A Star Is Born - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Star Is Born Reviews

April 18, 2019
Wow, I just watched 'A Star is Born', it was unbelievably awful, like if a thirteen year old girl with daddy issues wrote a sentimental TV movie. Bradley Cooper is a good actor but he's no writer or director, and this was clearly the self-indulgent vanity project of someone who knows he's getting too old for the pretty boy roles and so is trying to be taken seriously in another area (that didn't stop him sticking in loads of gratuitous shots of his perfectly toned torso though - like, the character is an ageing alcoholic, shouldn't he have a beer gut?) It's almost as if the plot of the film exists to groom young girls into giving head backstage with the promise that they'll be made a star, AS IF Ally would ever have the experience she did in real life with the kind of narcissistic misogynistic behaviour you get in the music industry where women are treated as low value commodities. There were no dramatic highs and lows throughout the whole film, no depth to the characters whatsoever (why isn't there some exploration of the fact that they're in a codependent relationship? Why is it just treated as a joke or as 'romantic' when he's drunk and cruelly humiliating her, shoving cake all over her face? What about when he asks her to marry him on the spot as though that's going to solve everything? Seriously, what is with this myth of the friendly, easy-going romantic alcoholic they're pushing here? This is not how it is in real life, more likely Ally would be walking around with black eyes). The plot was so incredibly clich´┐ 1/2 (C)d and predictable I ended up watching it on fast forward as I was losing the will to live. They even had an English 'baddie' like in all the 80s movies, but sadly he was no Alan Rickman. I thought Gaga was great when she did ott comedic skits on SNL, but she was dreadful in this, mostly due to the terrible script and the fact that her face could barely register any emotions being so plumped full of Botox and fillers. I cannot believe this was an Oscar nominated film, most over-hyped trash I think I've ever seen, and not even sparkly silly fun trash, so overwrought and humourless. I'm just waiting for him to say something nasty about Jews and the picture will be complete, Bradley Cooper is the new Mel Gibson. The dog was good though.
½ April 17, 2019
Garbage. Couldn't finish this movie. Could have gotten more sex rewatching princess bride.
April 16, 2019
This movie is brilliant breathtakingly beautiful,
April 13, 2019
Absolutely phenomenal! ­
April 13, 2019
i cried. and im not the kinda guy who cries
½ April 11, 2019
Chemistry was non existent.
April 11, 2019
One of the greatest remakes in history. Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper have fantastic chemistry, and every character works in this film. It is truly moving.
April 9, 2019
Lady Gaga est un bijou et ce film l'est tout autant
½ April 8, 2019
Bradley Cooper updates this classic tale for a new generation. The latest iteration of this story follows Jackson Maine as he navigates fame while meeting Ally who is a young singer trying to find her place. There is an instant connection between the two popping off the screen as soon as they appear together. The underlying story is one of a singer rising to incredible fame while another teeters toward a path of self-destruction.

The cues are apparent throughout the film and there is little surprise when key events take place. Jackson is an alcoholic who has sometimes more concern for his next drink than the person standing next to him. We are given some insight into how his father affected him but he is pretty guarded about opening up about what bothers him. He is someone who has struggled with the disease for a long time. His insecurities come to the surface in his frequent drunken rages.

The heart of this movie is shown by Sam Elliott who is the brother trying to keep Jackson together. He has seen him in his worst moments but still stands by him until it is impossible to support him. This film explores alcoholism warts and all showing a talented singer who cannot leave his disease even as it threatens to destroy everything he has built. Cooper embodies the man with a lot of emotional baggage well making it painful to watch the self-destruction. His singing voice surprised me not picturing the skill and believability of an artist. This is one of the few roles I did not think of the actor and that is a good thing as he becomes the character playing something we have not seen from him.

Lady Gaga is suitable in this role showing more range than I expected. She was nuanced and believable in a role tailor made for her unique talents. Her chemistry with Cooper is evident and every time there is a magical feeling seeing them perform together. You can buy them as a couple and she is allowed to show off her impressive pipes without the layers of theatricality she usually infuses in her singing performances. Both lead actors strip away the gloss usually in music focused pictures and give raw, heartfelt performances.

This is a movie which almost reaches greatness but then falls flat near the end causing me to avoid revisiting this film. The structure of the narrative does not fit the ultimate conclusion this movie reaches. I understand the edge Cooper was looking for but this was a clumsy attempt to add weight to the difficulty of Ally's journey. Jackson is self-destructive but we are not really given much insight into his psyche and that makes the ending more difficult to digest. There could have been more of an emotional payoff with a different written ending. Instead, we are left with kind of a rushed ending which is disappointing given some of the stellar moments along the journey.

This a frequently used storyline but Cooper manages to tenderly show fame without falling down some of the same tropes. He focuses more on the dynamics between Jackson and Ally marking one of the more realistic on-screen couples. The plot points are expected and there are no real shocking events except for the ending which again was not really set up. However, he manages to get us to care about the characters being quite a feat in a remake of a movie remade countless times.

