Little Shop of Horrors - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Little Shop of Horrors Reviews

November 15, 2017
Featuring entertaining and catchy musical numbers along with a dark and strongly ironic story about a killer man-eating plant offering fame and money, LSOH is a great science fiction comedy that sings very well, especially in the unhappy ending where Seymour and Audrey face the fatal consequences of getting too greedy with the plant.
½ November 3, 2017
A hysterical musical remake of the original Roger Corman dark comedy.
October 30, 2017
10 out of 10:

With great effects, funny and clever songs, great performances, and funny humor makes Little Shop the definition of musical comedies.
October 26, 2017
Before they went on to helm one of the biggest resurgences in film history with Disney's animated musicals in the late 80s-early 90s, songwriters Howard Ashman and Alan Menken wrote a comedic-musical of a forgotten Roger Corman horror movie called Little Shop of Horrors. With lyrics as smart as they are funny, and music as catchy as it is kitschy, they caught the ears of director Oz. Using his history within the Muppets factory to bring to cinematic life the darkly colorful story, he gave us the silver screen adaptation, a wonderful combination of stage and screen that has brought mischievous smiles to audiences for 30 years.
In it, the blessed Rick Moranis plays a florist trying to balance his job, an angry boss, an abused love interest, and her deranged dentist boyfriend. Oh, and a man-eating plant that is the only thing keeping his life afloat. That creation alone is worth seeing the movie for. Its size is imposing, its design is detailed, and even without eyes there is an undeniable life in its puppet form.
As for the story, it's wonderfully simple, letting the songs and silliness reign supreme. It's weakness may be in its direction, which isn't so much bad as it is bland, never really moving away from essentially being a filmed stage production. However, it's hard to really blame Frank Oz, who dealt with so much studio intervention that he had to completely change the ending to make it more palatable, and thus weaker. Thankfully, the director's cut has been subsequently released in recent years, and now we can more easily appreciate the film in all its mean green greatness.
½ October 21, 2017
The good outweighs the bad in Frank Oz's 80s movie version of the doo-wop Broadway smash, but it's a close-run thing. By far the best elements are the brace of Saturday Night Live cameos - John Candy, Christopher Guest, Bill Murray and best of all, Steve Martin as the leather-clad dentist who loves inflicting pain. The songs and music are great too. But the plot is thin and runs out of juice long before the end, and the movie is almost entirely scuppered by the truly abysmal Ellen Greene, over-acting in a manner that explains why she has done nothing since.
October 21, 2017
this movie might be scary but not for me.
½ October 17, 2017
Catchy music and a great cast.
½ August 21, 2017
A childhood Favorite. While many musicals are uninspiring and get old quickly, this comedy horror is delightful from start to finish.
½ August 8, 2017
One of the best musicals of all time full of great music, great characters, and just a whole lotta fun!
July 30, 2017
The music saves this one, because the plot is definitely strange. They had a great team putting together the songs: Ashman and Menken of Disney fame, plus Bob Gaudio from The Four Seasons. I was a little concerned about how Rick Moranis was going to pull off songs like Suddenly Seymour, but he did a really good job. The celebrity cameos are fun. The scenes with Audrey II were my least favorite parts, so as the movie went on I liked it less. And I'm definitely not looking forward to my next trip to the dentist.
July 21, 2017
Weird, awkward, and uncomfortable, with a couple of funny moments.
½ July 17, 2017
Based on an off Broadway musical taken from a 60's B sci-fi feature, this is a greatly directed darkly comedic musical directed by Frank Oz (Jim Henson collaborator and the voice of Yoda). A strong cast including Rick Moranis and more cameos and small roles from celebrities than most high budget movies help to make this a fun campy film to enjoy.
½ May 24, 2017
Watch the Director's Cut! It has the proper ending. Campy, charming, silly, and fun but also wonderfully morbid. And the puppets and miniatures looked amazing! This classic musical remake is wild and darkly funny with great performances. A great metaphor for consumerism, capitalism and greed destroying America from the inside out.
March 19, 2017
It's a fun, campy, and very catchy musical horror comedy film that I personally just love. It is well performed, well-crafted, and well-directed by puppet and film legend Frank Oz.
January 31, 2017
Fun. Great music and great fun. It'll keep you entertained.
January 12, 2017
it's still one of my favorite classic all times movie
½ December 11, 2016
A smartly made musical that will not only make you feel dazzled but you'll laugh continuously for more jokes.
½ November 29, 2016
Fantastic! One of my favorite musicals.
November 25, 2016
What a wonderful mix of horror and music with effects that haven't aged a bit!
½ November 5, 2016
Morbid subject matter, but quite well written! Bill Murray steals the show.