Fail Safe Reviews

• Nov 28, 2020

Not bad done, but the live emission, instead of making it more real, looks threatrical, and it does not achieve the tension and impact of the original movie. Anyway, I think we all miss Henry Fonda and the way Lumet directed it.

• Jun 06, 2018

I think you have to begin any discussion about the 2000 version of Fail Safe by talking about the fact that it was performed live on TV. It’s amazing how little this feels like a stage production, and comes across as something that was filmed in a more traditional manner. They choreographed a few interesting camera moves, and even included some computer graphics that seem like they might be hard to time right with the dialogue. They did it all in black-and-white, I assume to fit in with the era that it takes place, and I thought that was a good choice. The story is what you would get if you took Dr. Strangelove and removed all the humor. Now I enjoy the humor a lot in Strangelove but I also found the concept fascinating in Fail Safe when it was taken seriously. There was a moment early on in Fail Safe where I thought I knew exactly what was going to happen, they set it up and made me think I was right, and then the movie shocked me and went the opposite way. I love when a movie can subvert my expectations in that way. The story does get pretty dark and depressing at times, which I didn’t love but at least it didn’t pull any punches. I thought the acting was excellent, particularly from all these TV and movie stars who you would assume are used to having the freedom of multiple takes to get it right. They were able to nail all the lines, including some big dramatic speeches that were dripping with emotion. I quite enjoyed the film, and I think it would have been neat to experience the novelty of it firsthand when it aired on TV. However, packaged on DVD without commercial breaks, I must admit that Fail Safe feels like a legitimate film and one that I would have happily gone to the theater to watch. Ranking on my Flickchart Wins against Elmer Gantry Wins against The Lady Vanishes Wins against Hairspray Loses to Ferris Bueller’s Day Off Loses to The Dirty Dozen Loses to There Will Be Blood Loses to Mannequin Loses to Airplane! Loses to Quantum of Solace Loses to The Adventures of Robin Hood Loses to Little Miss Sunshine Fail Safe ranked 193 out of 1554

• Sep 14, 2016

Horrifying. Intense.

Horrifying. Intense.

• Feb 21, 2016

Still the way things stand.

Still the way things stand.

• Dec 25, 2014

skip this see the 1964 version its better

skip this see the 1964 version its better

• Sep 29, 2014

A chilling commentary on the armed nature of the modern world and its increasing dependency on technology and automation, presented as a live action television play. America's president is ultimately forced to do the unthinkable in order to stave off nuclear holocaust after a computer error results in the order of a strike on Moscow. Shot live in black and white, with a retro/sterile feel, and a chilling message, this movie definitely catches your attention. Great performances throughout by some huge names, and an awesome concept!

• May 27, 2014

When it came out, it was one of the television events that had to be seen. It delivered and still holds up.

• Mar 29, 2014

Want to know what possibly can go wrong... A very nice adaptation of an old television movie.

• Jan 27, 2014

When the shriek over the phone went off it changed everything. Great Movie

When the shriek over the phone went off it changed everything. Great Movie

• Jan 22, 2014

Really good anti-war flick! Juxtaposes modern with vintage with great pace and feel. A movie with fantastic actors that really makes you THINK!