The Birds - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Birds Reviews

August 18, 2017
The final shot depicts a successful invasion, an inversion of a scenario that might have been when this house and all others were built. The shot unnervingly comes from the house?s POV, literally a bird?s eye view of their victory over the humans. Hitch doesn?t seem like an animal rights activist, but with this film in particular, you have to wonder if he isn?t making a statement about man?s displacement of habitats during the growth of civilization, as the birds have now displaced the home owners of this whole hamlet. Earlier in the film, our protagonist Mitch questions why birds should be in cages. In the climactic third act, the birds will encage the humans in their own home. Like Planet of the Apes, we?re experiencing role reversals between human and another kind of animal. Hinge upon an animal?s freedom, especially a bird?s, and they?ll hinge upon yours.
August 6, 2017
Rewatched again last night. Still love this film. Brilliantly creepy, and with no true explanation as to why its all happening. Definitely a classic. Some fantastic shots throughout....the crows on the playground being a particular favourite.
August 3, 2017
The Birds is Hitchcock's one and only "monster" movie, and it's quite good, despite some slow pacing in the beginning, special effects that suffer today, and a questionable central performance Tippi Hedren. It thrives on assured, confident direction, some excellent sequences, great sound design, and a thoughtful message about man vs nature.
½ August 2, 2017
The Birds is best know for the dread and unease of the last half hour, but what surprised me upon seeing it again is the intimacy with which it portrays the townspeople of Bodega Bay, each one really well played. The exterior shots of the town and countryside are also stunning.
July 31, 2017
A classic Hitchcock flick that builds up with a long but good story and plenty of thrills. That also shines in its own right even if it is somewhat lower than his other films.
July 13, 2017
I still feel bad for poor Tippi having to deal with actual living birds but it's hard to argue with the end result. I still get really nervous when I pass a tree which has large numbers of birds in it.
June 26, 2017
Decades later The Birds still manages to maintain its suspense. The film is filled with wonderful camera work and a surprisingly deep backstory. It takes its time building a budding romance, a simmering family drama, and a classic horror thriller. With the Birds Hitchcock gives the viewer two seemingly distinct and interesting narratives that in the end satisfyingly coalesce together as one.
June 26, 2017
I will never ever look at birds (especially crows or seagulls) the same way again!

This film is extremely terrifying with "birds" being the terrifying concept which works brilliantly. I haven't been frightened by the film that much in a long time.

Hitchcock sets the film up quite nicely with a simple romantic plot which turns into a "run for life" bloody fight with nature.

He directs some scary but lovely shots that make you feel like your 'Tippi' Hedren screaming for your life.
If you like your classic horrors, this is right up your street.

"The Birds" - terrifyingly brilliant, extremely scary concept and wonderfully directed. Alfred Hitchcock said "It could be one of the most terrifying motion pictures I have ever made"
Well, for me, it's the most terrifying film I have ever seen and I loved it!
½ June 14, 2017
Let's just be honest: this movie is the reason I don't like big groups of birds. The camera shots are fantastic at building terror and suspense. However I feel like the film ends pretty abruptly and you don't get to find out why the birds have gone mad. I also thought the romance was awkward and undeveloped. But it's still a great movie.
May 20, 2017
The final masterpiece by Hitchcock. Hitch should've retired after finishing this one.
May 10, 2017
Hitchcock does it again! One of horror cinema's finest!
April 30, 2017
Halfway through watching this I began to think that it must actually be a comedy film- but no. This ridiculous film actually takes itself seriously. After the first few bird attacks I stopped wondering what would happen next and just started wondering when the film would end. And even the end wasn't satisfying- the film just stops (but thank god it does).
April 15, 2017
I'll never look at a bird in the same way again. This Hitchcock thriller is almost two movies in one. At the start we have clever sexual tension between the two lead actors. Then we have birds featuring some very good special effects for that era. The only thing I didn't like was the ending. 1001
March 8, 2017
An obvious must-see. Still creepy to this day.
½ February 22, 2017
The Birds was my first exposure to Alfred Hitchcock. The Birds is a solid horror film that just continues to build suspense. The characters are all great and personal. The special effects hold up well. The best thing about this movie is that they give us no answer. We have no clue why all of a sudden the birds turn on humanity. The great Horror films never reveal things like this. The Birds is a really solid Horror film everyone should check out at least once.
½ February 1, 2017
A scary and suspenseful movie
January 7, 2017
10 out of 10:

Thanks to incredible special effects, acting, and directing, The Birds makes innocent animals into terrifying ones.
January 7, 2017
This movie really does not live up to it's reputation. It is way too long and boring. The few scenes that have birds, while scary, do not compensate for it's empty plot.
September 5, 2016
Great movie. Surprisingly nobody got covered in bird poop.

I find it hilarious how Alfred's last name is *BLEEPED* out of the reviews.