Casino - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Casino Reviews

½ April 9, 2018
Really great Scorsese film.

A great unrelenting pace, AMAZING characters, brilliant acting, incredible production, creating a near impeccable vibe throughout the entire film.

This was truly an astonishing project. I honestly enjoyed every moment.

The typical Scorsese narration helped pace the movie perfectly, and helped explain some pretty convoluted stuff in a straightforward way. I was surprised at how tangled of a story the movie managed to convey in an understandable way.

The sets, the clothes, the overall production of this movie really blew me away. With the exception of gun action, everything else was perfect and extremely authentic looking, really gave the movie the feeling it needed to seriously portray this tale.

The three stars of the movie were all total masters of their game. I was extremely impressed with Sharon Stone, it made me sad I don't really see her in big productions anymore.

I thought about it, and I think that my only problem with this movie is the whole "I'm gonna show you how this story ends at the first 5 minutes and then rewind to the beginning" shtick. While I can understand and appreciate this kind of storytelling, for me it simply spoils the story and takes away from me the possibility to wonder what will happen and to think about how certain characters will turn out.

I wanted to be excited about how Sharon Stone's character would affect things and in what ways, but I always remembered the beginning where it's all spelled out for you, and that bummed me out.

Anyways, besides this one issue, I enjoyed everything else. Brilliant movie. Joe Pesci is amazing.
April 8, 2018
one of de niros and joe pescis best roles. so many great plots and twists. much prefer this to goodfellas. not for the faint of heart with the violence and bad language but a true cinema masterpiece and gangster flick.
April 6, 2018
It's without a doubt another phenomenally composed mob tale by Scorsese, but the strong overlap of similarities between it and Scorsese's previous effort, "Goodfellas" distracts viewers of both from seeing it as anything more than an unoriginal knock-off.
April 3, 2018
While the plot is familiar to a fault. Outstanding performances from Sharon Stone, Robert De Niro, Joe Pesci and strong direction from Martin Scorsese more than make up for it.
½ April 3, 2018
Scorsese directed "Casino" with immense energy and flair and the movie hooks you from the get-go. This is an excellent rise and fall story that is entertaining pretty much all the way through. It's a long film, but don't let that stop you from experiencing it. For a majority of the movie, I couldn't take my eyes off and was invested in the story. Robert De Niro is excellent in the lead role and Joe Pesci and Sharon Stone both give stellar supporting performances. It is a similar structure to other films Scorsese has directed but it carries a consistently fast pace that isn't always in other films. This movie is definitely worth checking out if you're a fan of Martin Scorsese.
March 15, 2018
Ok Robert De Niro movie.
March 1, 2018
another scorsese movie involving joe pesci? sign me up
½ February 24, 2018
1001 movies to see before you die.
½ February 14, 2018
I've tried to watch Casino 4 times... 4 TIMES!! It's been a while since i watched Goodfellas (which is great) but i'm not here to compare it with that (albeit they are very similar films).

Casino relies on an awful narration throughout the film which is tiring to listen to. It never stops to let a scene breathe and let the characters do the talking, the film is too detached!

Nowt interesting, it's done before, and i'm not going to waste 3 hours of my life trying to finish something i know i won't enjoy in the end.

THIS FILM IS PANTS FAM. Byeeeee.
February 7, 2018
great but we already have Goodfellas so it feels unnecessary to me.
January 29, 2018
Been years since I've seen this movie and still Excellent. If you haven't seen it, you probably should
½ January 22, 2018
Yet another 'mobster' related film of greed, money, illegal activities and psychotic driven tendencies to violence by director Martin Scorsese.
Like GoodFellas some five years previously the Scorcese casting fraternity returns with regulars Robert De Niro as casino 'manager' Sam Rothstein and Joe Pesci as more Mafioso Nicky Santaro.
The story is based at the operation of one of the casinos in Las Vegas. A cash cow that ultimately ends up with the Mafia in Kansas City.
Intertwined in the story is Sharon Stone as prostitute/substance misuser Ginger McKenna who marries Rothstein and whose gradual descent into marriage split/attempted kidnap of Rothstein's daughter is one strand of the collapse of the then successful casino operation.
Other factors are the strict Las Vegas authorities that refuse at first Santaro and then Rofstein employment in the gambling industry.
The downfall of the operation forms the backdrop to the end of the film and some pretty gruesome deaths even by my standards of film viewing!
Scorsese delivers yet again. It may not quite live up to the standards of 1990s GoodFellas but certainly is still one of the best films of the decade.
Scorsese 'viewers' will be aware that his films are quite long in duration but many plot points would be missed if they were edited.
Stick with his films and don't lose your concentration is my advice.
If I found one criticism it was the Joe Percy character Santoro who almost replicated his GoodFellas role as a pretty nasty mobster whose attitude was he would rather kill you with three bullets to the skull rather than one.
I'm glad I watched and my Scorsese tour continues albeit with a few coffees to keep me going!
January 16, 2018
What nobody else seems to mention is how this movie is bang on to what actually happened with the stardust casino in vegas. Compared to goodfellas which very loosely follows henry hills actual life story. Most of what happens in casino actually happened. I guess goodfellas too but they skip so many stories with goodfellas where as if you research the story of casino that is pretty much the true story. With ginger and the spilottro brothers, aka nicky and brother dominic. Thats what i love about this movie is hpw everything is true. The FBI even actually had to land their plane on rosenthals (rothsteins) golf course ?? only flaw really in the story is when the brothers are beat to death that actually happened in a basement at a hunting lodge the mob owned and then they were strangled and brought to a cornfield. Also spilottro actually became a made man for squashing that guys head in the vice. Great movie though if you know mob history.
½ January 15, 2018
Puntaje Original: 6.5

Con una poderosa historia y soberbio trabajo de producción, Casino se ve deslucida por su innecesaria narración.
½ December 25, 2017
M-F

8.4

[Martin Scorsese]
December 19, 2017
A wonderful and spectacular movie from the great director Martin Scorsese. The movie has great setting, story and actors and it is a holy grail for Scorsese and mafia fans. As In Goodfellas I find the De Niro and Pesci combo fantastic and takes hold of you all the way through.
November 16, 2017
Simply the Greatest!!!
October 31, 2017
Brilliant mob movie in Las Vegas, all actors on top form!
½ October 30, 2017
Impressive for the first hour but dull every following moment. This movie lacks a connection with its audience namely because there is not one character that we as film-viewers care about. Its similar to Goodfellas but not as good which basically makes it a less imaginative sequel covering the same path traveled in Scorcese's previous works.
½ October 9, 2017
Sharon Stone alone is worth the price of admission.