The Black Hole - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Black Hole Reviews

½ June 14, 2017
Not a very entertaining movie in my opinion
June 11, 2017
Is it still as boring as it was in 1999?
½ May 22, 2017
Well, what an intergalactic snoozefest this turned out to be. I've been meaning to watch it for years because I had the golden book when I was a kid. The good thing about golden books however, is that they only have about 10 pages and it's mainly pictures designed to visually impact the kid reading them. This film is Disney's answer to Star Wars and while it has a lavish production and great special effects, it is almost entirely lacking in tension, thrills and excitement. Infact, the first three quarters of this film is so ass-numbingly boring that the final pay-off with lasers and explosions and attempts at 2001-style psychadelia, feels a bit too late to redeem the story. Oh, Anthony Perkins is in it and there is a cool robot called Maxmillian who is programmed to do bugger all except float around in mid-air and occasionally try to kill people. The producers had it the wrong way round. The film treatment should have been based on the golden book.
April 16, 2017
Awful script and everything else. A dark ages for Disney at this time indeed.
February 23, 2017
Disney's answer to Star Wars has a lavish production and great special effects but is almost entirely lacking in tension, thrills and excitement. Infact, the first three quarters of this film is so ass-numbingly boring that the final pay-off with lasers and explosions and attempts at 2001-style psychadelia, feels a bit too late to redeem the story.
½ February 16, 2017
This movie takes a lot of heat for being scientifically inaccurate but those willingly throwing around the hate fail to recognize that it is a fantasy, not a documentary. It's fun, has some excellent effects, cool robots and a James Bond style villain. There is way more to enjoy than dislike if you take off the snob hat.
July 13, 2016
It's cheesy but of all the cheesy scifi movies out there it's one of the best
July 3, 2016
It's funny. I saw this film as a kid and quickly became very bored, but even then I still fondly remembered parts of it. The creepy scenes and the ship really stuck with me, even if the plot and acting was utter garbage.
June 29, 2016
This is a Sci Fi film that actually makes Independence Day look good. Assembling the oldest ever group of astronauts ever seen, it's a tedious Star Wars wanna be. It does boast a character nearly as annoying as Jar Jar Binks in Vincent (voiced by Roddy McDowell) who sensibly kept his face out of this mess. Bet Anthony Perkins wished he was back at the Bates motel with his Mum!
June 8, 2016
Haven't seen this in forever!
½ February 24, 2016
The Black Hole is a bland and boring movie. The plot doesn't make much sense and the visual effects don't hold up that well. It's not a terrible movie, I've seen worse, but this is not one I think I'll ever watch again.
December 15, 2015
People who call this a Star Wars rippoff are clueless. There is no "war" in this movie. Just because it is a sci-fi, it doesn't necessarily mean they're all the same sub-genre. I mean, Star Trek is far more similar to Star Wars.

This film is much closer to perhaps Aliens or even Event Horizon. It should be classified as a Sci-fi Space Horror film and many parts of it is. There's a general "eerieness" to the film which they captured it quite well, especially when B.O.B. told V.I.N.Cent that this ship is really a ship of the dead, a floating tomb.

Most people don't realize how old this film is. Many would say some ideas in there are already used in other films, without realizing those films are the ones copying this film. Overall, I say that this is a very well done film for its era.

It is spooky when it needs to be, exciting during the battle scenes, and was a good mystery from the begining.
½ December 13, 2015
Beautiful lighting, sets and production design - coupled with an outstanding John Barry score and terrific SFX that still hold up today make for a tremendously enjoyable and atmospheric Sci-Fi movie.

A few "cutesy" Disney moments bring it down a wee bit, but don't significantly detract from the otherwise mature space opera.
November 8, 2015
Totally didn't expect this to have such a trippy ending.
November 1, 2015
The Black Hole is a technical and visual achievement, but also a bore of theatrical technobabble, robot horseplay, ghost spaceships, and crazed spacemen.
October 12, 2015
The black hole, in this case, is the zone into which basic conventions of acting and physics are destroyed. A robot with ESP is just the beginning. Wait until the end when spaceship depressurization selectively kills only the bad guys, and exposure to the freezing vacuum of space seems to have no effect on humans. Oh, and if you're tempted to offer this movie credit for being early sci-fi, remember it was made AFTER Star Wars. No excuses. The Black Hole sucks.
½ September 11, 2015
Another film that tried to emulate the success of the original Star Wars.

I found it boring.
½ September 2, 2015
Some cool imagery...terrible at points.. I am a sucker for Sci fi
½ July 2, 2015
It's a Star Wars ripoff.
June 18, 2015
I have a guilty pleasure with this film. I enjoyed the laser battles and the acting but found the film pretty trippy at times.