The Americanization of Emily - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Americanization of Emily Reviews

½ September 10, 2016
"It's the VIRTUE of war that's the fraud, not war itself." A unique little lost gem about legacy, war and death. The way language and sexuality are utilized to portray seemingly modern ideas on the effects of warfare must've been fairly controversial at the time. However, the dialogue and performances from Andrews to Garner to Coburn pop off the screen in fully old-fashioned screwball fashion. "I want you to remember that the last time you ever saw me, I was unregenerately eating a Hershey bar."
August 30, 2016
Did not seem to know what kind of movie it wanted to be, romantic, comedy, drama, war flick?
July 26, 2016
One of my all time favorite movies. Outstanding characters and plot so well crafted, it got completely stolen for the beginning of Edge Of Tomorrow. A Brilliant film that "introduced" Julie Andrews (and an incredible cast to boot).
March 4, 2016
Wonderful movie with an incredible cast and unbelievable screenplay
½ February 16, 2016
A fun and entertaining romantic comedy.
August 13, 2015
Despite the title the film really has little to do with the love story or Julie Andrew's Emily. It's mostly James Garner's film as his cowardly aid does everything in his power to avoid seeing combat. The broad topic of this film seems more like the sort of thing you'd expect from the '60s or '70s counter-culture movement as we're expected to sympathize with the idea that war is immensely stupid and celebrating heroes a travesty. It would have fitted better if it had been in Korea or Vietnam and could easily have stood alongside MASH or Good Morning Vietnam. As it stands it's their older, slightly frizzier big brother.
April 26, 2015
Awful, awful, awful, a lousy movie that takes it's self much to seriously garner and Andrews must be totally regret that they were a part of this mess
March 12, 2015
Interesting and cynical movie about war. Reminds me a little of Billy Wilder, specifically the characters of Stalag 17. Good script.
½ February 17, 2015
Great politics for its time. This is a real ass movie, buncha truth bombs about war, politics, glory and sentimentality. The only downside is that Charlie's the only real 3D character in the film. Even Emily is pretty flat... Though she gets better by the end.
November 15, 2014
James Garner's favorite film that he made. James Garner was a real life Korean War Veteran and Purple Heart Winner and this was in it's own way an Anti-War Film. A strong statement from a generation of men who served in war.
July 31, 2014
An excellent sort of dark comedy set in the days leading up to and during D-Day. Garner is totally perfect as the wise cracking, sarcastic laid back naval officer. He is more interested in finding hard to find commodities and taking care of the Admiral than fighting any war. The writing is excellent, Julie Andrews is great as Garner's love interest and Coburn and Douglas are also great in supporting roles. The last thirty minutes are wonderfully ironic and just perfect.
July 28, 2014
James Garner gives his best speeches and Julie Andrews falls in love. What a great film.
July 28, 2014
James Garner and Julie Andrews are great in this satire about WWII. It gave a different perspective to what war is. Great acting, screen play, and photography. Wish it had been in color since it was made in 1964.
½ July 26, 2014
When you think of movie genres "anti-war comedy's" rarely comes to mind. I believe it's the only one I have ever seen and I surprised to see this kind of movie from this time period. This film is intensely philosophical and not subtle about it at all. Direct and frank conversations about the value of war and the solder are plentiful along with longwinded monologues. This can be a tricky thing to pull off in a film without sounding preachy or coming off unrealistic, but this movie makes it work within the context of the story. It stars James Garner as Lt. Cmdr. Charles Edward Madison who took a job as a kind of navy publicist when he realized how hard fighting actually was. Weather he came up with his anti-war rationalization out of cowardice or if he actually believes his own rap is left up to the viewer to decide. This is one of Julie Andrews first films and only black and white film. I always found her to be too matronly to be attractive but in this movie I found her very beautiful. There are also a few elements of this film that reminded me of Casablanca, a man who is only out for himself who has his selfish believes tested for a greater good. James Codburn plays Lt. Cmdr. Paul 'Bus' Cummings, Garners eventual counterpoint, a man whose face could be a star trek alien without any prosthetics. I think the biggest problem with this film is the title, look past it because it's very misleading and has nothing to do with "Americanization".
July 20, 2014
Maybe the best peace movie ever made highlighted by soliloquies by Garner about war and love. Original footage spliced in ingenious ways to show the folly of the pursuit of war.
July 3, 2014
An enjoyable anti-war movie,good acting, especially from Garner and Coburn.
June 17, 2014
partway thru this movie I thought "how did this movie get made?" Its satire of war was quite a script. the ironic turn of events at the end was both contrived to create a happy ending yet twisted in a way that matched his philosophy. A head scratcher.
½ June 16, 2014
Paddy Chayefsky has never been more despicable yet more poignant in this underappreciated wartime farce.
½ April 10, 2014
Wednesday, April 9, 2014

(1964) The Americanization Of Emily

Adapted from the 'novel' written by William Bradford Huie, which viewers have to adapt their brains to the James Garner character who's job description is what the US army would call a 'dog-runner'. He plays a Lt. Cmdr. Charles Edward Madison, who works as an intern for top admirals, which 'dog runners' provide them with whatever they want, whether it'll be girls, food or liquor etc... and it just happens to be somewhere on England too. One of the major problems I had was that, I had a hard time trying to figure out whether it was set during WWII, or did it take place right after it, since many references were being made throughout without grasping it's actual time frame, for it made many suggestions. And by the time it reached more than the half way mark, that was when I finally was able to tell that the time this film was based on was right before D-Day. The second problem is that the top admiral, played by Melvyn Douglas appears to be, too laid back for my tastes. I mean, to document a movie is one thing, but to send thousands to their deaths is another.

At the beginning, viewers get to subject themselves to see how a 'dog-runner' operates- not just an introductory description about what they do, before Charles begins to fall in love with a volunteer war widow, Emily(Julie Andrews). And it complicates matters even more, when Charlie's admiral wanted him to film the very first sailor/ soldier to set foot on Omaha Beach, even though Charles himself has no known army training experience, nor know anything about film making, except that he does know how to act like a complete coward, which was why he liked being a 'dog runner' in the first place.

Because it's based on something that is made up, it's still quite entertaining because of the likable cast of James Garner, Julie Andrews, Melvyn Douglas as the Admiral William Jessup, and James Coburn as Cahrles best friend "Bus". Like 'Saving Private Ryan', 'From Here To Eternity' and 'MASH' and many others, it's just another one of those movies with an actual set up, with a fictional story built into it.

3 out of 4 stars
April 7, 2014
Great film--don't listen to the "critics." Great music, humor, script, satire of war--it's all carried out magnificently! '"Nuff said," said the non-critic!