Adam's Apples - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Adam's Apples Reviews

June 30, 2016
A comedy drama with liberal doses of black humor- story of a neo-Nazi ex-convict in a showdown with a chronically optimistic priest trying to rehabilitate him. Full of vivid Biblical imagery and references, examining faith and its crisis. Danish cult hit, both uproariously funny and frequently shocking, starring two of Denmark's most internationally well-known actors- Mikkelsen and Thomsen (both of whom incidentally played charismatic and iconic bad guys in two TV series- Hannibal and Banshee respectively).
February 26, 2016
This one may have a tendency to sneak up on you. It's a slow burner more than a hot comer. But bottom line, it's a film about human pathos and need for connection. Yes, even the most violent and ill formed must find love for ultimate change. Just ask Ivan the preacher. He's got the touch.

At first appearance, one may feel that Ivan is another gung-ho liberal, lover of all who ignores reality, pretending there is no evil in the world because, well, he's never seen it and is naive as hell. But Ivan is not of that ilk. He only appears to be soft of mind and soft of heart and upbringing. But as the film progresses, you get the feeling that this soft nut not only has a hard shell but center as well. Why? Well, he was raped as a child, lost his wife to suicide, and his son to a debilitating disease, at least mentally. He's worked so hard to ignore these facts that even his tumor can't take his life. It apparently just likes to remind him to stay distracted with a little bleeding from the ear when things get too real so as to stave off ultimate demise. But why? Well, it appears Ivan is on a mission.

The Neo-nazi, Adam (appropriately named) initially takes delight in discovering that Ivan can only survive by ignoring reality and does everything in his power to grind that reality down Ivan's throat. What's a neo-Nazi to do?

Ah, but there's something a foot here. There appears to be a soft center in this lover of killing and hate, for Adam begins to take a shine to Ivan and even becomes protective by film's end, grows hair, and becomes an advocate of all things Ivan, supporting him as only a good brother in faith can.Maybe Adam just respects how tough Ivan is, and how he's not only able to overcome his great challenges but reaches out best he can, bravely, kindly to help others. He's part miracle, part insane savior. And it appears Adam finds these qualities endearing and expanding. Could our killer have found human compassion? Say it isn't so! Ah, Ivan what have you done?

A violent, perverse love story. Certainly, one of a kind. A must view.
½ February 15, 2016
Trying to find the moral of this story will puzzle you and leave you with a funny feeling. Everything is done more than well in this one, and the story is one worth watching.
½ December 13, 2015
Brilliant film, as a lot of Danish films are. Mads Mikkelsen is an excellent actor full stop. So this is a must see. It's a very delicate setting; a neo-nazi prisoner is released into the community on the condition that he lives at a Christian rehabilitation centre. The film is funny, brutal, clever, and ultimately heart-warming.
September 22, 2015
Aptuveni pirms 5 gadiem Aiva Birbele man ier?d?ja vienu d??u kinogabalu, kur mani j?smin?t j?smin?ja. Iedom?jos, ka varb?t k?ds no jums to nav redz?jis. :)
½ July 29, 2015
Things for Ivan, a local church vicar, have not been going well as he has a terminal illness which seems to be finally clamping down on his last few days of life. He opens his doors to all, regardless of their history. As is the case with the current inhabitants whom include a Muslim extremist as well as overweight local boy who is seemingly to big for his own good. But when a neo-nazi gang leader regretfully shows up, he is accepted with open arms. Blinded by compassion, the many failed attempts of this hateful man to ruin the others lives seem to go by unnoticed.

Mads Mikkelsen once again displays his superior acting talent in this dry-humored film about hope, faith, and friendship amongst a diverse few. It is all but too unfortunate that there hasn't been a larger viewing audience for such a great film.
½ December 14, 2014
Deep wounds called for deep barriers for one hyper-deluded individual and then another person's intentional mischaracterization of the Book of Job to break through those deep barriers, but at a very heave price (sort of). One hell of an Odyssey-type journey for apple pie! Great symbolism and overall story through.

Some people found it amusing as a dark comedy, but I think for me the comedy is lost in translation (except for the car scenes with the music, which I loved). While the comedy may have been lost on me, I certainly appreciated the depth of the story.
½ October 14, 2014
Really weird, dark movie. Mads Mikkelsen gives a great comedic performance; he goes from hilarious to pitiful in a moment. Unfortunately Mikkelsen is the only recommendable thing about this movie.
September 16, 2014
Good performance from Mikkelsen. A touching dark comedy about a Danish Job.
August 8, 2014
No comedy is as black as the Danish kind. This film is a superb gem, Thomsen and Mikkelsen shine as always and you'll want to see more Danish comedies. Even if the noises coming out of their mouths make no sense whatsoever.
July 30, 2014
A quirky dark comedy that comes together in a quirky fashion. The synopsis itself is really bizarre, a neo-Nazi in community service with an extremely troubled priest and the strange fight between good and evil. Overall, I enjoyed the movie as a whole, everything came together and is quite original, in its own way. The odd bunch of characters fit together well somehow, making it just that much more enjoyable. I don't see it as a movie that most people would go out of their way to see, but I'm glad I did. Surprisingly.
July 20, 2014
odd, cute little gem
July 6, 2014
Quirky odd unique movie
½ June 20, 2014
Dark, crazy and twisted - great movie.
"Goddamnit, I wanna go someplace, where people die when they are sick, and don't sit in the yard eating cowboy toast when they have been shot through the head."
April 28, 2014
"Let's stop with the accusations. It was an old cat. He just happened to fall down while we were shooting. " possibly the best line in the movie! Black Comedy at its finest !
February 23, 2014
Wicked Danish Black Comedy featuring a Priest (Mads Mikkelsen) that lives in the state of perpetual denial and is in charge of the rehabilitation of 3 men! Adam the Neo Nazi, Gunner the Alcoholic, Rapist and Klepto, Khalid the Statoil terrorist!

I guarantee you have never seen a film quite like this sinfully delicious bizarre avant-garde film! A film where even the audience goes amuck, and actually finds themselves enjoying perhaps even cheering on the brutality inflicted by the Neo Nazi on the priest!
February 7, 2014
"The movie is all surface, loudly clamoring for attention and then losing its voice."
½ October 20, 2013
"Profane the covenant of our fathers by breaking faith with one another?"

A profound Danish film that's unexpectedly humorous.

20/10/2013
August 26, 2013
Anders Thomas Jensen shows us a world where dark humor is repetitively hit-or-miss and filled with an unusual script. But he also shows us a world of character development and a wonderful performance by Ulrich Thomsen as a neo-nazi.
July 21, 2013
It was sooo fucking good. I love Mads and this movie is so funny. It reminds me of a movie George Clooney would play in if it was American. Just watch it...it's funny, sad, and weird all at the same time.