The Black Hole - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Black Hole Reviews

January 16, 2019
Beautiful and ominous film from beginning to end. no need for character development as the crew are there to discover the horror with you as they explore deeper into the mad mans mind that will draw them to death one way or another. And, who really is Maximilian, he follows no orders and The madman is sacred of him and is abandoned by him, looks to me like the story goes deeper, as who was the one who discovered extending human life into robot form? did they discover it to extend their own life?
January 9, 2019
This is one of the best great early 80's SciFi adventures of all time. If you are a SciFi buff of any kind, see this movie ASAP.
December 11, 2018
Back when Disney made shit movies. Oh wait a second, they still do.
November 16, 2018
Everything about this movie screams Epic from the score to the effects. Unfortunately the script and director fall short.
October 20, 2018
Love Disney, Love Sci-fi, a decent cast, but what a stinker of a movie, so sad.
September 29, 2018
Disappointing - intriguing central plot but poorly written and directed.

A spaceship, the USS Palomino, encounters a massive black hole. To the amazement of the crew, stationed on the edge of the black is the USS Cygnus, a ship thought lost 20 years earlier. The Cygnus was commanded by Dr Hans Reinhardt, a scientific genius. The crew warily board the Cygnus...

Intriguing central plot - the mystery of the ghost ship, its non-human crew, the mad/genius scientist in command, the Cygnus's mission. Yet, from the word go, the intrigue is undermined by a weak script and poor direction.

Plot is disjointed, sub-plots are half-baked, some scenes just make no sense at all and dialogue is often cringeworthy. The cast is decent - Maximillian Schell, Robert Forster, Anthony Perkins, Ernest Borgnine, Yvette Mimieux - but they largely end up looking like hammy amateurs due to the poor direction. Only Maximillian Schell comes away looking like someone who knows how to act, and this largely because his role required him to act in an over-the-top, larger-than-life sort of manner.

It's not all bad though. The movie is fairly entertaining and the general plot direction was interesting. Unfortunately, that is negated by the random, nonsensical ending.

Ultimately, quite disappointing, considering the potential the movie had.
½ February 6, 2018
It's was just like Star Wars, but without the dynamic action, edition and lovable characters. Well, the droids weren't that bad.
½ December 5, 2017
Saw this rubbish when it first came out. What a waste of money. I fell asleep while trying to watch it. It has to be one of the worst films ever made.
August 19, 2017
A truly bizarre film that started a dark trend for Disney in the eighties. The ending is really trippy. I mean really, really trippy. It wasn't always easy to follow, but the special effects were awesome. (First and only viewing - 9/18/2010)
July 19, 2017
One of my all time favorite Disney flicks. Very dark, very creepy, downright disturbing in a lot of ways. I still watch it several times a year.
½ June 14, 2017
Not a very entertaining movie in my opinion
June 11, 2017
Is it still as boring as it was in 1999?
½ May 22, 2017
Well, what an intergalactic snoozefest this turned out to be. I've been meaning to watch it for years because I had the golden book when I was a kid. The good thing about golden books however, is that they only have about 10 pages and it's mainly pictures designed to visually impact the kid reading them. This film is Disney's answer to Star Wars and while it has a lavish production and great special effects, it is almost entirely lacking in tension, thrills and excitement. Infact, the first three quarters of this film is so ass-numbingly boring that the final pay-off with lasers and explosions and attempts at 2001-style psychadelia, feels a bit too late to redeem the story. Oh, Anthony Perkins is in it and there is a cool robot called Maxmillian who is programmed to do bugger all except float around in mid-air and occasionally try to kill people. The producers had it the wrong way round. The film treatment should have been based on the golden book.
April 16, 2017
Awful script and everything else. A dark ages for Disney at this time indeed.
February 23, 2017
Disney's answer to Star Wars has a lavish production and great special effects but is almost entirely lacking in tension, thrills and excitement. Infact, the first three quarters of this film is so ass-numbingly boring that the final pay-off with lasers and explosions and attempts at 2001-style psychadelia, feels a bit too late to redeem the story.
½ February 16, 2017
This movie takes a lot of heat for being scientifically inaccurate but those willingly throwing around the hate fail to recognize that it is a fantasy, not a documentary. It's fun, has some excellent effects, cool robots and a James Bond style villain. There is way more to enjoy than dislike if you take off the snob hat.
July 13, 2016
It's cheesy but of all the cheesy scifi movies out there it's one of the best
July 3, 2016
It's funny. I saw this film as a kid and quickly became very bored, but even then I still fondly remembered parts of it. The creepy scenes and the ship really stuck with me, even if the plot and acting was utter garbage.
June 29, 2016
This is a Sci Fi film that actually makes Independence Day look good. Assembling the oldest ever group of astronauts ever seen, it's a tedious Star Wars wanna be. It does boast a character nearly as annoying as Jar Jar Binks in Vincent (voiced by Roddy McDowell) who sensibly kept his face out of this mess. Bet Anthony Perkins wished he was back at the Bates motel with his Mum!
June 8, 2016
Haven't seen this in forever!