The Music Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Music Man Reviews

January 26, 2019
The best musical movie ever made! With the best movie song ever sung: Seventy-Six Trombones!
½ July 27, 2018
Amazingly faithful adaptation of the Meredith Willson Broadway musical with Robert Preston recreating his legendary character of Professor Harold Hill; Shirley Jones matches Preston in the acting department and the supporting cast - including Paul Ford and Hermione Gingold - are wonderful; tuneful score includes "76 Trombones," "Till There Was You," and "Trouble."
May 16, 2018
The Music Man is an all-time classic. There are moments when this movie moves slower than an Iowa Sunday driver, but the songs are undeniably memorable. Robert Preston is iconic as Professor Harold Hill, with Shirley Jones matching his performance beat for beat, and little Ronny Howard is just adorable. What can I say? We all need a simple, silly musical once in a while.
½ February 25, 2017
9.5 out of 10:

It's overlong but hey, its still got a got a smart story, great songs and dancing, and terrific performances.
October 24, 2016
Simply a classic from beginning to end! I wish they still filmed movie-musicals like this.
August 11, 2016
In my humble opinion (!) - this is the best musical movie that was ever made.
June 3, 2016
The quintessential American musical, "The Music Man" features a nimble comic cast (led, of course, by Robert Preston's loveable womanizing flimflam man), a toe-tapping score, and some spectacular choreography by Onna White ("Bye Bye Birdie"). At two and a half hours, the pace never lags, thanks to a lighthearted script and breezy direction, the latter by "Auntie Mame"'s Morton DaCosta. A true classic in every sense of the word.
May 27, 2016
Robert Preston is magnificent in the role of Professor Harold Hill. I love the Americana feel of the movie and many of the wonderful songs enhance that. I thought that using the barbershop quartet of the Buffalo Bills was a really unique aspect of the film. I feel that parts of it are boring, but overall the positives outweigh that. It's a special movie that has already grown on me tremendously since I first saw it. (First viewing - Early July 2013)
December 5, 2015
A Musical Blast
The Music Man. A classic example of a real musical, filled with singing, dancing, romance, and clever humor. Robert Preston and Shirley Jones captivate their audience through their skilled acting, drawing them into the romantic story of a librarian and a salesman falling in love. This well-made film clearly shows what a true musical is all about, as it contains all of the necessary ingredients to be a real crowd-pleaser.
½ November 25, 2015
How thoroughly unpleasant. Ugly characters, ugly music. And what a joke Marian's character is!
August 4, 2015
Must've been Seth MacFarlane's favorite movie growing up.
July 29, 2015
My favorite musical ever! <3
June 22, 2015
I'm not sure why this film is so highly rated. It has some good scenes and an entertaining setup, but in general it doesn't take advantage of the plot it sets up. The songs are generally mediocre, possibly due to Robert Preston's (the lead) limited singing voice. But that's the worst thing I'll say about him because in all other respects his performance is magical. In fact, he's a good part of the reason I rank this film as high as I do.

This is a seminal work too. You've seen a grifter film you've seen a work based on this film. Remember that time Springfield built a monorail? This film. I've never studied the history of con man films but this must date somewhere near the beginning.
May 27, 2015
i love this movie??-? 3/4""
½ May 13, 2015
85% on my Tomatometer.
hunterjt13
April 29, 2015
A con man comes to a small town to form a Boys' Band, but he falls in love with the local librarian.
They simply don't make films with this kind of energy any more, which is a good and bad thing. The Music Man, if written today, would more fully explore the ethical questions associated with protagonist Harold Hill's profession, which is appropriate, but Hill's charm in the person of Robert Preston is infectious and fun and makes all ethical quandaries seem like departures from the fun. All of the musical numbers are scat-style super, and the production design shows of the choreography and high-scale - a scale so high that we wonder where all these people come from.
Overall, The Music Man defies logic and modern story-telling, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have its charm.
December 21, 2014
One of the best film versions of a Broadway musical ever. Very faithful to the play, but translated to film beautifully. Perfect cast, great score. One of the greats.
November 23, 2014
October 26, 2014
A Damn Great masterpiece!
September 13, 2014
Likely better live on stage, bc it's flat on film.
I truly wanted to like it bc it's considered 'classic.'
I watched a full hour and a half before giving up my valiant effort and turning it off.
Plz know I LOVE Singin In The Rain, so it's the mediocrity here that I did NOT like.
Not great on film - it's only for musical die-hards.

Must love:
Shirley Jones' quivering voice for several songs,
a constantly hyper Robert Preston, and
a static on-stage musical filmed in Technicolor that runs for 2.5hrs.