Ballets Russes - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ballets Russes Reviews

January 5, 2013
Un documental fascinante y encantador que nos descubre el origen del ballet clásico a través de las experiencias, recuerdos y sentimientos de sus verdaderos protagonistas.
Un viaje visual y emocional de lujo para cualquier amante de la belleza y el arte.
½ June 23, 2012
I found the film to be very interesting and informative even though I got lost in the time line, but this is one of the first Documentary I have chosen to watch myself.
October 2, 2011
Indispensible for its archival footage and firsthand accounts of the golden era of ballet productions.
½ June 5, 2010
Fascinating documentary on the world's most famous ballet.
May 16, 2010
Interesting documentary follows former members of the Ballet Russe of Monte Carlo, the direct successor to the original Ballet Russe headed by the legendary impresario Serge Diaghilev, a troupe of young Russian expatriates in Paris who brought groundbreaking choreography to Europe and America, inspiring a new generation of dancers, for around 30 years - with artistic directors including George Balanchine, Leonard Massine and Agnes DeMille. Vintage footage of superstar dancers are combined with interviews with their older selves decades later - people with only a casual interest in dance should enjoy this heartfelt effort a great deal.
½ May 15, 2010
Pretty interesting documentary with great archival footage and interviews. It's nice to see so many former members of the Ballet Russes still alive and passing on their love of ballet to their students.
March 16, 2010
Oh, I loved it!!!

Brought out my sappy side and made me want to RUN back to ballet class. Beautiful and passionate documentary.
October 23, 2009
a fascinating review of the dance troupe initially formed from russian refugees. their ballets from 1909 thru the 1940's were artistic fusions of scenery, costumes, sets, music, and dance! my personal favorites were those choreographed by leonide massine. this company was the first to introduce the symphony ballets. scores were commissoned from stravinsky, debussy, prokofiev, etc. sets were desinged by miro, picasso, dali, etc. the u.s. tours during wwii introduced ballet to major cities and small towns. the dancers are all very expressive, passionate, and individualistic. hopefully, these vibrant dancers will be able to pass on their genius to a new generation.
October 22, 2009
interesting film. wish they are fine doing their thing - ballet...
February 9, 2009
Outstanding documentary.
August 1, 2008
When I watch a documentary about a topic I am not knowledgeable on I assume the perspective of a student who is being instructed on the topic. This was the case with Ballet Ruses. A moving and entertaining lesson on one of the most important dance companies ever.
June 30, 2008
Good documentary film on early ballet companies. If you are not interested in dance, you will be bored. I enjoyed it very much!
March 15, 2008
Considering I practiced under a Balanchine dancer I think this movie is simply inspiring, amazing and above all a work of art! Dancer or not this will give you a great appriciation for the art of ballet.
½ March 9, 2008
adorable and inspiring!
February 24, 2008
If this film only managed to show clips of performances from decades past, it would still be worthwhile. But it also incorporates interviews with (then) still living ballet stars, and I gotta tell you- those ballerinas are some tough old dames.
January 25, 2008
a good film. more interesting for its archival footage than the typical talking heads.
January 17, 2008
Too much talking and too little dancing.
January 12, 2008
Arent documentaries so much more fascinating and engagine than fictional films these days?

I was especially touched by the dancers recalling their glory-days. What comes through is not bitterness, or sadness for days past, but rather joy at having created and lived.

Also interesting for me, as an American, to see the migration and transformation of this artform from Russia (pre-film) to Europe to America; it present a wonderful slice of history.
January 7, 2008
Great footage, interesting story
January 4, 2008
the footage they found for this film was unbelievable. I watched this thinking it was a doco about the first Ballets Russes company, but it turned out to be about the 2 subsequent companies - the footage of Bacchanale was one of the most beautiful things i've ever seen. as a documentary, the movie is unremarkable, but what it achieves in terms of discovered footage and interviews is nothing short of amazing