Seven Years in Tibet - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Seven Years in Tibet Reviews

December 9, 2015
Saw this on 9/12/15
This film is like Dances with Wolves, it's got all the potential to be an explosively pompous epic, it could have easily been another Schindler's list, all it had to do was to show repeated scenes of violent Chinese torture on Tibetans. But the film limits all that to the bare minimum and lets the film have a Tibetan ideology, a buddhist one where it purposefully abandons all form of such scenes that make it haunting towards the end. But does it satisfy completely, well the answer is no as I simply had a similar feeling after Dances with wolves. Pitt plays a compelling character and performs effectively, but his accent is sometimes irritating. David Thewlis also gives one of his better performances. However, some things about the film are too American in the way in which it simply ignores Harrer's Nazi roots, he supported Germany when he left for the mountains and he never said that he is an Austrian not a German to any soldiers (as shown in the film) nor does he ever show any reluctance in accepting Nazi flag before leaving because these incidents are described as I just said in his memoirs. The imagery and cinematography are fantastic.
November 24, 2015
this movie makes me know more about Tibet
August 19, 2015
Although Seven Years in Tibet has some beautiful shots, watching it is also an exercise of patience.
½ June 27, 2015
My only complaint about this movie was Pitts louse accent. Beyond that, decent movie, not bad, not great. I particularly liked that it was a true story, if I had known that going in I probably would have liked it more.
June 25, 2015
Sometimes a 3-hour movie flies by. Sometimes you feel every second and then some of a 90-minute movie.

Guess which one this one is.
May 22, 2015
The true story itself is very much inspiring. Brad Pitt is okay considering he could not do the accent very consistently. David Thewlis is really good!!
May 20, 2015
Brad Pitt Was Poorly Cast Here. The Scenery & Semi-Biographical Story Keep It Interesting..Coulda Been So Much Better Put Together Tho.
May 12, 2015
Pitt actually shows some chops here and the movie holds your interest throughout.
March 19, 2015
Brad Pitt's attempt at an Austrian accent may be laughable, but I really enjoyed this movie. Pitt really looks the part and whilst his acting was a little ham at times, I really enjoyed his interactions with the both the Dalai Lama and the towns people.
February 9, 2015
amazing epic movie really liked it s very sad one
February 8, 2015
WOW....WOW.....WOW.....WOW.....WOW.....WOW......JUST SEEN THIS MOVIE 4 THE 1ST TIME N THINK THAT THIS IS A GREAT MOVIE 2 WATCH......ITS GOT GOOD CAST OF ACTORS/ACTRESSESS THROGUHOUT THIS MOVIE.......I think that brad pitt, david Thewlis, bd wong, mako, play good roles/parts throughout this movie.....I think that the director of this drama/action/adventure movie had done a great job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie......

Most of the shooting took place in Argentina, in the city of La Plata (the train station where Heinrich leaves for Unserberg is the Main Train Station of La Plata, for example), and in the Mendoza Province, in such places as the Andes chain of mountains. Some time after the film's release, director Annaud confirmed that two crews secretly shot footage for the film in Tibet, amounting to approximately 20 minutes of footage in the final film. Other footage was shot in Nepal, Austria, and Canada.

Seven Years in Tibet premiered on September 13, 1997 at the 1997 Toronto International Film Festival before a commercial release on October 8, 1997 in the United States and Canada, distributed to 2,103 theaters for its domestic opening weekend. After its run, the film grossed $37,957,682 domestically and $93,500,000 overseas with an overall box office gross of $131,457,682.

Critical reception

Based on 33 reviews collected by Rotten Tomatoes, the film received a 61% approval rating from critics, with an average score of 6.3/10. Metacritic, which assigns a normalized rating in the 0-100 range based on reviews from top mainstream critics, calculated an average score of 55, based on 18 reviews.

Roger Ebert of the Chicago Sun-Times acclaimed the film in general, stating that "Seven Years in Tibet is an ambitious and beautiful movie with much to interest the patient viewer, but it makes the common mistake of many films about travelers and explorers: It is more concerned with their adventures than with what they discover. Additionally, Ebert believed the film was told from the perspective of the wrong character and thought the casting of Pitt and Thewlis should have been reversed. Derek Elley of Variety praised the film's overall production value but thought: "for a story with all the potential of a sweeping emotional drama set in great locations, too often you just long for the pic to cut loose from the ethnography and correct attitudes and go with the drama in old Hollywood style."

As the film was being released, it was condemned by the government of the People's Republic of China, which stated that Communist Chinese military officers were intentionally shown as rude and arrogant, brutalizing the local people. The Chinese government also decried the film's positive portrayal of the 14th Dalai Lama. Director Jean-Jacques Annaud and stars Brad Pitt and David Thewlis were banned from ever entering China. Annaud has since been welcomed back to China with open arms in 2012 to chair the jury of the 15th annual Shanghai International Film Festival. Also in dispute is the use of the terms "Chinese Embassy in Tibet" and "occupation of Tibet", in view of the Tibetan sovereignty debate.

man this is such a great movie 2 watch, its got a fantastic cast throughout this movie......I think that this is such a really well written/acted/directed movie 2 watch, I think that brad pitt was absolutely brilliant throughout this movie.....I think that this is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch, it is such a really well written/acted/directed movie 2 watch, it is such a brilliant movie 2 watch with a great cast throughout this movie......
January 31, 2015
basado en una historia real la película aveces exagera el protagonismos de el suizo desviándonos del tema principal
½ January 24, 2015
Mas de 7 años tardé en verla valieron la pena.
½ January 7, 2015
A beautiful film about a fascinating tale. There is no way to make a slow subject matter into an action film, so I didn't expect it.
January 1, 2015
Lacking in depth and Pitt has to take some responsibility for that. You never really feel for him throughout.
Possibly has the slowest start to any movie I have seen, and I wonder how true this was to the autobiography it comes from! Very odd book to turn into a film.
Also Pitt's accent is truly terrible..... his "Shaaaaat aaaaahp" is reminiscent of a Schwarzenegger parody and you have to wonder if that is the only research into Austrian accents.
½ December 15, 2014
Solid movie and one of Pitts best early performances.
December 13, 2014
Loved this amazing movie!
November 19, 2014
Part road picture, part epic, and part spiritual journey, Seven Years in Tibet is a beautiful film with a story so typical-yet-unusual that it could only have come from autobiography.
November 8, 2014
Can't beat the scenery and the kid that played the Dalai Lama was wonderful.
½ August 26, 2014
I discovered with this movie (one of the worst ever) that Brad Pitt is an intelligent and brilliant actor.