Loser - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Loser Reviews

½ September 6, 2017
An early noughties teen film, jason biggs gives his all in this slow and predictable comedy. Not overly a bad film but the plot did tend to drag and half the scenes seemed unnecessary. An instantly forgettable film that will be left in the noughties.
June 14, 2017
Predictable? Yes, Underwritten and childish? Probably. But nevertheless, what Amy Heckerling has achieved here is a pretty accurate portrait of what Junior High represents for a country boy. Yes, dialogues lack of content, and yup, there's nothing new under the sun. Still, Loser is a fun movie to match, entertaining and memorable for whom is looking for a refreshing movie.
½ April 22, 2017
Movie about a late bloomer guy who isn't cool. Typical romance movie. I enjoyed it. But more for the romantic side than for the comedy. It tries to be funny but just isn't.
½ February 23, 2017
Try's to remake the Apartment & fails.
½ December 24, 2016
It's alright. Pretty empty in terms of content; both meaningful and memorable, but there's a few laughs and the soundtrack is good.
July 13, 2016
The film doesnt really go anywhere. Halfway through your thinking what is the actual plot/point of this film and at the end your left still thinking the same thing. Not particularly funny either. Poor pointless film. The best part is the music used in it. Some good tracks.
March 27, 2016
3/21/2016: Not a horrible movie, but not a good movie either. It was an ok story, but it wasn't funny at all.
December 29, 2015
Moderately humorous, but doesn't hold up and feels pretty whiny.
½ September 28, 2015
Loser is an underrated Teen comedy that moves along nicely. It has a good soundtrack the main characters are likeable enough. it's not overly original but lightly tackles issues such as student debt and date rape so has aged better than some of it's counterparts. Date rape in a 12 rated film where were the BBFC on that one? Perhaps they nodded off listening to teenage dirtbag.
August 19, 2015
Aside from it's dumb and weird jokes that are extreme at times,it's actually kinda cute I mean It's bad at first but then it gets better.
Jason Biggs is simply very likable

I mean it's a little funny but mean spirited , but also cute.
½ August 11, 2015
Got a real unexplained soft spot with this one
May 27, 2015
Another teenage suck fest.
January 15, 2015
Didn't finish (14) KDOC
½ January 11, 2015
Somehow in life, you always end up with the person that you'd never imagine yourself with.
November 13, 2014
½ October 6, 2014
Loser was a very typical 90's college comedy filled with some laughs and a guy trying to win over a girl. Jason Biggs did a great job of playing a loser and the hair they gave him for the part was so bad that it almost got annoying after a while because no normal guy would ever wear it like that. His love interest was cute but I never got the feeling that she was very into him, so that connection between the two never seemed authentic. There were some laughs throughout but also plenty of attempts at being comedic that fell short. It was also a little odd how the main characters mean roommates were super, crazy mean and that in itself at times was a little unsettling. The overall story was fun at times but it all did not add up to create that great of a movie watching experience.
½ August 16, 2014
(First viewing - Late teen years)
August 8, 2014
Amy Heckerling doesn't quite know what kind of audience she is trying to engage. If she's trying to show high school kids the problems and unexpected strife of college life in a metropolis, then she should have shown that world in a more focused way. If she's trying to be funny and quirky for the older subset than her characters should have been better written and less dickish. Besides being clinically underwritten, it's difficult to figure out who is the lead character, or at least the person we're supposed to sympathize with. Throughout the film we follow Paul (Biggs) and it seems that he is our protagonist. We feel for him when his dorm mates are mean spirited, when the girl of his dreams is misguided, and when everything tries to keep him from getting through school, but he lacks character development. He goes through hard times, but there's no resolution to be seen, and he doesn't change at all. Dora (Suvari) on the other hand has a mess of bad things happen to her, and then she changes her opinion about her relationship with her professor (Kinnear), which means she's the only character who evolves throughout the film. It seems that we should be following her, but then interwoven in her tale is that of Paul's, who just seems like some poor schmuck who never wins. Without any proper direction for our characters, and no change in their behaviors or thoughts on the world, there shouldn't really be any reason for this film to exist. It's trying to show the problems of college students, but it doesn't realistically depict them. Paul's three roommates are also pretty distracting, as they're rich, sycophantic rapists, who don't seem to get much comeuppance until the credits. Besides its plot defects it's also drab and very of its time, making this film a tiring slog.
June 30, 2014
I forgot how funny this movie is.....