Rear Window - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rear Window Reviews

February 10, 2018
Prolly a perfect movie. Grace Kelly, Stewart and the whole cast are superb. If you don't know Hitchcock, this is prolly the best introduction. 1001 movies to see before you die.
February 7, 2018
A classic and imitated many times after. Perfect in many way and a masterclass in direction . Seen it a few times and still exciting
February 4, 2018
Leave it to Hitchcock to push the envelope. Plus it's amazing what you can do in such a contained story location. It's a classic, smart, sexy, suspenseful, funny, and a bit of a sociological study, fiction or not. If I had any criticism it would be that the climax was too quick; just all build up.
February 4, 2018
Hitchcocks best? They don't get better than this!
½ January 16, 2018
Yeah, another Alfred Hitchcock movie that will make you like you are in the movie. This film takes an angled camera that uses the first person where we as an audience also seem like we are in the movie. Alfred Hitchcock is a master of suspense that always makes us feel disturbing about his films.
January 12, 2018
They don't make em like this anymore.
January 9, 2018
A slow burning plot with a fast build to the climax, this has character and nuance like perhaps no other film. Wow.
January 5, 2018
the best movie made by Alfred Hitchcock and the most suspencful movie I have seen
December 29, 2017
Holds up over 60 years later just as well as when it first came out. An ultimate Hollywood classic.
½ December 26, 2017
M-F

8.2

[Alfred Hitchcock]
December 21, 2017
The film that defined the reaction shot. Masterwork.
½ December 19, 2017
Puntaje Original: 7.5

Una magistral obra de Hitchcock, con personajes interesantes envueltos en una intrigante historia, que hará que valga la pena cada minuto que disfrutas de esta obra de arte.
December 5, 2017
With not a single wasted or rushed scene, immaculate camera work, highly inventive storytelling and many brilliantly conceived, highly suspenseful sequences, Rear Window is also thematically observant and very sophisticated with phenomenal dialogue and a couple of highly memorable lines. Grace Kelly probably gave her finest performance here and this is also one of James Stewart's best works which says a lot for the man of his caliber. The film is also admirably feminist, especially for its time. Palpably intense, brilliantly authentic and almost flawless, Rear Window is in my opinion one of the ten greatest films of all time.
Antonius Block
December 4, 2017
Hitchcock's nod to voyeurism has a very simple premise: a photographer (Jimmy Stewart) is laid up with a broken leg, and finds entertainment in looking out his second floor window at his neighbors. The plot device is that during a heat wave, these neighbors leave their curtains drawn or shades up at all times, well, with the exception of a pair of newlyweds, whose implied activity (and its frequency) is a little joke Hitch gives us early on. He also dials up some eye candy circa 1954 with a dancer who regularly prances about her apartment. Stewart (slash Hitchcock) is a bit of perv, and he's kidded about that by his tough little nurse (Thelma Ritter) and glamorous girlfriend (Grace Kelly). Things get serious when he notices one of the neighbors (Raymond Burr) leaving his apartment multiple times in the wee hours of the night, and that the guy's wife has mysteriously disappeared.

From then on, there is a tension to the film, as we're not sure what's going on, or if anything at all is going on, as Stewart's detective friend (Wendell Corey) is skeptical and provides some alternate explanations. You might say, c'mon, we're pretty sure something's going on, this is a Hitchcock film after all, but consider the uncomfortable light Stewart's character is placed in: spying on neighbors with binoculars and a gigantic zoom lens, suggesting that his friend break the law by searching the guy's apartment without a warrant, and even (gasp) having Kelly over for a little sleepover, despite only having a single bed. It would have been interesting had Stewart's character been darker, e.g. taking pictures of his neighbors, but that may be implied when he breaks out slides showing pictures of a flower garden in the courtyard to try to understand if anything has changed.

Tension ratchets up considerably when Ritter and Kelly investigate on their own, but I won't spoil it. The fact that the action for the entire movies takes place in Stewart's apartment or from its vantage point is a pretty phenomenal achievement. Stewart turns in a strong performance, and Ritter's blunt speculations are effective in spurring our imaginations. I loved the scene which ends with Burr's cigarette glowing in the dark, one of the best moments in the film. The little stories playing out in the various apartments, including a woman who is lonely and depressed, provide interesting subplots. Overall the film is a little too constrained for me to consider it Hitchcock's best, and I could have used a little more darkness in the characters or the plot, but it's certainly very good, and a brilliant example of suspense not requiring fast-paced action or gore.
½ December 1, 2017
Puntaje Original: 7.5

November 29, 2017
Rear window is a masterpiece of cinema. Hitchcock affirms himself as a master of suspense. Rather than using violins to put you on edge, Hitchcock uses the environment as well as the silence of a scene to put you on edge. Ironically enough this film is better than most horror/suspense films made today. Wouldn't recommend it enough.
November 11, 2017
Great suspense movie, keeps you glued to the screen...one of Hitchcock's best.
October 30, 2017
Suspenseful beyond belief but also surprisingly fun and funny, Hitchcock created an absolute masterpiece from start to finish. From the brilliant POV shots to the masterful use of the amazing set, the movie continuously allows to be immersed into this wild situation with our characters who are portrayed to perfection by the actors and actresses. There's no dull moment or dull aspect to be found in this movie. It's pure gold from beginning to end. If there was anything higher than 5 stars, it would certainly receive it.
October 29, 2017
Rear Window: A classic Hitchcock masterpeice that slowly builds from start to finsih in thrilling form.
October 19, 2017
A Hitchcock classic, but everything just happened in a small window still give you a feeling of unreal.