Little Women Reviews

• Feb 20, 2020

WHO care about women. they suck and are boring. Booo women.

WHO care about women. they suck and are boring. Booo women.

• Sep 02, 2017

Mervyn LeRoy's 1949 Technicolor version of Louisa May Alcott's classic novel is taken from the same screenplay of the 1933 version. June Allyson is Jo, Elizabeth Taylor is Amy, Margaret O'Brien is Beth, and Janet Leigh is Meg. The colors pop with vitality and the performances are all wonderful; it just lacks the sentimental edge of its predecessor. The support of Lucile Watson and C. Aubrey Smith is every bit as wonderful as that of Edna May Oliver and Henry Stephenson in the first but Peter Lawford, Mary Astor, and Rossano Brazzi look like they walked into the set of the wrong picture.

• May 23, 2015

Your beautiful hair! Jo, Meg, Amy, and Beth are sisters growing up with a father in the Civil War and an outspoken but resourceful mother. The girls begin taking interest in boys and some of the sisters like bad boys, some like good guys, and others just think they have no hope for love. With threat of war constantly on the horizon as a backdrop, watch these four girls slowly become women. "Christopher Columbus!" Mervyn LeRoy, director of Gypsy, Mister Roberts, Quo Vadis, The Bad Seed, Home Before Dark, Random Harvest, Homecoming, and Fools for Scandal, delivers Little Women. The storyline for this picture is well written and contains several peaks and valleys. The script is very well written and executed by the cast that includes Elizabeth Taylor, Janet Leigh, June Allyson, Peter Lawford, Margaret O'Brien, and Mary Astor. "I thought we weren't going to have any secrets between us. That's a girl for you." I came across this on Turner Classic Movies (TCM) and had to DVR it. This is one of Taylor's first films and she is very solid in this picture. The intricate plot is fun and entertaining and the entire film is paced and unfolds well. I strongly recommend watching this classic gem. "I wish I was a horse." Grade: B

• May 19, 2015

A nice enough melodrama, although the screen translation always feel like it needs an injection of excitement to help it along. That said the classic sound-stage production values are high.

• Feb 07, 2015

Great family flick. Arguably the best portrayal of the book. Gorgeous colors and great writing.

• Oct 19, 2014

"Little Women" was a perfect project for MGM, which had a surplus of beautiful young actresses under contract in the late '40s. The story, adapted from Louisa May Alcott's novel, was already sentimental, and it is made extra syrupy by the MGM big-budget gloss. This may be off-putting to fans of the more ambitious 1933 film version, but this adaptation is very good also. Under the capable direction of Mervyn Leroy, everyone in the large cast shines, although Mary Astor is arguably the standout.

• Jun 25, 2014

Remember watching this as a child and would so love to own it.

Remember watching this as a child and would so love to own it.

• Jun 01, 2014

Goddamnit! Who was chopping all those onions during the film? Snif.

Goddamnit! Who was chopping all those onions during the film? Snif.

• May 19, 2013

classic film well acted has stood the test of time

classic film well acted has stood the test of time

• Feb 27, 2013

It was good. One inaccuracy from the book-- Amy is the youngest in the book, but is next-to-youngest as played by Elizabeth Taylor.