The Ten Commandments Reviews

• Jun 27, 2020

Classic. The mythical story of Moses is over dramatized in the 50's by Cecil B DeMille.

• Jun 11, 2020

These days we have Marvel films, that is our big budget epics. In the 50's and 60's they had their big bible epics. And they can be fine to watch. Especially in there historical context. Charlton Heston is a great actor. I loved him on Planet of the Apes but his performance here is good too. This film with the intermission is almost 4 hours long. I watched it in two sittings. Its abit long. But it's a classic. The part where the angel of death is killing the first borns of Egypt is spooky. When you can hear the screams and lamentations of the people as they discover what plague has struck them now, in the night. When the Hebrews start walking out of Egypt after 400 years of bondage, the film looks colourful both visually and metaphorically. The performances generally are professional it's good stuff. This type of film might seem a little silly for modern audiences. Fair. But I like it. The pharaoh's costume looks fantastic. I'm not an Egyptologist and my area of expertise in history is not ancient lower Egypt. So I cant speak for the historical authenticity of any of this. But it certainly looks brilliant. It sounds superb also. The audio is lovely. And the music is suitably gorgeous. All in all, it's a classic they should be watched at least once. Trying watching it in two sittings if you cant watch it at once. "His God... is God" - Pharaoh "Arise O' Isreal, behold the dawn of freedom!" - Moses

• May 17, 2020

Saw this movie for the first time when I was 9 years old in the theater. I was mesmerized by the colours and story line I was hooked.

• May 15, 2020

The sumptuous production can't save this epic from sinking deep into ridiculousness. Even if Charlton Heston is charming, the whole cast seem to be overacting their lines full of cheesy dialogue. This epic stands thanks to the big proportions of its production, not to its quality as a good film. Over the years, we have been able to realize that DeMille was not a good filmmaker. He was simply a loyal contract director wearing old-fashioned boots.

• May 08, 2020

Revolutionary movie with great dialogue, special effects (for the time), acting, emotion, and drama. A true master piece with unforgettable scenes. Religious or not, highly recommended classic!

• Apr 30, 2020

ONE OF GREATEST CLASSICS OF ALL TIME, MASTERPIECE OF MOVIE

ONE OF GREATEST CLASSICS OF ALL TIME, MASTERPIECE OF MOVIE

• Apr 22, 2020

Considering when it was made you can imagine how incredible of a must-see movie this would have been. I also can't help but see its influence on some of my more contemporary favorites like Raiders of the Los Ark and Gladiator.

• Apr 12, 2020

Outstanding, amazing spectacle! The all-star cast powers the effort from Charleton Heston to Yvonne DeCarlo, all the artists contribute amazing performances. It is a travesty it did not win best picture!

• Apr 12, 2020

Perhaps the corniest performances of all time and the dialog and special effects are laughable but still an entertaining movie. Every time it's on I watch it. I'm not sure why.

• Apr 12, 2020

Despite a lot of white washing in the 1950's. The Ten Commandments even has more diversity than Ridley Scott's Exodus. Though it is now believed that all Ancient Egyptians might even have been black. With that said the film till this day is a true work of art. The film is full of beautiful sets and costumes. As well as a fantastic cast that sticks out less than Exodus. At least to me since I didn't grow up with any of the actors in this movie.