The story is told well but the ending falling flat reduces some of the emotional impact building up through the film. The acting is believable and raw throughout the picture making these characters appear real. Remakes can sometimes be better than the original and this is still my favorite version of the story. This is just a film I would not revisit due to the idea of trying to be edgy instead of finishing off the picture as heartfelt as it began.
½ April 8, 2019
I didn't enjoy this as much as everybody else. I loved (most of) the music. but didn't enjoy the humor so much! I guess I preferred the second half of the movie to the first half!
½ April 7, 2019
Bradley Cooper's retread lacks for genuine chemistry between Cooper and Gaga onscreen. I know, I know, they 'connected' offscreen for a rumored romance, but perhaps they should have filmed some of that to document genuine emotion. I found this vanity project by Cooper a poorly written wannabe tear-jerker, one that halfway through made for excruciating viewing. I think I only finished because I thought it would get better. It didn't. Gaga's lack of acting experience is apparent, and what's up with that gravelly voice Cooper is throwing? It's almost as if he's trying to channel Kris Kristofferson is the other A STAR IS BORN. The actors profanity-laced dialogue is not good writing and, when they deliver their lines, you can tell they think they're both going to get Oscars. If you want to watch how not to make a film and write, then this flick's for you.
½ April 7, 2019
A SUPER, GOOD movie, Might see again later. I have seen Most of them & saw the Judy's twice, the B & K one thrice.
April 7, 2019
One of the best movies I've seen in recent years. If you can't relate to these people then I'm sorry that you have never loved and happy that you have never struggled with a loved one with an addiction. Brad Cooper was completely amazing as producer, director and actor. Gaga did much better than expected for her opening acting role and has a talent like we seldom see in a lifetime as a true musician. The sound track is sure to go platinum. I hope that it moves you like it did me.
½ April 6, 2019
Bradley Cooper was great in this movie.Lady Gaga was amazing. I love the songs. It's wonderful and emotional.
April 6, 2019
Here, in his directorial debut, Bradley Cooper presents a third retelling of a timeless romance. It is said that each generation has their own version of A Star is Born; whether it's the 1937 original, Judy Garland's 1954 retelling or Barbra Streisand in 1976. This modern adaptation draws on that same arc of one star ascending whilst another falls, but it also feels very different; Cooper's film is a raw, affecting love story, perfect for the audiences of today.
Cooper himself stars as Jackson Maine, grizzled and drug-addled country rocker, cruising through fame down the side street of self-destruction. The film opens in the midst of an immersive rock concert... before which we see Jack swig from a bottle and pop pills on the side of the stage. Soon enough, we meet the other half of our captivating double act, as Jack stops off at a drag bar only to find Lady Gaga's Ally performing a belting version of La Vie En Rose. He's instantly smitten both with her and her undeniable talent. What follows is a love story of highs and lows, as Ally's success blooms and Cooper's Jack spirals steadily into a pit of addiction. This film not only explores the personal struggles of a relationship, but the paralysing and enticing nature of fame.
Bradley Cooper is transformative in his performance as Jackson; his gravelly tones and haggard gait make for a portrayal that is unrecognisably convincing. What is even more revolutionary, however, is Cooper's direction, an attentive approach to a story that deals with tough themes.
Lady Gaga is a powerful force as Ally; we already know this megastar's ability to dominate a stage and deliver a vocal performance, but what is even more impressive is what we see of Ally when she is still a waitress too afraid to sing the songs she writes. Gaga's performance is a compelling one and the director in Cooper is brilliant at playing to her strengths; we learn to love Ally as she grows into herself, with the help of (but not dependency on) Jack.
Ultimately, what makes A Star is Born a story worth retelling is its central romance; this film always rested entirely on that being believable. Gaga and Cooper's chemistry is simply wonderful; theirs is a real relationship, full of laughter, love and resentment. There's something so ineffable just in the way the characters look at eachother that makes their love so potent and only heightens the emotional effect of the tragedy that follows.
Whilst Jack and Ally's relationship is the obvious focus, other characters stand in the background with Sam Elliott giving a beautifully understated performance as Jack's half-brother Bobby. The relationship between Jack and Bobby is superbly done; the screenwriters know never to allow it to take too much light but it still reaches an emotional payoff in one of the best scenes. In contrast, a manipulative triangle that forms between Jack, Ally and Rafi Gavron's hissable manager is one of the weaker aspects of the film, a little too cliched and rather stunted.
There are also a few structural problems; throughout the second act, events in the story (from hastened wedding to SNL skits) stream too quickly by, yet the pace of Cooper's edit seems to drag. These are quickly resolved by the third act, however, where we are brought back to the lyrical pace of the first hour that works so well.
The soundtrack leaves one slightly underwhelmed; whilst the film's booming anthem, 'Shallow' will stick with you for days, many of the songs lack much memorability with only a few really aiding the storytelling. You almost forget about the songs however in the many concert scenes; Matthew Libatique's cinematography is judicious, an engrossing shoot, from the bright neons of Ally's tour right through to Jackson's rock concerts which we see in the same drunken haze of their star. Outside of these moments too, the film is shot with a tenderness that also manages to feel totally involving.
Early on in the film, Jackson wisely states the importance of having "something to say and a way to say it". This couldn't ring truer of A Star is Born; despite being a third remake, it's a retelling that feels like it was meant to be told. Two alluring lead performances and Cooper's deft direction make this film far from 'Shallow', but rather a deeply moving and dramatic love story that hits all the right notes.
½ April 5, 2019
Total garbage. Lady gaga is a horrible actress, I really wish her weirdo followers would quit supporting this garbage.
½ April 5, 2019
Story seems lengthy and very robot like acting unpassionate and not very compelling
½ April 5, 2019
1st half of the film is great. The ending betrays the characters.
½ April 5, 2019
A little disappointed after all the great reviews. I wanted to love it as the soundtrack is great. It was good, but not great.
½ April 4, 2019
Excellent retelling of a classic tale. Gaga and Cooper are riveting on screen