5 ominous squawks out of 5
½ June 10, 2016
Who else better than Hitchcock to be able to really make you feel thrilled and paranoic about an animal that normally you wouldnt be scared of. Really impressive how they managed the special effects for that time, I LOVE the technicolor style (most people don't notice this) but it is delightful! I always enjoy playing Where's Hitchcock when watching his movies. All time horror classic film you must watch; book adaptation that doesn't fails, Daphne Du Maurier is a suspense goddess.
½ May 24, 2016
This Alfred Hitchcock masterpiece was not nearly as good as rear window or psycho but it is one of the great classics to watch
½ May 12, 2016
The Birds still succeeds to this day bc it delivers it's fright via suspense. The theme may sound obvious/mundane (killer birds) but Hitchcock masterfully blends tension with a killer score to scare the viewer. It's well worth a watch, especially on a windy Autumn night.
April 20, 2016
What an innocent classic, quirky film. I don't think there has every been another film made like it. The bird attack was funny considering what can been done in film these days.
April 15, 2016
Oh let's take the kids outside, that will be safe. Oh what's that noise? Let's go upstairs. During his tim Hitchcock was thought of as a B-Movie director and only later thought of a genius, I think the truth is somewhere in between. This is a perfect example, there's a lot of jarring stuff. (Kids obviously laughing as they get attacked, jarring shots while people look into the camera.) Also this film is full of 'why don't they just' moments, which means you never engage. It's takes about an hour to get going. Apart from that...it's entertaining enough.
½ April 3, 2016
The lack of an epic crescendo seems to add to the film's greatness, though my plebeian expectations were a bit shocked.
March 29, 2016
Oh my gosh, how is this pile of garbage a classic. the visual effects suck, the movie isn't scary in any way, the acting is horrific, and the movie just sucks. The Birds made me laugh my head off, for that it gets more than half a star.
½ March 27, 2016
The Birds (1963) ??? 1/2
Very scary thriller from Hitchcock hasn't dated one bit. Bizarre occurrences with birds spring up in San Francisco. Tremendously suspenseful, yet not quite at the level of the Master's full capability. Final scene is still impressive.
March 26, 2016
It's no Psycho but The Birds is still good.