Northanger Abbey Reviews

• Jan 07, 2021

Good, childish fun but nothing to write home about.

Good, childish fun but nothing to write home about.

• Jun 09, 2018

Charming adaption of Jane Austen's satirical sendup of the newly fashionable Gothic novels of her day.

• Feb 17, 2017

A nice romantic comedy from Jane Austen, the movie suffers from being too short, as it has a rushed feel, and in particular an abrupt ending. But Felicity Jones and JJ Feild are excellent, as are others in the cast, and it holds together well enough.

• May 19, 2016

Typical Jane Austin.

Typical Jane Austin.

• Dec 31, 2015

Northanger Abbey I think suffers from not being as sexy as Pride and Prejudice adaptations. Henry Tilney is no brooding,desirable Mr. Darcy. However I think this film does a good job romance wise in making Henry Tilney the Good Guy Next Door, sweet and dependable, a little dorky at times. Isabelle despite her gold digging flaws was forgiven because I want a friend that would recommend wildly inappropriate books with that air of secrecy and Cheshire Cat grin. Maybe that is one reason I like this movie, it is about the adventures of a Reader of Romances.

• Dec 10, 2015

Thoroughly enjoyable Austen romance with a light, frothy touch. Stellar performance, particularly from Felicity Jones, and lovely scenery.

• Oct 24, 2014

I really enjoyed this, especially having recently read the book. It is good adaptation for the screen, nicely vamping up the spoof Gothic scenes to emphasise Jane Austen's comic writing. I think Andrew Davies wrote the script and did a pretty good job. The cast is pretty good to :)

• Jun 26, 2014

I greatly enjoyed this movie - it was beautiful, sweet and touching...:) Plus, the actors were totally unknown to me which made the story even more believable...:) Two thumbs up!:)

• Jun 10, 2014

Nicely done period piece.

Nicely done period piece.

• May 12, 2014

Catherine Moreland (Felicity Jones): "And you?" Mr. Tilney (J.J. Field): "Well, if I am to retain my father's favor, I must marry a fortune too." Catherine Moreland (Felicity Jones): "And shall you?" Mr. Tilney (J.J. Field): "I had always hoped that I would be lucky, the girl I fell in love with would come with a fortune attached." Catherine Moreland (Felicity Jones): "And if she should not?" Mr. Tilney (J.J. Field): "Then, that would be a very stern test of my character." I initially sought this film out because I loved J.J. Feild in "Austenland" and he was wonderful in this one as well (I still preferred his portrayal of Henry Nobley but his Mr. Tilney was adorable too). I also love Felicity Jones who plays the main protagonist, Catherine Moreland. She has the most innocent and angelic face; I loved her in "Cheri" and "The Tempest". She and Field have beautiful on-screen chemistry. The story was cute. I liked that Catherine was a bit more demure and less brash or opinionated than the usual Austen heroine, like Elizabeth Bennet or Emma Woodhouse; I mean, don't get me wrong I also love Lizzie Bennet because she's bold and a strong-willed woman but there was just something so appealing about Catherine's naiveté. Plus, one can't help but identify with Catherine especially when she day-dreams all those silly situations. What girl hasn't done that? It makes you reminisce and laugh at yourself in a way for being so foolish once upon a time. This film has become an instant favorite with me and I can't wait to read the because I absolutely adored Mr. Tilney; he's probably even better love-interest than Mr. Darcy! So, in short, I love this film: love the story, loved the cast and loved the ending....love, love, love, love, love.