Across the Universe - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Across the Universe Reviews

Page 1 of 2076
½ April 23, 2018
Socorro, porque un musical de los Beatles, saldría perfecta, pero debería haber sabido mejor, que era adecuado dejarlo estar, libre como un pájaro, porque Dios mío, qué vergüenza ajena da a veces.
½ April 22, 2018
A story mixed with The Beatles, fucking awesome
April 8, 2018
I felt tired of this film within the first few momentss of watching it. It did not feel at all like the era it sought to depict it just felt modern and painfully irritating. I looked up the Wikippedia description which helped me not to waste any more time on it, where it was going was ludicrously over the top and ridiculous. If i want to see the sixty's in a film i'd much rather seek one out actually set in the time and if i feel like listening to the beatles i'd rather just watch we all live in a yellow submarine. Perhaps if this film had been made by someone british it might have had more substance or grit but a flimsy plot like this screams American. I guess ithere are millions of old musicals with as ridiculous plots but for some reason for them it doesn't seem to matter. Maybe it is just the inability of a modern actor to give a realistic depiction of an era their modern experience prevents them having any real conception of.
April 2, 2018
For the life of me I cannot understand the people that totally disliked this movie... especially the baby boomer generation. This is an absolutely fun movie and you will find yourself singing along - what's to not like about that? Just watch it and have some fun!
February 20, 2018
One of the best movies I've ever seen. Another case of the Critics being super right or super wrong when you look at their reviews, they're all fresh or rotten really no inbetween.
½ February 2, 2018
A God awful film. Nothing at all is good about this film. Awful cast, awful story (if there actually is one), and the film itself does not flow at all. God awful covers of Beatles classics make this film something that should be tossed away in a garbage pile. Stay Away if you like the Beatles.
December 4, 2017
Overall good movie, got confusing with symbolism, great tribute to the beatles
November 20, 2017
The entire movie is like a collage i could never get tired of it !!!
November 10, 2017
A beautiful way of bringing The Beatles music to life. I just wish the story was more interesting. And sometimes songs are put in solely because the director liked them. They stick out like a sore thumb. At least 4 songs could be cut for a much cleaner product. But it?s still enjoyable.
November 6, 2017
The music and dance is the only parts worth watching.
Bradley T. Johnson
November 3, 2017
Nearly insufferable with one-dimensional, boring characters who draw no sympathy, and a plot that is whisper thin. Musical numbers vary from clever, to exhausting and over-the-top, with visuals that overstimulate. It results in a movie musical that is just not much fun. Rating: 40
September 9, 2017
Ten minutes of entertainment packed into a 150-minute film. I won't waste time on an in-depth review, but think of the worst film you ever saw. This is worse than that.
September 8, 2017
This is about as frustrating as movies come. A musical that can, at times, absolutely capture the magic and spirit of the Beatles, yet leave out so much of the other elements and - quite frankly - songs that made the band so damned good. A visual feat that can, at times, completely dazzle the audience with spellbinding imagery and production value, yet populate said images and set pieces with less than inspired characters and plot devices. It's a superficial marvel, no doubt, but I think the one thing that Taymor undoubtedly misses the mark on here is fairly simple: depth.
September 6, 2017
It turned all the best classics into a movie full of passion, adventure, and a view of the world during that time period.
August 25, 2017
Sing a-long goodness. Generally works.
½ August 1, 2017
Functions well as an original jukebox musical, chronicling the 60s with the Beatles being given tributes through socialistic, energetic and electric visuals, even though the music is the main focus over the performances to fulfill the characters' stances. (B)

(Full review TBD)
June 23, 2017
Pretentious, annoying and with all the sincerity of a first year drama school production.
And the awful segways into Beatles songs.....oh so here is a superfluous side character conveniently named Prudence who has suddenly turned up and has locked herself in the closet for no apparent reason. Now what song shall we sing as we gather all our friends around to lure this pointles and strangely angsty girl out?? "Dear Prudence......won't you come out to play-a-ay".........Ahhh! It is like beating yourself over the head with a stick for 2 hours. If you are in way a Beatles fan, do not go near this!
June 11, 2017
Still a favorite after watching it in Film Club in school.
½ June 8, 2017
'Across the Universe' is a true work of art, which maybe comes from a major plot point of the main character being an artist, or just because Julie Taymor created something so visually stunning and moving to the soul. The music of the Beatles is strong within anyone, from the 60s to current day society, and this film blends together the best of their music through a touching love story, war story, and story of the culture of the 60s and hippie and strike culture. Although some of the dance numbers are not natural to the flow of the movie, they are still some of the most intriguing and make for some of the most beautiful moments of the film. The two leads (played by an energetic and beautifully voiced Jim Sturgess and a likable and talented Evan Rachel Wood) really take the audience on their love story and compel us and captivate us and show us the true meaning of love. Love is shown to have its ups and downs, but in the end, "love is all you need." And love is all I have for this film. It's a blend of some of my favorite things: music, romance, and the 1960s. The atmosphere of the 60s sometimes becomes too psychedelic, but that's the point, I guess, for the culture is mostly represented accurately and beautifully through the music and talented work by its actors. 'Across the Universe' will give you the feels, make you happy, and let you embrace such an interesting period of time, and shouldn't go without a viewing or two.
June 6, 2017
A visually and rhythmically pleasing film, Across the Universe may not bring anything new in terms of a story or plot. However, what I enjoyed was 'how' the plot was told. Where the music and songs would halt the story in some films, the songs in Across the Universe helped carry the story and helped give insight into the characters that sang them. I'm know that this isn't a film for everyone, but to the right crowd, it can be very enjoyable. Overall, I'm glad I saw this film.
Page 1 of 2076