Monty Python's And Now for Something Completely Different - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Monty Python's And Now for Something Completely Different Reviews

February 4, 2016
This is the 1st Monty Python film, which was targeted towards American audiences. It was a recreation of their most popular skits from the first 2 seasons of their UK TV series, without laugh track. The recreations fall short of the originals. This is a very low budget production.

Monty Python was a genuine, unique and silly British comedy series. There hadn't been anything like it before. For this reason, this film preserves some of their most famous early skits. However, this film will likely not be appreciated by non-fans, who will want to desperately turn it off or run out of the room after the first 10 minutes or so, if they can last that long.

I appreciate the genre and their TV series, but enjoyed their feature films more.
January 3, 2016
I like me some Monty Python, but I'm not a huge fan. And if that description fits you, then you'll also probably like a few of these sketches, but find the movie on the whole a bit disconnected, loud and obviously weird.

The best sketches like "Lumberjack Song", "Twit of the Year Race" and the opening "How to Stay Hidden" are probably worth watching the film at least once to have them in the memory banks. I'm also laughing as I write this with one of the best "clutz destruction" scenes of all times with the Mountain Climber in the office. That was an amazing bit to behold!

So if any of this piques your curiosity - you're going to enjoy this flick enough to be worth it. I just wanted to turn it off a few times for various reasons as well... hence the 3 of 5 rating.
December 4, 2015
This was the first feature length Python movie, an anthology movie that was made up of well known sketches that the crew had done on their TV show, Monty Python's Flying Circus (the first two series). Apparently the main goal of this movie was to break the boys into America, introduce the States to their cult British humour. The film is made up of a variety of famous sketches that had previously been seen on TV but re-shot without an audience and, apparently, with a lower budget. Knowing this actually surprised me because I've always thought this film (and the sketches) looked pretty glossy in a way, the smooth transitions, the more cinematic approach and in some aspects bigger better locations. I don't recall the original series too much as I haven't seen it since I was a kid but I always thought the series looked way more shabby than this.

Its actually amazing to read that some sketches or effects couldn't be recreated for this film because the budget was so low! This makes me wanna go back and watch the TV show to see the differences. Anyway, despite those revelations I've always liked this compilation of classic Python material and seen it as (almost) the definitive versions of the sketches, although that's probably because I grew up with this movie rather than the TV show (will somebody please fondle my buttocks!).

Watching this today as an adult many things have obviously changed, firstly, I actually understand all the gags now, all the little cheeky lines and quips are loud and clear. Its amusing to watch and remember back in the day when I didn't understand certain scenes or dialog. They totally flew over my head and I only enjoyed them mainly because I knew it was silly and because my dad was laughing. Its also quite shocking and hilarious at how offensive this movie actually is in places, its things like this that, back in the day, were virtually normal, maybe slightly taboo, but generally accepted in comedy. Watching now and its incredible! obviously you'd never get away with it. I'm pretty sure the camp soldiers on drill would be lambasted these days, also certain lines are clearly racist...'did you see who moved in next door?', 'oh yes, black as the ace of spades', 'Oh well, there goes the neighbourhood', blimey!

Its also funny to mention as early sketch which starts out with the narration...'In 1970 the British Empire lay in ruins, foreign nationals frequented the streets, many of them Hungarians'. Now is it me or, apart from the fact its Hungarians, the date of course and the sarcasm, this silly statement has actually come true! just replace Hungarians with Polish, Romanian and Bulgarian. Anyway, aside from the awkward, yet admittedly funny, offensive bits, there are of course all the main humdingers that we all know and love. The all time classic dead Parrot sketch with Cleese and Palin, 'nudge nudge, wink wink' with Idle and Jones, the lumberjack song with Palin, how to defend yourself against a man armed with a banana etc...Next to that you of course have the slightly longer skits that form small stories and offered a glimpse into the brilliant future of Python movies that had yet to be made. I actually preferred these at times as they felt more complete, obviously, like tiny comic strips with little tiny story arcs. In this movie the best of which are easily the 'Upper Class Twit of the Year' competition and the 'killer joke', which I reckon could of been made into an entire movie.

