Good Night, And Good Luck - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Good Night, And Good Luck Reviews

October 25, 2016
Despite breaking Aristotle's rule about dual narratives (and not quite as artfully as "The Tempest" I might add), the Clooney directorial debut is still a well put together film. A subtle energy exists within the film and the crescendo is small. In effect, it ends the same way it came out and the same way it played out for that matter. The movie allows for the every germane subject matter to be posed to the audience as a question - just as every good political movie will.
September 26, 2016
In the mid-1950's Edward R. Murrow and his producer, Fred Friendly, help bring an end to the tyranny of the blacklist and the House Un-American Activities Committee's anti-Communist hearings. With the platform provided by his CBS News program "See It Now," Murrow challenges Joseph McCarthy on his claims that hundreds of avowed Communists are working covertly as Soviet spies in the U.S. government, among other allegations, and that they have the power to destroy lives and careers.
½ September 19, 2016
If I came in at any particular moment of Good Night and Good Luck I would be intrigued, because it looks amazing (the black-and-white really fits here.) The film certainly appears to be doing something important (telling how Edward R. Murrow took on Senator McCarthy,) and with amazing style and panache. The problem is, the story is surprisingly weak. There are a few scenes when we see Murrow's news reports which are fantastic, and you can see the kind of quality news work it took in order to discredit Senator McCarthy. However there isn't much to this film beyond that. There are some implied tactics used by McCarthy to strike back, but it doesn't amount to much. In fact there was so little story to this film that they padded the run-time with a needless subplot about a secret marriage between two employees at the network. This B-story amounted to almost nothing, and never had any ties to the main plot of the film. The acting was phenomenal, the cinematography was gorgeous, and clearly George Clooney had a real passion for the story. I just wish there was a little more story to be presented. Edward R. Murrow certainly took some chances, and you can admire what he did and how he did it, but this film barely has enough content to fill an hour of screentime (despite the fact that it was padded to make it more than an hour and a half.)
September 11, 2016
There was no need to do this in black-and-white. There were a lot of scenes of people walking around or sitting in different rooms, talking over each other about things that were not always entirely clear, interspliced with archival footage which could be fairly long and boring. The movie was definitely boring and didn't bring me much. I found it confusing, like I had to have known about what was happening beforehand. The movie just ends abruptly as well. It feels pointless, boring, and pretentious. This could have been interesting as a documentary which could encompass more without forcing the audience to sit through boring archival footage. And done in color! It's not like people didn't see in color back then! The only reason to do something in black-and-white nowadays should be budgetary reasons, IMO.
½ September 9, 2016
It's wonderful looking, but I think it should have been longer.
½ August 19, 2016
Basically perfect. In every way. Clooney's writing is so good. Being a huge schmooze doesn't stop you from being great at your craft apparently, damnit.
August 19, 2016
This is my favorite movie. I think it's beautifully shot, expertly acted, clear direction, wonderful soundtrack, and just a prime example of what we can do with the medium. I watch this film whenever I need to remember that we can wn sometimes, even if it's fleeting.
½ August 14, 2016
Uno de los mejores esfuerzos de George Clooney desde la silla de director. El drama real de un paladin de la libertad de expresion deja bien servido al espectador. A destacar la fotografía B/N
½ August 1, 2016
I like when I feel compelled to research about a movies topic afterward. Good movie, good actors. Not so sure about black and white, but it was tolerable.
½ July 15, 2016
A perfectly functional and adequately shocking McCarthey indictment with the thing that elevates it from a standard newsroom drama being not Clooney's smooth screenplay but a real standout performance from David Strathairn who really needs to be hired more.
July 1, 2016
Well-acted, well-written and well-directed.
½ June 27, 2016
Great movie. George Clooney does a phenomenal job in his rare role as both writer and director to deliver a truly moving and thrilling story of a journalist willing to fight back against the government and threatened censorship. Clooney and the true story are made even better by incredible performances from its cast, especially Strathairn and Wise, as well as stunning direction, editing and soundtrack.
May 18, 2016
A nearly perfect movie. At a brisk 94 minutes, I wish it was longer, as everything about this movie had me riveted to the screen.
April 3, 2016
A very good, though a touch brief, retelling of the story. David Strathairn is truly excellent in this. Would have been nice to get a touch of the back story too.
½ March 29, 2016
greatly made film just nothing spectacular lots of fine acting but terribly boring jeez ð~´
½ February 20, 2016
Quiet in the mainstream way, yet loud in bold Hollywood storytelling, this not only brings out the best in Actor/Writer/Director George Clooney, but also makes some of the most honest moments in TV history seem like towering monuments for the world of media.
February 20, 2016
A sleeper. But a very well handled bio-pic of Edward R Murrow's work in journalism to challenge the abuse of power by Joseph McCarthy.
½ February 16, 2016
A great image and fine acting can't save the film from feeling lifeless, and at times, even turgid.
February 9, 2016
Skillful presentation of historical fact. I remember seeing the hearings on tv.
February 3, 2016
I come across Good Night, and Good Luck at high school, and I was very excited, but worried that I'll get bored of it as I always get tired there. Luckily the movie was so interesting that I didn't fell asleep. Good Night, and Good Luck is about Edward R. Murrow that was a broadcaster and recorded himself talking about McCarthy in a negative which gets himself in a conflict between him and McCarthy. The story is really good, and it's well acted, even from David Strathairn who I think is a great main lead and I'm surprised that I don't see him often except from The Bourne series. It's well written, and the characters are very developed that you get a clear sense of what the set of broadcasting is like. The pacing is slow, but I was still invested in what's going on, and it has a great speech at the end that is relevant to this day. Good Night, and Good Luck is a fantastic film that I'm glad that I got to learn about what's going on, and who the characters were.