Tara Road - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tara Road Reviews

½ July 1, 2016
If not for the cliches and terrible acting it could have been decent.
September 21, 2013
A middle-aged drama that just goes nowhere...which I should have expected having read the book it was based on...which also meandered and didn't really end up anywhere either. Not the worst way to spend a few hours I suppose.
January 24, 2013
A good movie, a good concept. kinda sad, but then uplifting.
thmtsang
November 6, 2011
Two women who have suffered loss - one lost her son and another's husband left her for his pregnant mistress. The two women escape their lives by doing a house exchange for 2 months. Good cast.
September 3, 2011
"Tara Road" is Gilles MacKinnon's film adaptation of Maeve Binchy's novel of the same name and it comes to life on the screen thanks to a talented cast that includes Annie MacDowell and relative unknown Brenda Fricker.

Andie, as Marilyn, is a married American woman who grieves over her dead
son who died on his birthday in a heartrending motorcycle accident (caught on video/film by someone at the party) and who has blamed her husband for the death due to his having bought the motorcycle.

Across the ocean in Ireland is a married woman (Olivia Williams as Ria) whose husband reveals that he is leaving her for a pregnant girlfriend whom he swears he loves.

These two women first meet accidentally by phone when Marilyn calls Ria's number looking for help in finding someone to agree to exchange homes so that Marilyn can escape from her home even as she refuses to join her husband on a trip with him.

These two women become like "fish out of water" upon arriving at the other end of their journeys (they don't meet each other in person, even by this point) but soon circumstances and the people they meet bring about changes in each of their lives.

Especially touching is when Ria's children meet Marilyn (they're not with their mother at this time) and Marilyn opens up to them about her son dying (in response to one of the children's innocent questions).

Ria comes close to losing her house due to her husband and his firm's failure to take care of their debts but Marilyn and others come to her aid. In a surprise twist, Marilyn's husband comes to see her in Ireland and they have a happy reunion as Marilyn is much freer, even happy by this time.

Even the cheating husband strikes a chord occasionally and draws out sympathy even though he is a cad (because things don't go his way) and one gets the sense that rather than being a bad man that he is someone who just didn't do the right thing and pays the price in the end.

Ultimately the two women do meet, if briefly, and they marvel at the change(s) in themselves. A fascinating and warm film that does justice to the novel. 19 out of 10!
July 11, 2011
Liked it. Actually quite typical plot, nothing special but it was filmed and acted in a very good way. It was a nice way to start my monday :).
½ July 6, 2011
täähän on iha ku huonompi versio holidaystä :)
June 20, 2011
Olivia Williams could not save this. All the acting was fine, but the plot was too depressing and melodramatic, and Binchy's depiction of Connecticut does not ring true. Also, the filming was often weird and the music used was overwhelming and incongruous with the tone of the film
December 8, 2010
Okay. I have not read the book this is based on, and I can't say the movie really makes me want to run out and get it.
I think this would maybe appeal to an older woman, or one who has dealt with infidelity or loss of a child.
Of the two I warmed more to Ria, played nicely by Olivia Williams. Andie Macdowell I found very dry here. Though I felt sorry for her, I did not especially feel moved or overly convinced.
The movie itself is filmed very nicely and the soundtrack works well. I would say it is okay to catch on tv, but not a must-see.
October 11, 2010
I thought this one was copying Nancy Meyers' < The Holiday > at first since there were 70% resemblances between two. Until I found out that < Tara Road > was indeed coming out a year before < The Holiday >, plus which was adapted from a novel. Nevertheless, this is still quite a tedious one, no matter what.
September 12, 2010
Sweet movie that i watched while ironing !!!!
September 12, 2010
well umn just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a good movie 2 watch................its got a good cast of actors/actressess throughout this movie..................i think that andie macdowell, olivia williams, stephen rea, brenda fricker, jean-marc barr, iain glen, heike makatsch, ruby wax, maria doyle kennedy play good roles/parts throughout this movie........i think that andie macdowell, olivia williams, jean-marc barr, ruby wax were great throughout this movie.................i think that the director of this drama movie had done a good job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie..............i think that this is a really good drama movie 2 watch its got a great cast thorughout this movie n its a good drama movie with a brilliant cast throughout this movie
April 12, 2010
I really enjoyed the book. The movie was mostly true to the story.
½ April 5, 2010
Liked it better than The Holiday, but now disappointed they made one with the same story line one year later...
½ April 5, 2010
Because I loved the book so much I was really looking forward to the movie. It was not good. While it stayed pretty true to the book, the story was much too long to fit into a motion picture. This should have been made into a mini series. Even Stephen Rea and Brenda Fricker couldn't save this one for me.
½ March 26, 2010
Read the book by Maeve Binchy a long time ago and really liked it. Tumbled upon this film but..... not so good. Cut short, obviously, and many of the characters, well, not so engaging. Luckily only spent 1 euro on it
½ March 14, 2010
2 women switch houses just as in The Holiday. The holiday was a fun romp. This was more deeper and I enjoyed it very much. :-)
August 27, 2009
Caught this one part way through, but picked it up pretty quick. More of a made for TV type of film, but pretty enjoyable anyhow.
½ August 24, 2009
This has a similar premise to the later rom-com 'The Holiday', although this film is a lot more serious about the issues it portrays. It's good, but not great.
August 12, 2009
Very similar to "The Holiday", but a little too boring.