King Arthur - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

King Arthur Reviews

DrStrangeblog
½ April 12, 2013
When you sit down to watch a Hollywood movie titled simply King Arthur, which of these movies would you expect to have paid your hard-earned cash to see?

A) A movie with English knights, jousting, a quest for the Holy Grail, powerful wizards, and chivalry during the 1450s
B) A movie with Roman soldiers, historical contexts, grubby Saxons, magic-free conflicts, and land annexation during the 450s.

Yep, you and the rest of the disillusioned movie-going public, mate.

While attempting to trace the truthful roots of one of England's greatest legends could make an interesting film, Antoine Fuqua's version assuredly is filled with straw-grasping conjecture which deserves a finger-wagging for pretending otherwise. For starters, the Saxons would've gone down as having the worst battle tactics in the history of warfare! (Get drawn into a major skirmish from across an icy lake? Forward march against those archers of course, and make sure you have heavy shields and stand close together. Why not stomp around while you're at it for appearances?) Also, fiery boulders would tend to burn down your own trebuchets which are made of wood, rope, and leather - but hey, it looks cool!

One more trap you might want to reconsider: see Keira Knightley on the cover? She looks hot, right? What they don't show you is that she only dresses that way for the final battle - which takes an entire Iron Age to begin - and she is painted blue so she ends up looking like one of those creatures from Avatar. And there's no way those bony arms could draw a longbow from that era to do more damage than pop a balloon.

Enough large-scale battle scenes to maybe gain another star if you've never heard of King Arthur nor seen a movie with large-scale battle scenes. Otherwise, this one pretty much Fuqua'd up.
April 10, 2013
I really enjoyed this film.
April 9, 2013
An extremely enjoyable action flick with a fun reimagining of a belovedly familiar storyline.
½ April 5, 2013
worst. genevieve as a warrior???
man......( -_-)
March 31, 2013
The Best rendition of King Arthur I've ever seen. Easily one of my top 10 faves ever!
March 24, 2013
If only we had Men like THis King Arthur and his Knights today.

This was the most amazing version of of the story I've ever seen. What a wonderful job of Directing, casting and the acting is SUPERB!! Reading the material that is out there about what is known about whether King Arthur was a real person, this is the most believable film version. Though the French created a beautiful fantasy story of which I love as well I appreciate this version that is probably the closest to the possibility of what really was. Honestly, I would never have thought Clive Owen to be as perfect a King Arthur as he proved to be.

Seeing the great sense of truth, justice & righteousness of King Arthur and his knights makes me long for more people like that to exist today. I wonder about how accurate it was though that the Saxons were preoccupied with ancestry perfection from back in those days.
Anyway, Keira Knightly was impressive as always; the wonderful actors playing, Lancelot, Gawain, Galahad and all the other knights as well. I recognized them all as fantastic actors and they were so well-suited in
the roles they played.
I found myself routing for the characters immediately. That is indeed the sign of a great writing, production, directing, acting, story.
½ March 23, 2013
i enjoyed this movie, had some great action scenes, but i thought it wasn't very historical and it wasn't faithful at all to the classic Arthurian legends, didnt seem like the movie could make up its mind what approach it wanted to take.
March 21, 2013
A terrific historical epic. The Director's Cut is better than the original.
March 19, 2013
i made it through the first half an hour. it wasn't what i expected it to be, maybe i should have tried to sit through more but the fact that it was all about a roman war was a bore to me.
March 19, 2013
Great movie. Though admittedly slow at parts, the idea of taking the magic out of the King Arthur really works, plus the action's cool!
March 16, 2013
I can't even remember this film
So review coming soon
March 16, 2013
Humanity Meets King Arthur
March 9, 2013
this has got to be a must have for anyones at home collection loved every part of the film
March 5, 2013
Thanks .. good choice but seen already.
½ March 3, 2013
A sweaty ringpiece of a film.
March 1, 2013
Wasn't really looking forward to this as the reviews weren't good, I actually enjoyed this telling of the tale, it seemed to fit in more with the historical facts than the fairy tale version, well worth a watch
½ February 24, 2013
The plot isn't interesting with many flaws in direction, this makes it more boring to watch.
½ February 24, 2013
HAHAHAAHAHA.

Yeah. No.
February 23, 2013
Gwen was not an archer damnit!
February 22, 2013
The magic is gone, leaving a dreary, generic action movie.