Casino - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Casino Reviews

½ July 15, 2016
a adequate look at what does on behind the scenes of Las Vegas. Good use of violence and licensed songs, but the atmosphere is quite and the characters don't feel 3-dimensional
July 11, 2016
I love the older gangster movies, in particular Goodfellas and Heat, and now I can add this one to the list of the ones I love. It's very similar in feel to that of Goodfellas, with the narrative, filming style, age, actors and namely the attitudes of each actor. Joe Pesci plays the same short tempered badass who will shed no tears or waste a minute on someone who he thinks is outta line, and beat them to a pulp. De Niro is the same quiet and very kind, yet ruthless head of a small band of friends within a much larger operation. It's a great story, and that is the highlight of the movie. It gives a good impression of the lives of real gangsters, and is a compelling and intense story throughout, and strays from being stuck just inside of the Casino which is its namesake. The acting is of course top notch and impressive, which in the end makes the film, along with the story, script, and narrative. The action is more of story and brutal killings or tortures, which are portrayed well, although when someone is shot it is a bit lacking of bullet effects, unlike the other movies mention all above. Overall great movie, does take a third place behind Heat and Goodfellas for its genre, but it's a high ranking list only for the best.
June 22, 2016
Classic classic classic "gangster/mafia" film. This cast is perfectly assembled. DeNiro, Stone, and Pesci play their parts perfectly. The script, taken from the screenwriter's book, is amazing and illustrates perfectly the cut-throat business of mafia infiltration into Las Vegas casinos. This movie is one of the best films Scorsese has done and if you love mafia films, you have to add this one to your collection.
June 18, 2016
Awesome movie! Interesting plot, and a classic!
June 14, 2016
Another classic Scorsese film with flawless performances by De Niro, Pesci & Stone.
June 9, 2016
classic lit gangster film. joe and rob are too cool
½ June 4, 2016
1st time I've witnessed a pen as a killing tool.
May 31, 2016
This epic account of the rise and fall of some gangster in Las Vegas also chronicles the decline of the gambling industry from one financed by shady Teamsters pension fund transactions and run by skilled professionals to a cartoon financed by junk bonds, staffed by dumb kids, and operated for the amusement of generic middle-Americans. This film is epic in every way with outsized characters with overpowering passions, period recreations of the peak Vegas gaudiness, and a wonderful soundtrack. It's cinematic and full of Americana. I can't resist Casino.
½ May 29, 2016
This 3h(!) extravagenza of swearing, violence and drugs will blow your mind, make you giggle and will propably make any poor student sitting in front of his TV happy he isn't a rich Casino owner.
½ May 27, 2016
waaaaay to long, and way to much narration. But none the less still a nice violent mobster flick from the master. Sharon Stone's best performance thus far .
½ May 25, 2016
a long slow film but thats just the way i like them
May 7, 2016
A spectacular movie, made to please the audience but made very well.
April 15, 2016
Another great Martin Scorsese film this time chronicles a Casino and the mob. this narration heavy film has a very similar style to goodfellas, but is not quite as good. and that is simply because of one character. and I'll get into that later. first off, this movie is never boring. the narration works very well and all of the performances are either good or great. DeNiro is great. Pesci is great. Don Rickles is great. James Wood is great. Sharon Stone is good. she is my biggest flaw with the movie. her character is the most annoying and irritating character I have ever seen. I hated her. there were some great scenes of conflict with her, but her character is the reason it isn't as good as goodfellas. still a great movie though.

8.5/10
April 11, 2016
Sorry Scorsese, you're not getting away unscathed for this one. Casino is essentially Goodfellas with a Las Vegas twist, which is quite odd coming from a director as diverse as Scorsese. Casino may have the same admirable technical qualities to be expected from someone like Scorsese, such as smooth cinematography and fitting production and costume design, but it's not even close to matching the same narrative gravitas of Goodfellas. It's the same rise-and-fall plot featuring characters that feel too similar to those in Goodfellas: Joe Pesci's characters in this and Goodfellas are nearly indistinguishable. Casino gets a bit of a pass for being adapted from true events, but still feels all too familiar. The film also runs far too long: many plot points in the nearly three hour runtime feel expendable and seem to drag. It's not a bad movie by any means, but it's disappointing to see someone like Scorsese ultimately make the same movie twice.
March 27, 2016
One of the best drama films with De Niro, Pesci, and Stone directed by Martin Scorsese. A+
March 21, 2016
When the first sentence out of your mouth after seeing a film is "That was church." you have your favorite movie right there. A film that is as good today as when I first watched it, if not a million times better. The only word to describe this masterpiece is "perfect". Perfect directing, a perfect protagonist, perfect antagonists, a perfect soundtrack, and a perfect story. Quite possibly the greatest gangster-drama ever made, in my opinion. This film cemented for me that Martin Scorsese is one of the greatest directors of all time, and no one will be able to take that title away from him. If I could rate this higher than 100% I would. In short, "Casino" is and will always be, the greatest film I have ever seen. Period!
½ March 21, 2016
Juego de manos es juego de villanos. Este refran embona perfecto con esta historia de 3 horas que narra el lado oscuro e inexplorado de Las Vegas. De Niro y Pesci lucen impecables, y tambien destaca el humor negro (memorable la secuencia inicial del auto que explota).
March 16, 2016
Def one of Scorsese's best!
March 14, 2016
Among Scorsese's movies, Casino has been overshadowed somewhat by its predecessor, GoodFellas. While perhaps not as original, Casino can be seen as a companion piece to that ultimate gangster epic, moving the action to Las Vegas just before corporate power usurped mob influence. DeNiro, Pesci and especially Sharon Stone are all great here.