Good Night, And Good Luck - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Good Night, And Good Luck Reviews

½ July 15, 2016
A perfectly functional and adequately shocking McCarthey indictment with the thing that elevates it from a standard newsroom drama being not Clooney's smooth screenplay but a real standout performance from David Strathairn who really needs to be hired more.
July 1, 2016
Well-acted, well-written and well-directed.
½ June 27, 2016
Great movie. George Clooney does a phenomenal job in his rare role as both writer and director to deliver a truly moving and thrilling story of a journalist willing to fight back against the government and threatened censorship. Clooney and the true story are made even better by incredible performances from its cast, especially Strathairn and Wise, as well as stunning direction, editing and soundtrack.
May 18, 2016
A nearly perfect movie. At a brisk 94 minutes, I wish it was longer, as everything about this movie had me riveted to the screen.
April 3, 2016
A very good, though a touch brief, retelling of the story. David Strathairn is truly excellent in this. Would have been nice to get a touch of the back story too.
½ March 29, 2016
greatly made film just nothing spectacular lots of fine acting but terribly boring jeez ~
½ February 20, 2016
Quiet in the mainstream way, yet loud in bold Hollywood storytelling, this not only brings out the best in Actor/Writer/Director George Clooney, but also makes some of the most honest moments in TV history seem like towering monuments for the world of media.
February 20, 2016
A sleeper. But a very well handled bio-pic of Edward R Murrow's work in journalism to challenge the abuse of power by Joseph McCarthy.
½ February 16, 2016
A great image and fine acting can't save the film from feeling lifeless, and at times, even turgid.
February 9, 2016
Skillful presentation of historical fact. I remember seeing the hearings on tv.
February 3, 2016
I come across Good Night, and Good Luck at high school, and I was very excited, but worried that I'll get bored of it as I always get tired there. Luckily the movie was so interesting that I didn't fell asleep. Good Night, and Good Luck is about Edward R. Murrow that was a broadcaster and recorded himself talking about McCarthy in a negative which gets himself in a conflict between him and McCarthy. The story is really good, and it's well acted, even from David Strathairn who I think is a great main lead and I'm surprised that I don't see him often except from The Bourne series. It's well written, and the characters are very developed that you get a clear sense of what the set of broadcasting is like. The pacing is slow, but I was still invested in what's going on, and it has a great speech at the end that is relevant to this day. Good Night, and Good Luck is a fantastic film that I'm glad that I got to learn about what's going on, and who the characters were.
January 23, 2016
In the mid-1950's Edward R. Murrow and his producer, Fred Friendly, help bring an end to the tyranny of the blacklist and the House Un-American Activities Committee's anti-Communist hearings. With the platform provided by his CBS News program "See It Now," Murrow challenges Joseph McCarthy on his claims that hundreds of avowed Communists are working covertly as Soviet spies in the U.S. government, among other allegations, and that they have the power to destroy lives and careers.
January 17, 2016
A well-made film, Clooney and Straithairn proceed in the footsteps of Murrow - a no-frills, call-it-like-you-see-it portrayal of the events surrounding the SEE IT NOW reports on McCarthy and his activities. Wonderfully shot, well-constructed, and consciously put together to counter what Straithairn's Murrow decries at the beginning and end of the film - giving in to the "desire" of the public for lowest-common-denominator escapism.
November 3, 2015
One of the best historical pictures is this ultimate profile of an historical figure that was greatly done in the matched aura and cinematography while being performance driven. (A-)

(Full review coming soon)
October 16, 2015
George Clooney directed this? Awesome!
½ October 15, 2015
Watching this movie makes me wish Joe McCarthy is a senator now and would do something about this awful movie. Most people's knowledge of the US constitution stops at the 1st amendment. If you think Joe McCarthy was doing anything to stifle the populace's freedom of speech, think again. If anything he was preserving it. And by populace I do mean the people of the United States, not just a bunch of yes men hired to inform everybody what the privileged were planning on doing. By the time Edward Murrow was spouting his garbage, Tv news had devolved into infomercials, and any kind of rebuttal by someone outside the circle of the chosen few was met with constitutional violating - guess which amendment(s), the parentheses should give a clue - derision or outright castigation. So much for freedom of speech.
Not to discourage anyone, but even if you are one of those people who truly believes america is NOT the land of the free and NOT the home of the brave, that all men are NOT created equal, and that large corporations and the people that own them have more rights under the constitution than your ordinary Joe, you will not want to watch this movie. It's just one long back slapping by a bunch of nitwits who saw something that was obviously going nowhere and decided, in their egotistic magnanimity, to make a mountain of the proverbial mole hill.
No luck here.
October 13, 2015
I appreciate a film that inspires me to learn more about a historical figure and the period of history that he emerged in. I had no idea what this film was about going into it. I just knew that it was highly rated, so I gave it a shot. It was so worth it!

Edward R. Murrow had a way with words, but not in a manipulative sense. Instead he was very eloquent in expressing his conviction and critical analysis. He was a crusader for independent thinking over ideological lunacy.
True to his personal code of journalistic integrity, decency and honor, Murrow took on the absurd witch-hunt pioneered by McCarthy knowing that he himself could be subjected to the slander and ludicrous persecution of McCarthy and his followers. He held his ground bringing intellectual discipline and a different perspective to the general public via television news. In doing so he did his part in stopping the influence of an extremist politician hell bent on spreading hysteria so he may capitalize on it.

An excellent choice to have it in black and white. A truly great film!
September 23, 2015
I give this an A +( 97).
September 21, 2015
Great movie that left me wanting to know more about everyone involved. It needed a little more time to flesh out Murrow and his show prior to tackling the main subject. They never even explained why he says "Good night, and good luck."
Nevertheless, a very good movie that looks fantastic in black and white.
½ September 1, 2015
With a stellar cast and a talented director in George Clooney, Good Night, and Good Luck. is a great movie that is way too short.