Beloved - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Beloved Reviews

November 26, 2016
Oprah Winfrey's faithful adaptation of Toni Morrison's book of the same title depicting slavery as a vivid psychological horror is affectedly refined but powerfully acted.
May 5, 2016
Former slave adopts girl in this weird and sometimes confusing drama.
½ October 4, 2015
I read the book first, and this usually presents an issue. I'm guilty I guess of wanting the characters to look a little bit as the book describes them but that is minimal. My biggest issue with this movie is Beloved. The book portrays Beloved as a manipulative, character that is seductive. The movie portrays her as a slow mentally challenged ghost. I didn't like that. The way she spoke and acted as if she is retarded. She wasn't like that at all on the book. That ruined the movie for me.
August 23, 2015
Poorly acted and even more poorly directed.
August 13, 2015
Excellent supernatural thriller steeped with African American history.
½ August 9, 2015
This could have been much shorter, and I think it would've been better if it had been.
July 28, 2015
The only thing that keeps me from giving this a full five stars is that it's 2 and 1/2 hour run time might be a little wearying. I thought that a little extra trimming in the editing room could have helped this film's chances at the box office. But besides that, this is one of the best films about demons (both physical and personal) since "The Exorcist."
July 25, 2015
Challenging and complex to watch, "Beloved" is even more so when attempting to write a summary and review.

Jonathan Demme's adaptation of Toni Morrison's novel is bold, intense, almost apocalyptic, harrowing, and extremely disturbing film. While the movie is essentially a surreal portrait of the haunting stigma and aching memory of a culturally-denied impact of slavery and human cruelty assigned to an entire race, it is also an encaging psychological study of maternal relationships.

This movie, like it's source novel is a masterful, shocking and cogently artistic work. It seems almost impossible that a white male filmmaker created this largely experimental neo-gothic and Feminist film.

It even more unbelievable that screenwriter, Richard LaGravenese, had a hand in this translation. I don't intent to dismiss LaGravense's talent. It's just that this movie operates within an entirely different "universe" compared to what one anticipates in his film scripts. These perspectives simple do not appear to connect. Though both Akosua Busia and Adam Brooks share writing credit. These two writers other efforts are equally opposed to "Beloved."

Jonathan Demme's careful use of Cinematographer, Tak Fujimoto, and Film Editors, Andy Keir and Carol Littleton, work fuses the movie into something altogether different from what an audience might expect. This movie is more connected to William Friedkin's "The Exorcist" than any other film.

Oprah Winfrey's performance in this movie has been tragically overlooked. She is every bit as effective here as Meryl Streep has ever been in any of her many films. Danny Glover and Thandie Newton are exceptional as well. But this is Winfrey's film.

It is an understatement to write that this sadly over-looked and often forgotten film sheds a grim light on the most horrific aspects of American history. It also pulls no punches in communicating that these unforgivable atrocities continue to impact the African-American Community today.

"Beloved" was largely ignored upon it's release. I've never really been sure why. Perhaps the surreal and/or metaphorical use of "horror" was confusing to people. Though this doesn't really make sense. The use of "horror" makes perfect creative sense.

I suspect the film's failure had more to do with the fact that this grim societal and cultural study was just too dark for most to take. It is every bit as powerful as "12 Years a Slave" -- in fact, unlike Steve McQueen's film, the metaphor of "horror" allows for a brief escape from the true horrors that the characters must face and move through. McQueen's movie offered no break from reality.

I remain firm in my stance that this is one of the most important films to come out of the 1990's. It is tragic to me that it continues to be ignored. If you have never seen it -- seek it out. Don't let the running time scare you. This is a fast-paced and encaging film. If you have seen it, but it didn't move you. See it again. This is an important film.

Criterion, can you hear me?
½ July 7, 2015
The 3rd worst movie I have ever experienced. What could of been one of the greatest black experience movies of the century turned into a horrible horror movie and damaged the movie careers of some of the most famous black Hollywood actors in history. This is the worst thing Oprah has ever been in and this is also true of Danny Glover. It took this director 4 years to recover from this travesty.
April 26, 2015
Beloved is an incredible films. It is a slave who is visited by the spirit of her deceased daughter. Danny Glover and Oprah Winfrey give amazing performances. The screenplay is well written. Jonathan Demme did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama. Beloved is a must see.
½ February 8, 2015
Powerful, depressing and very, very long. At close to three hours, it virtually enslaves an audience, which may be part of the point.
December 2, 2014
Certain topics the critics go ga-ga over whether the movie is good or really bad like this one.
½ October 19, 2014
Terrible. Unimaginable rape and incest - meant to be telling - is repulsive, shocking, tasteless and disgustingly unredeemed.
Oprah missed by a mile here.
I watched the movie, but that's enough - I'm so turned off that I will not touch the book.
It just sucked.

