Casablanca Reviews

• 3d ago

To the extent that I review movies here at all, I tend to focus on those that are a bit more obscure. But, in the unlikely event that someone reads one of my reviews and, wondering what other movies I like, clicks on my profile, this should tell you all you need to know about my taste in film. Casablanca is more than just my favorite movie; it's a crisply directed cinematic depiction of some of the most powerful and interesting themes in life. Casablanca is about love, betrayal, honor, morality, and friendship, all set in the middle of a quintessential battle between good and evil of which the outcome was quite uncertain at the time the movie was made. There's also classic music, humor and a slew of unforgettable quotes that stand the test of time- as does the greatness of this movie. I've seen it now at least a dozen times.

• Jul 30, 2020

Casablanca is one of America's greatest films. An engaging story, impossible situations, and a love story that tugs at the heart-string of the coldest cynics combine to make a masterpiece. One of America's best movies.

• Jul 23, 2020

After hearing talk after talk and seeing lists of the most classic romance films ever made, I decided to watch Casablanca. In World War II, Rick (Humphrey Bogart) owns a cafe/casino in Casablanca, Morocco and obtains secret exit visas to escape Nazi persecution. During which, his ex-lover Ilse (Ingrid Bergman) walks in and they reunite. Ilse asks Rick for favors because she and her husband (Paul Henreid) will die in this city if he doesn't give visas to them. To be honest, within the second Rick glued eyes onto Ilse, I was hooked. Furthermore, I saw more of the despair and regret in both characters as the film continued. Part of the chemistry involves their given circumstances and high stakes, which suggest that she seeks guidance from him before she dies. Despite her desperate needs, Rick drowns himself with so much liquor, hoping to wash away their romance in Paris, that he resents her for quietly departing him. Because of this, you almost feel teary-eyed that he finally agrees to the proposal as well as feel the tremendous connection between the two characters. In case my points weren't an indication, I had a wonderful time watching Casablanca, seeing now why it's considered THE great romance film. (5 Blue Parrots out of 5)

• Jul 22, 2020

Overrated and Rains gave the only performance I found impressive.

Overrated and Rains gave the only performance I found impressive.

• Jul 09, 2020

Just one of the most simple, pure, and emotional movies ever made, there's no way I can give it any less than a perfect score.

• Jun 27, 2020

Without a doubt my favorite film.

Without a doubt my favorite film.

• Jun 26, 2020

By far the greatest film ever made.

By far the greatest film ever made.

• Jun 25, 2020

The PERFECT movie!!! It has everything and done so beautifully!

The PERFECT movie!!! It has everything and done so beautifully!

• Jun 25, 2020

10.0. No words can describe the emotion emitted from Casablanca. It evokes something without the use of action, profanity, or sexual images, but rather true beauty on the screen. What Bergman and Bogart emit together with their simple look of love creates a feeling that is unlike no other. In reality, everything is perfected in this movie, from Rick's humane arc, to the political importance of this movie that still stays relevant to this day.

• Jun 23, 2020

Arguably the best film of all time, Casablanca isn't only a carefully crafted romance but also a deep look into refugee struggles.