Little Shop of Horrors - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Little Shop of Horrors Reviews

½ November 29, 2016
Fantastic! One of my favorite musicals.
November 25, 2016
What a wonderful mix of horror and music with effects that haven't aged a bit!
½ November 5, 2016
Morbid subject matter, but quite well written! Bill Murray steals the show.
October 30, 2016
Some pretty catchy songs and an entertaining comedic send-up of classic b-movie horror films
October 30, 2016
My favorite musical of all time. It doesn't get any better than this ????????????
½ October 17, 2016
odio los musicales!!!
October 15, 2016
OMG. apparently there's a director cut when everybody dies and the plant take over the world like in the original play. a must for fans.
½ September 12, 2016
One of the best musicals of the 80s.
August 19, 2016
A skid row shop owner purchase's a special plant in this musical comedy that has since its release has become a cult classic. The cast is fantastic.
August 18, 2016
A classic. I don't generally like musicals but this is an exception. It's one of those few films that I can watch over and over again.
August 7, 2016
Everything about this movie just works. From the fully formed characters to the musical numbers and the astonishingly well realised Audrey II. It's 5 stars all the way. It may have originally previewed with a different ending but the ending that we ultimately got was exactly the right choice.
½ July 21, 2016
A rousing, well-tailored adaptation of the Broadway musical, Frank Oz's "Little Shop Of Horrors" is about endearing as it is devious. More than that though, the film is a crowd-pleaser, with catchy songs, lovable characters, a healthy handful of memorable moments, and some truly stellar puppetry and visual effects work throughout.
July 19, 2016
Menken's breakout musical is one of my favorite, but not as sung by this cast. Steve Martin over-acts as usual, and Audrey looked like a man.
July 3, 2016
This movie really surprised me, for one, I didn't realize it was by Alan Mencken and Howard Ashman before I saw it! So it was interesting to hear their early pre-Disney music. The film was definitely an improvement over the original Corman (but the man made it in two days and it's still a fun and lasting film), but I was pleased to find that this film was really excellent. The songs were clever and catchy, the performances are nicely campy, the humor was good. Steve Martin's role was great, but Bill Murray was sort of a let down after seeing Jack Nicholson's original manic performance. Overall a fun musical that improves on the original.
½ June 11, 2016
You know you've got a good movie on your hands when an outrageous premise hardly seems to be outrageous at all. Take 1986's "Little Shop of Horrors" as a suitable example. A black comedy with a musical heart and a man-eating plant named Audrey II as its villain, it's comprised of the things one would only expect a cult fanbase to appreciate. And yet, it's a screwy romp with a universally funny (and glacÚ) heart - it doesn't feel like the strange film that it is because everything about it works so well.
Based on the Roger Corman film of the same name (released in 1960) and the punchy play that the latter directly inspired, "Little Shop of Horrors," directed by Muppets mainstay Frank Oz and written by Howard Ashman, makes the transition from stage to screen with witty swank that makes a great case for more similarly minded adaptations.
It stars the sweetly geeky Rick Moranis as Seymour Krelborn, a lonely-heart florist who spends his days in a flower shop on Skid Row, dreaming of domesticity and somebody to love. Bossed around daily by Mr. Mushnik (Vincent Gardenia), the owner of the outlet and his quasi-father figure, Seymour is miserable. The only thing keeping him from calling it quits is Audrey (Ellen Greene), a co-worker with whom he's infatuated. Kind, shy, and endearingly innocent, she could be his perfect match. If only she weren't going out with Orin Scrivello (a scene-stealing Steve Martin), a sadomasochistic dentist - then there'd be nothing standing in the way of their seemingly mutual affection.
To distract himself from his ever-present adoration, Seymour throws himself into his work, a necessary decision, anyway, because Mushnik is a penny pincher who craves more business but is too cheap to find a fiscal solution. In hopes to please his boss, and give himself something to do, Seymour purchases a mysterious plant from an exotic vendor down the street, which looks like a cross between a Venus Fly Trap and the eponymous antagonist of 1979's "Alien."
The bud, billed "Audrey II" by Seymour, soon grows and comes to be a tourist attraction - Mushnik's shop turns into a hotbed of otherworldly wonders. At first, it's all fun and games, a walk in the park on a cool summer's day. But as Audrey II (humorously voiced by r&b singer Levi Stubbs) continues to thrive, inching higher and higher each day, it becomes clear that this plant isn't as ethereally ordinary as it might have at first appeared to be. And when its appetite transforms from predictable to insatiably bloodthirsty, Seymour may have more than just a diverting personal project on his hands.
With its balance of breezy comedy, painless likability, cynical social commentary, and accomplished musicality, "Little Shop of Horrors" is a movie musical with welcome bite. It embraces its oddities without doting over them (the trio of Motown-esque narrators, embodied by Tisha Campbell-Martin, Tichina Arnold, and Michelle Weeks is an unforgettable asset), and handles its more satirical elements with such incredulous subtlety that it might even be easy to miss how well it touches upon the insanities of consumerism. It's as light and escapist as you want it to be, entertaining for the casual viewer, bitingly parodical for analytics, and tunefully strong for a typical musical lover.
There are two endings, both of which drastically alter the overall effect "Little Shop of Horrors" has on its audience. One is optimistic, allowing for Seymour to be an unlikely hero, and the other is sardonic and fashions Seymour into a victim, Audrey II the unpredicted victor. Studio execs preferred the happier of the two in 1986 and had that one theatrically released, but devoted fans of the project are more drawn toward the misanthropic gut-punch Oz, and the play, envisioned.
But as a closet romantic who likes it when lovable characters discover that life isn't so bad after all, I'm more partial to the sentimental conclusion, though I suppose I'm in a sappier mood now that summer is upon us. But regardless of its various endings, "Little Shop of Horrors" is a delectation no matter what path it takes. Like Audrey II, it's as if it were from another world, being an impressively rich malt of tones.
May 30, 2016
A musical unlike any you've ever seen. Classic.
½ May 27, 2016
One of the rare films from my childhood that still stands up for repeat viewing today!

Frank Oz's Director's Cut is definitely the superior effort though with its more powerful ending and laudable special effects work for the time. The men and women behind that work deserve a damn retroactive Oscar ASAP!
½ May 27, 2016
Update of the musical in this hilarious tale.
May 14, 2016
Really cool! down side is the alternate ending where all the characters died thanks to Adurey 2