Creepy, confusing, overly sexual and deeply flawed - stereotypical characters interacting without much decency, rhyme, or reason.
No wonder this went nowhere.

It may have been cathartic for Oprah, but it will only give you bad dreams and pungent, incestuous nightmares.

This is not The Color Purple's sequel, it's a horrifying mess. I read The Color Purple and was enthralled as it was brilliant and cathartic like the movie.

Skip this unloveable mistake.
See The Color Purple again which has class and purpose, something Beloved is glaringly missing.
You'll thank me for helping you escape from this overwrought, oversexed dung pile.
I can't believe Oprah 'went there', still can't believe it.

half-star out of 5
September 21, 2014
totally wicked film.
Cameron W. Johnson
July 19, 2014
After something of a lengthy hiatus, Jonathan Demme made a booming comeback in 1998 by paying homage to both of his dramatic claims to fame, by simultaneously dealing with prejudice and illness like he did in "Philadelphia", and with mental insanity like he did in "The Silence of the Lambs". Actually, maybe the people in this film aren't too crazy for believing in ghosts, as Oprah Winfrey has, in real life, certainly been possessed with the most evil of demons: ...liberalism. Seriously though, Winfrey and Danny Glover are together again in what is basically the spin-off to "The Color Purple" that we've all been waiting for, as we wanted more Winfrey, and, you know, felt that "The Color Purple" just wasn't long enough. I joke, but this is pretty much a passion project for Steven Spielberg, even though Spielberg wasn't even involved in this project, because it's pretty much the crossover between "The Color Purple" and "Poltergeist" that, come on, was totally expected, you know. No, this is actually the crossover between "The Color Purple" and "Ghost", because now that Whoopi Goldberg has been adequately harassed, it's time for Patrick Swayze to take out the rest of the cast of. Man, that would be one seriously lame twist for this film to come to after a whopping three hours of well, being pretty good. I'd say that this is a pretty satisfying sequel to apparently everything that came out between the mid-'80s and the mid-'90s, although it would be more so if it was tighter, in a number of ways.

If this effort's runtime seems to be rather questionable for subject matter of this type, that's because it, at just shy of three hours, is, and yet, at the same time, it's not long enough, as there are some distinct lapses in expository depth that Akosua Busia's, Richard LaGravenese's and Adam Brooks' script neglects to compensate for all of its bloating of repetitious filler, if not overwrought material. Although developmental shortcomings that leave many of the chapters in this narrative to jar stand as a big issue, bloating is as big a problem as any, getting so carried away with flashback segments, each characters' personal struggles, and other plot aspects that it can't seem to get a consistent grip on focus any more easily than it can on the themes of this drama. The film alternates between being a study on former slaves seeking new life with the horrors of the past at their backs, and being a supernatural horror-melodrama, and although both themes are thoroughly intriguing, the overambitious and overwrought exploration of them both leads to tonal inconsistencies, some of which are glaring in their seeing storytelling jar between dramatic steadiness and horrific intensity, both of which keep consistent in being backed by some lapses in subtlety. The script and Jonathan Demme's direction place a great deal of attention into somewhat graphic, if not disturbing happenings and imagery which is respectable in its audacity, but all too often too gratuitous for the good of subtlety to tone, which might be able to compensate if it wasn't so chilled so often. More than anything, Demme places a high attention into atmosphere and limp, disjointed storytelling which often borders on abstractionist, and frequently dulls things down, due to there being only so much biting material for the thoughtful storytelling to soak up throughout the final product's three-hour course. No matter how compelling this film is, it could have been so much more if Demme's heart was more firmly secured in the right place, and if there wasn't such a lack of realization to Demme's already questionable vision, thus, as things stand, the final product stands as an uneven, well, mess. It's almost by some miracle that the film ultimately rewards, but the fact of the matter is that, with patience, you'd be hard-pressed to not be compelled by this somewhat flimsy, but promising drama.

