The Birds - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Birds Reviews

September 21, 2017
Unforgettable, unmatched and unsurpassed.
September 7, 2017
I usually like films from legendary director Alfred Hitchcock.
His brand of suspense thrillers and technical film wizardry for the era are strongpoints. So it is with some degree of trepidation that my review of such a well known Hitchcock film is mediocre. The lowest I have rated one of his films.
I just found the build up starring the two principal actors Tippi Hedren as Socialite Melanie Daniels and Australian Rod Taylor as San Francisco lawyer Mitch Brenner...boring.
It begins with some potential romance scenario where Brenner and Taylor meet each other in a pet store before the film cuts to Daniels driving up the California coast to a resort called Bodega Bay where Taylor spends weekends with his domineering mother Lydia Brenner (Jessica Tandy).
Eventually some bird action occurs as Daniels is attacked by a rogue seagull.
Scenes are shown featuring other bird species in attack mode such as sparrows and crows.
The horror of the bird attacks look tame by modern standards but I imagine back in 1963 they caused a stir.
In one scene a dead body with no eyeballs is shown.
The film was produced way before computer effects so relies on special effects from cameras and film. They do the job adequately.
The film ends quite abruptly without providing adequate resolution in my opinion. Questions are left unanswered. Why do the birds attack the coastal town?
Does outsider to the town Daniels have some link?
½ September 3, 2017
Alfred Hitchcock lets go of all of his symbolism and goes straight for the jugular in this horror-laced suspense thriller that turned out to be one of his most talked about films. Tippi Hedren makes her film debut as a spoiled socialite who pursues a potential suitor (Rod Taylor) after a chance encounter at a pet store. The story unfolds in a quiet beach town in California as residents are being pursued by unusually angry birds at an alarming rate. The reasoning for the attacks are not the point here; but rather the sense of humanity that occurs when danger is imminent. Jessica Tandy plays Taylor's mother and Veronica Cartwright his sister; while Suzanne Pleshette is a school teacher in the town; all part of the mystery surrounding the enraged birds. A great storyline and some shockingly graphic depictions of the attacks make for an unsettling film experience from the master of suspense.
August 22, 2017
I'm really not sure why this movie became such a hit. Were the people in the 1950's that gullible? The movie is well done and I love Tippi Hendron - but the premise is pretty unbelievable. If Hitchcock had at least chosen birds of prey, like hawks and vultures, I would've bought it. But seagulls and sparrows, really?? The part where the seagulls are smashing through the windows and attacking Rod Taylor - without breaking their little necks and pecking through a wooden door - I thought, "This is like a comedy!" lol! Anyway, its a fun watch if nothing else.
August 18, 2017
The final shot depicts a successful invasion, an inversion of a scenario that might have been when this house and all others were built. The shot unnervingly comes from the house?s POV, literally a bird?s eye view of their victory over the humans. Hitch doesn?t seem like an animal rights activist, but with this film in particular, you have to wonder if he isn?t making a statement about man?s displacement of habitats during the growth of civilization, as the birds have now displaced the home owners of this whole hamlet. Earlier in the film, our protagonist Mitch questions why birds should be in cages. In the climactic third act, the birds will encage the humans in their own home. Like Planet of the Apes, we?re experiencing role reversals between human and another kind of animal. Hinge upon an animal?s freedom, especially a bird?s, and they?ll hinge upon yours.
August 6, 2017
Rewatched again last night. Still love this film. Brilliantly creepy, and with no true explanation as to why its all happening. Definitely a classic. Some fantastic shots throughout....the crows on the playground being a particular favourite.
August 3, 2017
The Birds is Hitchcock's one and only "monster" movie, and it's quite good, despite some slow pacing in the beginning, special effects that suffer today, and a questionable central performance Tippi Hedren. It thrives on assured, confident direction, some excellent sequences, great sound design, and a thoughtful message about man vs nature.
½ August 2, 2017
The Birds is best know for the dread and unease of the last half hour, but what surprised me upon seeing it again is the intimacy with which it portrays the townspeople of Bodega Bay, each one really well played. The exterior shots of the town and countryside are also stunning.
July 31, 2017
A classic Hitchcock flick that builds up with a long but good story and plenty of thrills. That also shines in its own right even if it is somewhat lower than his other films.
July 13, 2017
I still feel bad for poor Tippi having to deal with actual living birds but it's hard to argue with the end result. I still get really nervous when I pass a tree which has large numbers of birds in it.
June 26, 2017
Decades later The Birds still manages to maintain its suspense. The film is filled with wonderful camera work and a surprisingly deep backstory. It takes its time building a budding romance, a simmering family drama, and a classic horror thriller. With the Birds Hitchcock gives the viewer two seemingly distinct and interesting narratives that in the end satisfyingly coalesce together as one.
June 26, 2017
I will never ever look at birds (especially crows or seagulls) the same way again!

This film is extremely terrifying with "birds" being the terrifying concept which works brilliantly. I haven't been frightened by the film that much in a long time.

Hitchcock sets the film up quite nicely with a simple romantic plot which turns into a "run for life" bloody fight with nature.

He directs some scary but lovely shots that make you feel like your 'Tippi' Hedren screaming for your life.
If you like your classic horrors, this is right up your street.

"The Birds" - terrifyingly brilliant, extremely scary concept and wonderfully directed. Alfred Hitchcock said "It could be one of the most terrifying motion pictures I have ever made"
Well, for me, it's the most terrifying film I have ever seen and I loved it!
½ June 14, 2017
Let's just be honest: this movie is the reason I don't like big groups of birds. The camera shots are fantastic at building terror and suspense. However I feel like the film ends pretty abruptly and you don't get to find out why the birds have gone mad. I also thought the romance was awkward and undeveloped. But it's still a great movie.
May 20, 2017
The final masterpiece by Hitchcock. Hitch should've retired after finishing this one.
May 10, 2017
Hitchcock does it again! One of horror cinema's finest!
April 30, 2017
Halfway through watching this I began to think that it must actually be a comedy film- but no. This ridiculous film actually takes itself seriously. After the first few bird attacks I stopped wondering what would happen next and just started wondering when the film would end. And even the end wasn't satisfying- the film just stops (but thank god it does).
April 15, 2017
I'll never look at a bird in the same way again. This Hitchcock thriller is almost two movies in one. At the start we have clever sexual tension between the two lead actors. Then we have birds featuring some very good special effects for that era. The only thing I didn't like was the ending. 1001
March 8, 2017
An obvious must-see. Still creepy to this day.
½ February 22, 2017
The Birds was my first exposure to Alfred Hitchcock. The Birds is a solid horror film that just continues to build suspense. The characters are all great and personal. The special effects hold up well. The best thing about this movie is that they give us no answer. We have no clue why all of a sudden the birds turn on humanity. The great Horror films never reveal things like this. The Birds is a really solid Horror film everyone should check out at least once.
½ February 1, 2017
A scary and suspenseful movie