Cool Runnings - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cool Runnings Reviews

½ August 1, 2017
A movie about the famous bobsleigh team from Jamaica that competed in the Calgary winter Olymics of 1988. Mild jokes are a keyword here. Not directly un-funny, but at times we witness quite poor jokes.

It's a very safe film, that wins a lot on it's cool story, but doesn't really score on it's execution. Some addons where probably made, some stuff was probably taken away and the result feel polished and something that aimes for younger audiences.

OK acting by the cast, but the originally planned casting was really something. Denzel Washington, Eddie Murphy and Wesley Snipes together with John Candy. Man, that could have been interesting!

5.5 out of 10 eggs.
June 1, 2017
Classic Movie, shame their was never a sequel. However time has passed & John Candy will never be forgotten
May 2, 2017
a classic still holds up
May 2, 2017
Have seen it too many times to count but still remains one of my favourite films. The cast are hugely entertaining and the story is hugely heartwarming and very funny stuff. Love it!
½ April 21, 2017
Its humor is hit-or-miss, and its underdog-sports-movie beats are all at elementary level, but the cast has a way of making their goofball nature be pleasing to watch.
½ April 20, 2017
As a fan of sports, I?ve always enjoyed a good uplifting movie focused on sports. Cool Runnings has been a favorite for a long time because it has all the heart of a good sports drama, but it also has some comedy mixed in to keep it light and fun. I know the story is a heavily fictionalized tale of the first Jamaican Bobsled team, but I don?t really mind that, because I never looked to it for any kind of historical accuracy. The cast is great, full of actors I didn?t know from anything else when they appeared in this film, but supported by the legendary John Candy. In many parts of this movie Candy actually plays it straight and allows the other stars to get the laughs, and it works well. Each character has a few unique and well-established character traits, they all have their own motives, and there are a few different people who experience an arc. The soundtrack is loaded with perfect reggae music that fits the setting and story, and I think Hans Zimmer does a great job of utilizing that style to influence parts of the score. Then when the real dramatic moments come, Zimmer expertly transitions to more orchestral swells to enhance the emotion.

There are definitely some cheesy moments in Cool Runnings. It makes a caricature out of some people, particularly Doug E. Doug?s character Sanka. Most of this is used for comedic purposes so that doesn?t really bother me. I could also see someone who is more critical taking issue with the fact that the film lacks subtlety. Most of what is said can be taken at face value, and there isn?t much nuance in the dialogue. Perhaps the most blatant example of this is when John Candy rants about all the responsibility that falls on the driver of the sled, including all the things he will do, and then later we actually see the driver doing these exact things as described. It makes the movie a little predictable, but I just don?t care. Because I connect with the characters and I?m emotionally moved by the climax of the film, I forgive most of its shortcomings. Cool Runnings is a great family film (if you don?t mind one swear word repeated a few times) because it has humor that should translate for all ages and it has a strong story that could impact anyone. If you haven?t seen it, I highly recommend you give it a shot.
March 12, 2017
We've all seen Cool Runnings, right? It's funny. It's charming. That's all you need.
March 10, 2017
Watched this many times since childhood and it's a slightly cheesy but enjoyable, entertaining, and memorable movie.
½ February 23, 2017
Fresh and inspiring. It's a wonderful family comedy that I have loved through the years. (First viewing - Winter 1993 in theaters)
February 1, 2017
It's good movie to watch
December 2, 2016
Charming, funny and unpretentious, the movie proves itself different than other sports films with its great performances and light tone. Anchored by John Candy in top form.
October 8, 2016
cool movie i like it a lot
September 14, 2016
I thought the movie itself was really great, but the fact that so much of it was total fiction kind of ruined it for me.
½ August 23, 2016
Who doesn't want to cheer for the Jamaican bobsled team? One of the true, great, underdog sports stories that's loosely based on true events. Fun cast and fun to watch (and cheer). Rating: 7.5 / 10
August 21, 2016
Funny, heartwaming and inspiring, Cool runnings is one of the few sports movies that anyone can enjoy.
jamrcla
½ July 30, 2016
I loved this film very funny from start to finish, Based on the real Jamaican bobsled team, A great family film that's still funny today, It's one of those films I could watch all the time.
½ July 28, 2016
Cool Runnings is one of the best sports film that disney has ever made. Cool Runnings revolve around the first Jamaican Bobsled team to compete in the winter olympics and the struggles they went through in order to compete. I really enjoyed this movie because the film is hilarious but still manages to be inspirational, what I also really like about this film is that nothing is taken too seriously. The film also consists of a variety of hilarious/memorable characters and performances but to me John Candy gives a great performance as Irv Blitzer, and in my opinion this is his best film since Planes, Trains, and Automobiles (1987). Cool Runnings is a great film, though it has been said that a lot of the film was completely fictional it is still an instant classic in my book, if you ask me this is one of the best sports films Disney has crafted along with Remember the Titans (2000), The Rookie (2002), and Miracle (2004). For all you sports fans out their I totally recommend Cool Runnings for you, I promise you will not be disappointed.
July 17, 2016
The most charming movie I've seen in a long time.
½ June 2, 2016
I remember this was a big hit when it came out and I seem to recall enjoying it, but it hasn't aged well. This time around I found it very dated, formulaic, and just not funny. John Candy seems to be phoning in his performance, it was last film of his released before he passed. I love Candy and really wanted to enjoy it but it just didn't hold-up for me.