Funny Games - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Funny Games Reviews

June 13, 2017
probably one of the worst movies I've ever seen. you watch it, and then finish it realizing nothing actually occurred besides a few murders. and then, just like that, it ends. also, incredibly anti-climactic.
May 7, 2017
Brilliant film, very twisted
½ March 26, 2017
The most predictable movie of all time. And if you're not up to figuring it out, it tells you what's going on. The only reason to push through to the end is to see if something interesting happens, and at one point it looks as if it did, but then it didn't happen after all.
March 5, 2017
The worst movie I have ever seen. I will never get those 2 hours back and I am literally angry about it.
½ February 25, 2017
One of the worst movies I have ever seen. You will never get this time back of your life. Save yourself.
½ February 17, 2017
Just so bad it hurts
½ January 16, 2017
Absolutely awful. If you want to feel frustrated for a couple of hours, this is the film for you.
½ January 1, 2017
Maybe not an entirely necessary remake but this Americanized version of Michael Haneke's brilliant experiment retains the same intelligence and skill that the original introduced.
December 19, 2016
sadistic thriller at the right point
December 18, 2016
Two young men punish a family for being bland.
½ December 9, 2016
Focusing primarily on physical torture and emotional distress without any character motivation to back it up, Funny Games has little to offer other than a depressing exercise in pain and suffering, and the end result is cruel, unnerving, nihilistic and altogether unnecessary.
½ December 2, 2016
A pretty good thriller that does slow down an hour in or so but picks up a little bit latter, also this movie is surprisingly meta.
October 27, 2016
An unflinching excercise in subversion of American violence in comtemporary cinema that sets up novice audiences in the first half with witty and charasmatic performances - only to spend the rest of the film taking all that we think we know about invasion thrillers, horror films, and just bout 'horror' in general, before it delivers the casually grim final blow.

Ciao, bella.
½ September 26, 2016
This film is insult defined. Funny Games presents sadism as evenly and monotone as the local news reports death, destruction and inane violence, without concern or productive thought. Creating anything requires some level of rationalization and purpose - not necessarily value. As such, I am at a loss here.

I believe the director and producers of this film have taken for granted our intelligence as an audience. What is their rationalization, or need to make this insulting film? How would Naomi Watts, one of the producers, describe the purpose of this film to her family - in particular her children?
September 12, 2016
Really stupid premise - and stop addressing the camera. Also - shot soooo slowly
½ September 2, 2016
Horrible movie/plot line one of the strangest movies I've ever seen not scary at all would not recommend watching this waste of time
September 1, 2016
The most sadistic film i have seen, directed at both the characters and the audience. Incredible performances all around. Haneke says he wanted to make people feel disturbed by this film and i think he accomplishes that, but not to the exact degree he wanted. Instead of being repulsed by the horrors i was captivated by how well crafted they actually were. I think this is a great deconstruction of what makes horror appealing and questions the audience's motives in participating. I can't recommend this to most people, but i sure enjoyed it.
August 29, 2016
Why a shot for shot remake by the actual director of the original foreign movie is beyond me. However, as far as home invasion movies go it's a really good one. Tense and totally willing to dive into the most depraved parts of human violence. Not for the faint of heart, but worth a while for fans of exploitation films everywhere.
August 19, 2016
I almost favor the original version than this remake, but there were some moments i enjoyed in this version.
August 15, 2016
Completely pointless violence and plot. From the very beginning I was thinking the two boys must be un-human beings, i.e. ghosts, evil spirits, etc.
If that would had been the case one might try to think better of it.
But they were just two teenage boys, who spoke to the camera at times, being violent for no apperant reason and without the need of doing it covertly. And being obsessed with politeness to the boot.

Just a waste of time. When it became obscenely obvious that this was a trash I fast forwarded bits, like the woman jumping around for , maybe a full, four minutes or so, or when her boy was hiding around the neighbours' house, moving from a room to another room without nothing else was happening.
Avoid. If not use fast forward button liberately.