The Last of the Mohicans - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Last of the Mohicans Reviews

½ February 28, 2017
Gorgeous movie with forceful soundtrack and mind-blowing cinematography. The story itself is very interesting and it's nice to see an unconventional, for Hollywood, episode from history in a big movie.
February 12, 2017
It's not hard to imagine the sickly director and producers of the flick, licking their lips with psychopathic delight as they use every trope, every turn of the plot to emasculate and denigrate the "evil white man" while they glorify savages who didn't know what a "wheel" was before their contact with civilization as "nobles, in tune with nature".

Hollywood is in the very lead of the racist charge on western civilization.
February 7, 2017
Loosely based on the novel of the same name by James Fenimore Cooper. Set in 1757 during the French and Indian War in North America, a white man (Day-Lewis) adopted by the last members of the Mohican tribe unwittingly becomes the protector of the two daughters of a British colonel, who have been targeted by Magua, a sadistic and vengeful Huron warrior who has dedicated his life to destroying the girls' father for a past injustice. This is an excellent film - part historical, part romance story with a kicker of a climax.
February 3, 2017
This movie...I can't even put it into words! i first seen this at 4 years old...I remember the music vividly and crying when Uncas died...then the adrenaline from Chingachgook's revenge...that was at 4 years old!! Today...it's no different! The best, if not one of the greatest films ever made in Cinema History!
January 25, 2017
10 out of 10:

The Last of the Mohicans offers a great adaptation of the classic novel with great acting, well directed, and packed with plenty of action.
½ January 5, 2017
One of the best Day-Lewis performances of all time
½ October 26, 2016
Love this one, great film and great soundtrack!
October 7, 2016
A great classic, although in my opinion overshadowed by better movies from the same period.
½ July 4, 2016
sort of boring until the middle. oddly humorous when the natives attack.
½ June 9, 2016
Do not try to understand them. Do not try to make them understand you.

The French and Indian war is ongoing and the British have settled just outside the battlegrounds and taken no real side letting them kill each other. One of the British generals, escorting his fiancée (he hopes), across the countryside is caught in the middle of an ambush. Three trappers save them and try to escort them safely home despite the ongoing battles.

"I advise you to seek terms of surrender."

Michael Mann, director of Heat, Public Enemies, Miami Vice, Collateral, Ali, The Insider, Black Hat, Manhunter, The Keep, and Thief, delivers The Last of the Mohican. The storyline for this picture is compelling and very dramatic and has unique and interesting characters. The acting is very good and includes Daniel Day-Lewis, Madeleine Stowe, Russell Means, Eric Schweig, and Wes Studi.

"You've got yourself a colonial militia, General.

I recently came across this on cable and decided to give it a viewing. I remembered liking it as a kid and still found it entertaining today. It's aged a bit, but I still enjoy the characters and feel it is fairly well done. This may not be an all-time classic, but it's worth a viewing.

Grade: B-
May 25, 2016
The Last Of The Mullets, sorry, Mohicans, is a beautifully photographed, well-paced and expertly directed period piece which manages to tell a serious story without heavy sentimentality or extreme sensationalism. Daniel Day-Lewis is reliably excellent in the lead role as a man watching his country being torn by conflict, forced to defend his family and ally with those he should consider his enemies. The love story, while feeling unnecessary, and an act of pandering to Hollywood conventions, still resonates, since the characters are relatable and have on-screen chemistry. The action scenes are wonderful, with Michael Mann knowing exactly where to place the camera and when to movie it. The score is occasionally overbearing, but still manages to match the tone and setting. I can't say it's the greatest action flick I've ever sat through, but I'm very glad I seen it, and doubtless many other people feel the same way.
May 24, 2016
Watched The Last of the Mohicans tonight. An adventure/romance that is beautifully shot. Many people consider it one of the greatest movies of all time. I enjoyed it a lot, but I don't think it's worth of that title, just my opinion. Daniel Day-Lewis rocks it again, as he usually does and the supporting cast is good. The story itself makes it a very good movie
½ April 28, 2016
[7.5/10] -- Michael Mann's rousing, triumphant, and majestic departure from the gritty immorality of the urban hell -- "The Last Of The Mohicans" -- may not be his best work, but it is certainly still something to behold. With incredible action sequences, brilliant special effects, and an inarguably brilliant sense of period, the film not only does Cooper's eponymous novel justice, it does right by the viewer as well.
March 14, 2016
More than several flat parts, the overall good production make this just Ok overall.
March 11, 2016
The Last of the Mohicans was often mentioned as a classic when I was a child but for me, I feel the same about the film as I feel about The Last Samurai. The costuming, performances and backdrop are undeniably stunning but the content and storyline is as tone deaf and historically inaccurate to the point of racism as you could possibly imagine. I understand the adaptive nature, but the book was written in 1826, when slavery was still legal. Without an update, any adaptation would become exactly what The Last of the Mohicans has become, a classic no one wants to talk about.
½ February 17, 2016
A classic from my childhood. The final battle still makes me hum like it did when I was a dwarf of a human being.
½ February 14, 2016
magnificent music!!!
February 11, 2016
A must see, good acting, plot, environment and settings. A lot of the new movies are missing what this movie has.
February 7, 2016
"CINEMATIC | EPIC | POWERFUL | TRAGIC" (90-out-of-100)