A period piece study on the struggles of black men and women during and following slavery, a melodramatic portrait on standing by family, and, just for good measure, a supernatural thriller, this film's story is way to focally and thematically overblown to handle all that tightly and evenly, especially with this film's experimentalism, but, so help me, it's daringly original, as well as compelling in its considerable dramatic and thematic value. Toni Morrison's novel carries a lot of potential to be made into a gripping screenplay, and sure enough, although Akosua Busia's, Richard LaGravenese's and Adam Brooks' script, with its mightily uneven structure, plays a big part in holding the film back, its gutsy, if sometimes gratuitous attention to chilling detail with edgy characterization, shocking themes and intentionally loose ends for viewers to ponder upon makes the film a commendable artistic expression, even with its writing style. As for Jonathan Demme's directorial style, even though it too has a lot to criticize, it delivers in its realized orchestration of, if nothing else, pseudo-gothic cinematography by Tak Fujimoto, and haunting score work by Rachel Portman, which is both beautiful and tonally effective. The visual and musical style do a lot to define the substance of Demme's direction, whose impact is actually held back by an ambition to pursue near-abstractionist experimentation, but is very rarely, if ever lost under the pressure of artistic bloating and slow spells, thanks to an inspired edge to dramatic meditativeness and striking imagery that, upon meeting realization, hits hard. When Demme's direction gets to be questionable, the reward value of the film is seriously threatened, and when it works, the horror aspects are downright terrifying, and the drama is powerful enough to secure reward value, with no small aid from the performances which truly stand out: the onscreen ones. Everyone delivers, whether it be Kimberly Elise as a young woman who comes to take matters into her own hands for the sake of her family, or Danny Glover as a good-hearted and uneducated man who comes to find shocking revelations regarding a place he thought was of refuge, while standouts include the amazingly convincing Thandie Newton as a handicapped wanderer who comes to a loving family, with dark secrets, and the relatively briefly used Lisa Gay Hamilton who appears in flashbacks as a broken slave woman who struggles to escape agony for the sake of her welfare as a woman and a mother, and eventually grows into an unstable woman wracked with guilt who leading lady Oprah Winfrey portrays impeccably. Winfrey is a revelation in her emotionally charged and harrowingly layered portrayal of a woman who slowly, but surely, breaks under the overwhelming pressure of pain which has followed her throughout her life, but hers is not the only nuanced performance, for there is plenty of subtle inspiration found on and off the screen to transcend the shortcomings with intelligence and resonance.

When the curse is lifted, uneven focus deriving from uneven pacing and overwrought plot structuring, in addition to an unevenness to what tonal bite there is in questionably, if not dully experimental storytelling, hold the final product back, and even threaten reward value that is ultimately firmly secured by original and engrossing subject matter's being done enough justice by generally intelligently edgy writing, beautiful aesthetic style, resonant direction, and across-the-board powerful and nuanced performances to make Jonathan Demme's "Beloved" ultimately gripping as an experimental, chilling, moving and altogether harrowing exploration of family and facing demons, both literal and symbolic.

3/5 - Good
½ July 10, 2014
this is a grate movie
½ January 15, 2014
A complicated but beautiful film with a great cast & a killer cinematography. Oprah Winfrey & Danny Glover shine throughout the film.
½ December 8, 2013
Something about this movie just got on my nerves and I couldn't stomach it,,, I now know why I hate this movie so much; Because Thandie Newton went FULL RETARD!!!
November 21, 2013
My Favorite Film Is 1941's Citizen Kane.
September 24, 2013
STRONG PLOT OF CHRISTIAN AND HISTORY OF REDEMPTION AT THE EXAMPLE OF BELOVED".

Mother killed her child for not suffering because of its slavery. God became a human body giving Himself for frightening pain and death on the cross to redeem people who killed him and show in that way the power of his love for them. He didn't want the suffering and pain of his children who are His creations in human bodies, in hell with Satan and his fallen angels for the whole eternity. God has got a plan for every human, that's why he's suffering when someone kills his creation. Only God, not human, is perfect in Its love and only this love has made happened that Jesus his Son couldn't go against his Father during his suffering on Earth. Jesus only told his Father - 'God, God why did you leave me ?' - He has only though He left him alone. God answered nothing. Jesus, who is a God in human body didn't rebel against his Father in opposite to the human being at the beginning of the times. Jesus trusted his Father. Human trusted Satan and that's why human love cannot be perfect. Jesus Christ throughout his sacrifice has given an eternity life for every person, who truly wants it and regrets his own sins even if it is a murderer because he promised that on the cross and in many other situations. Sethe without any doubt had got her hands in scarlet. She has just thought she had loved her children very much, that's why she tried to kill them, but she really regretted her act against children's life. The proof of it is that Sethe wanted to serve her "survived" daughter. She wanted to take care and spend with evil Beloved all the time. The young strange woman has appeared in the house when the devilish spirit of the death daughter had calmed. That was the sign the evil spirit became a body. After all there is no possibility to compare the death of Sethe's child to the death of God's Son. That's the reason, the context of these deaths is completely different and contrary. God has sacrificed his own child, his perfect love for life of many sinners, in addition with the agreement of Jesus, but this woman sinned against this perfect love, taking back a life of her child, a child of God as well. God has forgiven Sethe's murder like he said and the proof of this is that the woman named Beloved has disappeared when old Christian women had made an exorcism. They were standing by the house praying and singing in the name of Jesus Christ. It was some kind of Christian exorcism and it seemed to be successful. Jesus went to Sethe and set her free from the evil past. Sethe said: 'You cannot love much and you cannot love less. You just can love or not'. Well, I agree, but our love will never be perfect in this life from the point of view of Christianity and from my point of view. So I can say: 'Sethe, you have no idea what the real love is'.