But wait! who could forget about those off the wall and quite often gruesome little animations from Gilliam. These were a real highlight for Monty Python, I especially liked them as a kid for obvious reasons. The whole concept just added a completely new layer to the proceedings, the teams surreal comedy could be expanded and more risky with the use of adult cartoons, they looked cheap and tacky, but at the same time so very well created. The almost shabby, bare bones, crude methods used for these little animated moments feel very much like a precursor to [i]South park[/i] if you ask me, it definitely seems that way, but the fact that some of the cartoon animations (and the style) have become just as big as the live action sketches goes to prove how fantastic they were. Everybody knows a Monty Python cartoon image when they see one.

All in all, even though this film could be looked upon as not entirely classic Python seeing as they remade everything from the original series for the cinema, and to some people that might cheapen or water down their act, the film has managed a cult following. Although, I must say, with all the various incarnations of their famous sketches, they can start to feel tiresome on occasion, I have often found one specific version of a sketch to be the best with many others missing a beat. Anyway being the first Python movie this naturally holds a special place in most fans hearts and its still an excellent spicy little ride. Application forms for lion tamer are available to all those with the proper qualifications only, thank you.
½ October 16, 2015
This and their Holy Grail movie are the only truly worthwhile films monty python ever did. The title is a bit of a joke itself, because all of the short, comedic set pieces that compose the film were originally aired on BBC as part of their tv show
September 24, 2015
maybe not completely different but good n funny
July 30, 2015
Not as geniously funny as The Mening of life.
½ May 27, 2015
A film compiled of the best sketches, unlike the other films there was no narrative and this was just a best of compilation film. Hilarious without a doubt, classic monty python that survives the test of time as comedy genius.
April 28, 2015
I'm a lumberjack & I'm ok!
½ April 24, 2015
Sadly, I've never understood what people found funny about Monty Python. The movies like Holy Grail make it funny, but not the show. What I do love is how it's completely random and absurd. And the characters are so proper but ridiculous. The only time I've seen it duplicated is with John Lithgow's character on 3rd Rock From The Sun. In Monty Python the roles are either oblivious or they act like serious, sophisticated actors in a movie directed by an eccentric amateur like Ed Wood. It's fantastically surreal, but like I said, I don't laugh much at it.
½ March 27, 2015
A novelty in a pre-home video world, 'Something Completely Different' now feels archaic and just a cheaper compilation of the Pythons' best work. Some of it remains as gut busting as ever, such as the Parrot or Lumberjack, but others lack the spark or kinesia of the first go around, and can't quite sustain a feature runtime.
March 15, 2015
I was a huge fan of Monty Python when I was a youngster. I would watch it all the time on TV when my mother would let me. This is a perfect example of how hilarious and groundbreaking these guys were.
January 30, 2015
Full on Python brilliance without the restraint of scripts or plot. Full review later.
January 6, 2015
Ce premier film de Monty Python est tordant, déjanté et absurde. Un classique inimitable de la comédie.
December 29, 2014
La primera película del grupo británico Monty Python, famoso por la magnífica serie para la televisión "Monty Python's Flying Circus", es en realidad una recopilación de algunos de sus mejores sketches realizados para la televisión como "la canción del leñador", "el loro muerto" o "el chiste más mortífero del mundo". Puede ser un sorprendente descubrimiento para los iniciados como un gratificante reencuentro para los "pythonólogos" expertos.
½ September 19, 2014
A great introduction to the world of Monty Python on a cinematic scale. I wish over the years that SCTV and Saturday Night Live had captured some of their classic fare on the big screen in a similar way.
August 4, 2014
And Now For Something Completely Different shows Monty Python at their best, and sometimes at the worst. The film is comprised mostly of well-known sketches as well as a few that don't quite work or just aren't funny. There are a few changes and edits here and there but this is a great starting point for newcomers.
June 27, 2014
Amazing I like the bit were it is the military fairy it's hilarious you have to see it
April 13, 2014
It is random and somewhat disorganized - but this is Monty Python. It is amazingly hilarious, and despite the aforementioned randomness, it kind of makes sense.
January 16, 2014
The modern era of comedy kick started right here.