Conflict Reviews

• Apr 09, 2019

Conflict feels similar to some other films that I’ve watched in the noir genre, in particular it reminded me of Diabolique, even though this one was released 10 years earlier. The movie features Humphrey Bogart and he continues to remind me why he is considered a legend. He is able to be funny, loving, scared, angry, and more all in one performance. Sometimes he even layers in a few of these emotions in one scene, which works great when you have a character who is trying to hide something. Just as impressive in this film was Sydney Greenstreet. He has an important role to play in this story, and it was handled with perfection. There are aspects to his performance that are so subtle that you won’t even notice them the first time through. I can’t wait to watch it all again to see what he’s doing with certain scenes that have new meaning after knowing what happened. Alexis Smith was fine as the leading lady, but she didn’t leave a strong impression on me. One of the things I liked most about Conflict is that the whole thing is structured like a mystery. But it’s not a traditional murder mystery, because we know who committed the crime. Instead it is a puzzle to figure out what is happening to the killer, and if he actually was a killer at all. I think they did a lot with the setup to keep it all ambiguous so you are left guessing throughout the film. My only problem with Conflict was that I figured out a key clue from the beginning, because it was pretty obvious for someone who watches a lot of murder mystery shows/films. As a result, I was just waiting to see how the rest of the pieces would fall into place. There was still enough intrigue to keep me in the dark, though. I didn’t know how it all would resolve, and more importantly the movie made me question if I was wrong in the first place. I think Conflict is a strong film noir that deserves a bit more attention, it might not be the greatest, but it’s one more people should see.

• Jun 22, 2018

Watchable lesser known Bogart noir.

Watchable lesser known Bogart noir.

• Jun 17, 2018

Bad Bogart is a nice change and square in the middle of his catalog.

Bad Bogart is a nice change and square in the middle of his catalog.

• Jun 11, 2018

Similar theme to Bogie's other film "The Two Mrs. Carrols" released 2 years later in 1947 where already married husband, Richard Mason have affections toward his wife's, Katherine Mason (Rose Hobart) younger sister, Evelyn Turner (Alexis Smith). And upon the husband driving his wife and her sister home, he would then get into a serious car accident where the only person who was seriously injured is the husband. While still in a wheelchair and is unhappy once his wife refuses to grant him a divorce, he would then plot his wife's death by rigging her car. When the police notify the husband they are unable to locate her body, as a result of him committing perjury by handing the police misinformation, Richard then sees strange indications that his wife may in fact still be alive while pursuing his wife's sister.

• Jun 10, 2018

Very good, most ingenious plot. A coupe of errors: Bogart held his walking stick on the wrong side (his right, same a broken leg - incorrect) and, continuity, a driver turned a car's steering wheel while stationary, then, on next shot the wheels were still straight a she drove off... only then did she turn them. Greenstreet very good, as always.

• Dec 25, 2016

Murder and intrigue.

Murder and intrigue.

• Jun 08, 2015

not a classic but an enjoyable Bogart thriller nonetheless.

not a classic but an enjoyable Bogart thriller nonetheless.

• Mar 05, 2015

another great film by Bogart.

another great film by Bogart.

• Sep 04, 2014

Bogart is great here as always. This is a clever movie.

Bogart is great here as always. This is a clever movie.

• Jan 23, 2013

Bogart and Greenstreet...You Can't Beat 'Em--Interesting psychological mystery!!