27 Dresses - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

27 Dresses Reviews

½ November 25, 2016
Very romantic and funny. Loved it.
½ October 8, 2016
Katherine Heigl and James Marsden star in 27 Dresses. Heigl is Jane, a girl who always a bridesmaid, but never a bride. This is the case so much so that she even attends two different weddings at one night, going back and forth between the two. In the process of this, she is noticed by Kevin (Marsden) and cannot believe she is able to handle and plan this turn of events.

Jane is always up for helping her friends and plan their weddings, that she has little time for herself. She works for a wonderful boss George (Ed Burns) and is in love with him, but is afraid to tell him how she feels. Right when she is on the verge of telling him, her sister Tess (Malin Akerman) comes in and steals her moment, and the two begin dating. A good portion of the film continues with them dating, as Jane continues to pretend she is alright with it. Kevin is shadowing the events of the whole wedding as he is writing a story about Jane being a bridesmaid unknown to anyone. What bothers Jane the most is her sister Tess is not even being true to herself, and simply trying to impress George.

Heigl was surprisingly good as Jane as she goes through a roller coaster of emotions. You feel her uneasiness of the awkward situations she is, but still feel for her as she does her best to support her loved ones. The film breaks the Hollywood mold of love at first sight, as the audience knows that Heigl and Marsden will wind up together, but goes through an interesting path for her to realize this. The film has a few hokey moments, but has many realistic interactions between characters that are well written. Jane is certainly relatable, and there are quite of people who know people that are selfish and thoughtless like Tess, or against the ideals of marriage such as Marsden. The theme of the 27 dresses really permeates through the film and it advances the plot and brings the film to closure rather than just being a simple title. There is a great scene where Heigl goes through and models a good portion of the 27, which really connects Kevin and Jane. A few moments in the film have you wondering how Heigl has so many friends all of which seem to want to be in her wedding. These women are hardly seen, nor do they interact, but this inclusion could have also seriously bogged down the story and pacing of the film. The film is not a movie that will make you laugh out loud, cry or feel any intense emotion, but it's a good movie.

- 10.08.2016
October 1, 2016
This is good and certainly interesting movie to have been made by director Anne Fletcher but she does a good job in charge of the production, as this romantic comedy stars Katherine Heigl as Jane, an amateur wedding planner who hopes to be the blushing bride one day, until her ditzy sister (Malin Akerman) steals her man.

Heigl suits the role of Jane well as she has worn 27 different outfits for 27 different weddings, something of which will never happen in real-life, and she is quite annoyed and angered that her sibling has stolen the man she secretly loves.

Akerman gives a good performance as her sister but Heigl is the better of the two, while there is good support to be had from Edward Burns in his role as the man who Akerman marries, while James Marsden is good as the reporter who has his eyes set on Heigl - but she doesn't know it.

The direction from Fletcher is good as the pace does not slow down, and the script is well written by Aline Brosh McKenna as there are good laughs to be had.

Overall, this is one enjoyable and respectable film with the two leads good and the narrative is definitely there.
September 26, 2016
Love James Marsden in this movie. They work really well together. Great casting.
½ September 5, 2016
As formulaic and predictable as this chic flick is, it was thoroughly enjoyable. Makes you wonder why Kathryn Heigl isn't cast anymore because she's wonderful.
July 24, 2016
7/23/2016: Not a bad movie actually. Heigl was beautiful and very likable along with the test of the cast.
June 7, 2016
It's a fantasy/delusional love story. It has flaws and some good moments. It's not even close to perfect. But like the wedding, who's gonna say it's unpleasant? ___[ C+ ]
½ April 24, 2016
Predictable and uses that classic guy-uses-stalker-tactics-to-get-the-girl trope. It must have had something going for it though - it did keep me watching until the end.
January 5, 2016
Feel good fun movie easy watching. Loved watching with my girls
January 5, 2016
I think the male lead reminded me so much of myself that I ended up enjoying this a lot.
½ September 2, 2015
This movie could've been so much better he had so much potential however it was a total disaster I feel bad even watching it for the actors don't recommend this movie At all
½ July 17, 2015
This is the rare movie that Katherine Heigl did not manage to ruin. She is a terror on the set, questioning every move of the Director.
July 13, 2015
November 17th-18th 2009
July 12th 2015
July 5, 2015
The characterization of Katherine Heigl's character drove me crazy. Yes, I get that she was a character that couldn't say no. She was also someone that couldn't tell the truth when it mattered and yet faults her writer friend for "lying". The women characters were hard to deal with and the male characters were really predictable. Although it was frustrating at times you have to watch all the way through to get some sort of satisfaction.
July 5, 2015
I loved it! Typical chic flick but I love Katherine Heigl
July 1, 2015
One of the chick-flickiest chick flicks I've ever seen, down to every last piece of the predictable formula.
June 22, 2015
I'm not a chick flick kind of girl but this one makes me laugh so hard every time. Katherine Heigl interprets her character on point. Every character has a beautifully developed personality and when they come together, the story makes perfect sense.
½ June 13, 2015
A really fun chick flick. Sure you could probably predict the ending before you hit play but you'll still be entertained by how funny and sweet this film was. Marsden never fails to be hilarious but this was definetly Heigl's funniest role yet.
June 8, 2015
Typical chick flick, with the exception that I did not want to gouge my eyes out the whole time. Had good humor and didn't choke you with corny lines throughout the whole movie. Biggest complaint was that cyclops didn't use his laser eyes at all throughout the whole movie.
½ May 21, 2015
Barely believable love story; the rest is just fine - the plot is entertaining, the characters are as believable as possible in a romantic chick-wedding-flick, but I just did not buy into the growing love of these people. Neeeh