Popeye - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Popeye Reviews

September 24, 2016
Brilliant adaptation of early Popeye cartoons and comic strip. The fact that the antagonist is named Bluto and not Brutus should be a tipoff to the era that Altman was working in.
½ August 3, 2016
A complete bore with some of the worst music I've ever heard. I can't believe how miserably dull this movie is.
July 27, 2016
Quirky, creative and great storyline.
½ July 5, 2016
Better than the last Airbender and Jem and the holograms
½ June 14, 2016
Blow me down.

Popeye arrives in a small seaside town that is currently under the watch of Bluto. Popeye is looking for his long lost father and stays at an inn where Olive Oyl resides, Bluto's love interest. Olive isn't as smitten with Bluto as it seems and she becomes wrapped up in Popeye's adventure, especially when they find a baby. Bluto doesn't take too kindly to Olive's new adventure and throws himself into the fray.

"He'd always throw me in the air...but he wouldn't be there when I came down."

Robert Altman, director of Mash: The Movie, The Player, Gosford Park, Short Cuts, The Long Goodbye, Nashville, A Wedding, 3 Women, and Fool for Love, delivers Popeye. The storyline for this picture is classic Popeye and contains the perfect setting, wardrobe, and shenanigans. The acting was very entertaining and the cast includes Robin Williams, Shelley Duvalle, Ray Walston, Bill Irwin, and Donovan Scott.

"What type of name is Olive Oyl? Sounds like a lubricant."

I always adored this movie and randomly DVR'd it off cable to watch it again for the first time in a long time. I adored how the characters and settings were delivered. The feel of the movie had so much magic, and the actors delivered the characters so well, that I still loved every second of this movie. I strongly recommend seeing this at least once.

"I am what I am. I'm Popeye the Sailor Man."

Grade: A-
June 12, 2016
liked it as a kid, but now it is just weird
½ May 4, 2016
Somewhere between director, Altman, doing "M.A.S.H" in 1970 and "Gosford Park" in the late 90s- he did a lot of crappy movies. "Popeye" can be found in that pile. It's definitely cute and nostalgic to see the animated characters in real life and no cast could have done a better job with those roles- so that's something. However, writing it as a musical to be song by a cast of tone-deaf actors is not a good idea... or making it two hours long. If they would have lost the music, mixed the sound / ADR better, and been a bit more creative in the writing- it would have been more bearable. I didn't like the "Haul A$$" yelled continually at the end. Kids would pick up things like that. Otherwise, not as bad as it could have been. Rating: 5.5 / 10
April 2, 2016
Is this movie crap? Oh yeah, probably Altman's worst film. It's a campy, messy, 2 hour musical based on a beloved action-comedy cartoon....and I love it. It's a Guilty Pleasure.
March 6, 2016
Finally got around to watching this Robert Altman musical, and I can see why it was a bomb. It just doesn't work, nothing about it does. I think Altman was the wrong director for this. It is still an interesting curiosity and worthwhile for Altman fans. I also discovered that the Harry Nillson song "He needs me" performed by Shelley Duvall was from this film, I knew it from the "Punch Drunk Love" soundtrack. This one is for Altman or Robin Williams fans only.
½ March 3, 2016
After ten minutes, I had watched enough of this ungodly awful film.
February 13, 2016
It's hard to believe that this is the first movie that Robin Williams appeared in. Even though it is terrible at parts it definitely has some charm and it isn't as bad as some of the more modern musicals of late. Robin Williams shows the world a glimpse of what was to come.
February 8, 2016
Wow this was awful. Too long and just flat-out boring, this sad attempt at a big-screen version of the classic cartoon is an unfunny and dimwitted embarrassment to its otherwise talented director and lead actor.
½ December 13, 2015
I like this movie, but yeah it was really long. I also have to complain about Popeye not liking the spinach and I don't like the fact that he defeated Bluto with only one punch. But it still was good movie. Robin Williams did a fantastic job as Popeye. Not only did he master talking like him he also managed to act like him. Even thought I'm aware it wasn't a blockbuster but its sixty million dollar box office take was what the film was worth. It also didn't need to be written up as a flop. Paramount and Disney should be ashamed of themselves for doing that. This movie deserves better reception and definitely needs a special edition.
October 29, 2015
A rough watch. The music was fun though
October 26, 2015
It struggles to be as funny as it should be, and Robin William's routine as Popeye can get a little bit irritating, but the cast do their best with a slightly uneven script, including Shelley Duvall playing up the stuck-up, yet ditzy and silly Olive Oil, and there's a sort of charm to the musical numbers and off-beat cartoonish style that... well, essentially strives to feel like a live-action musical cartoon. Whether it works or doesn't work, it has it's likeable moments that make it fairly watchable.
October 12, 2015
How could a live-action Popeye movie be a good idea?
½ September 10, 2015
So unwatchable I wish I could forget it.
½ August 18, 2015
An underappreciated, over criticized and beautifully filmed classic that either People either like or they don't. Polarizing films are often the best... or the worst, depending on whether you loved or hated it.
½ August 17, 2015
i was so confused about this movie