Absolutely Fabulous: The Movie Reviews

• Apr 09, 2019

Fabulous Darling, absolutely fabulous. Pop the cork, sit back and enjoy the chaos that Eddie & Patsy bring to the screen.

• Mar 24, 2019

Oh! How the divas have fallen, sweetie darling! Trite, sometimes uncharictaristically hateful humor intertwines with a plot that seems all at once overbloated and paper thin. Eddie and Patsie's character dynamic is still pleasurable to watch, but this film takes the "all style, no substance" cake and pies you in the face with it. Do yourself a favor and watch the original series. There's actually some charm there!

• Feb 08, 2019

Is it fun? Sure. Is it good? Reasonably. Is it milking a format? Absolutely. But fabulous? Oh yes sweetie darling!

• Jan 01, 2019

Raucous, glitzy and abundant with devilish charm, Absolutely Fabulous acts is a splendid adaptation of this British TV treat.

• Jul 01, 2018

The ultimate british comedy.

The ultimate british comedy.

• Apr 02, 2018

It isn't really a normal film, as it includes a recount of multiple spurious references from the original series that only core fans would know. So if you fit that demographic... This is the film for people who want to celebrate a series that ended in 2003/2004.

• Feb 08, 2018

Not as entertaining as the TV show, but still well quipped.

Not as entertaining as the TV show, but still well quipped.

• Dec 10, 2017

Whilst it's generally well written, polished and looks good, it lacks any real variety of pace, belly laughs or indeed any real reason for you to care about the story. It's not a bad movie, just not as absolutely fabulous as I'd hoped.

• Sep 16, 2017

A guide to how to get away with a murder! I have never seen the original television series, but I came across and found it interesting to try, only to realise in my watch that it was not what I thought of it. Yeah, definitely my disadvantage was that I didn't know the characters, the universe and all the basics. Those who loved the show might enjoy it better, since they know what to expect from it. I was like looking for a proper intro. The introduction of everything, as I'm not familiar with anything out of it. But it did not come, the story just went on and on from the opening itself. I was confused what's going on, who is who and et al. It took almost half of the film to be comfortable with the scenario of the tale. Once I was there, I thought it was funny in places, yet I did not feel like to have a laugh. Again, I blame myself for missing out the fun for not knowing them very well. It never occurred to me before. I have seen many films that proceeded by its television series which I haven't seen. It looked short and the pace was excellent, so I did not get bored, except not getting the overall film properly. Otherwise, I would have rated it better. I think the people like me should be careful while picking it. Other than that it is an okay film, not a bad film. 5/10

• Jun 23, 2017

Several years on from when we last saw Patsy and Eddy, Patsy is still in her fashion critic role but Eddie's fortunes have waned. Her list of PR clients is limited and low-key and her memoirs are not going to get published. While attempting to gain Kate Moss as a client, Eddie accidentally pushes her into the River Thames. Moss does not reappear and Eddie becomes a murder suspect, and Public Enemy Number 1. To escape the publicity Eddie and Patsy head for Nice. Being a fan of the TV series I did not have great expectations for this movie. TV-to-movie conversions seldom work and in this case the TV series finished four years previously and was pretty much done long before that. In the end, I was right about the conversion aspect - there's not enough material to sustain a feature film and the movie is festooned with silly scenes to pad out the time. The characters haven't aged well, and Joanna Lumley's script has not really adapted to their aging, seeming to still be based in the 90s in terms of character traits. Saffy / Julia Sawalha and Bubble / Jane Horrocks are particularly hard done by in this regard. This said, its not all bad. There is a great swipe at the pretentiousness of the fashion industry and the superficiality of the media. There are also a few very funny moments. While the main characters feel like they're misplaced in time, and are living off old glories, some of the secondary characters make up for this. Kathy Burke as Magda is particularly entertaining. Ultimately quite uneven with just enough good bits to make it likable.