Another Earth - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Another Earth Reviews

½ December 9, 2016
This low-key indie sci-fi boasts of a perfect mix of pathos and mystery. The discovery of Earth Two serves as the backdrop for a painful love story. Mike Cahillâ(TM)s confident direction and Brit Marlingâ(TM)s convincing lead performance will take you to sci-fi wonderland.
½ November 23, 2016
An unoriginal little drama about loss, guilt, atonement, etc., with a huge amount of clichés and using the interesting concept of an alternative Earth as a cheap metaphor for a "new chance." At least Marling and Mapother do a very great job despite the weak project they are in.
October 3, 2016
I expected this to be a sci-fi movie, but it has nothing to do with it. It's more a "film d'auteur à la française". The story is slow and not very interesting.
August 21, 2016
How The Fuck Are Critics Giving these movies Positive Reviews,
It didn't have one redeem to it, Dull Acting, Stupid Story, Awful Script, Lame Scenery and Crap load of fuck messages.
I... Hate... This... Movie!

Score: 1/10
August 6, 2016
Brit Marling does a good job acting, and one cannot help but to both feel and to be drawn to her strong yet lonely character. However the film lacks the satisfactory science on which it rests its plot on, and moves too slowly to effectively mix plot and romance.
½ July 15, 2016
I'll rate it slightly lower due to the amateurish camera work, but Another Earth is a nice low budget indie sci-fi gem that is ambitious and well acted. Brit Marling co-writes the movie and does well, and so does William Mapother. The themes of redemption and coping are explored well, and the movie cuts off right when it needs to, leaving everything ambiguous with a hundred different endings and theories. Its definitely more along the lines of Coherence (2013), another low budget sci fi that is ambitious with shitty camera work.
July 8, 2016
92 minutes from my life.... not worth even 1 minute, just came here to give 1 star to this "masterpiece"
½ June 30, 2016
Points to Mike Cahill for offering an original and thoughtful original film. It was kind of jarring, considering that it seems like a movie needs to be based on SOMETHING (Book, another movie, old TV show, video game...board game, nostalgic childhood candy, etc) and Another Earth reminded me of how much life a film can have when its untethered from the world we know. Cahill does a fine job subverting the film's high concept and focusing on a tragic human drama between two broken people, and uses the sci fi premise to prod at deep philosophical and emotional truths. It's not entirely successful, as the film feels a little bit too melodramatic and loses momentum by the time the third act hits (though the conclusion was satisfying), but it was so nice to see such earnest filmmaking with such naked emotion. Brit Marling is excellent, and props to Cahill for helping William Mapother escape from the shadow of "Creepy Ethan" from Season 2 of "Lost." Even though I wasn't 100% on board with this one, it did make me excited to see Mike Cahill's follow-up--"I Origins"--and everything else he does in the future.
½ June 14, 2016
Well done, very good!
½ May 24, 2016
not intense and maybe predictable but still worth watching.
½ May 20, 2016
Odd but good. Slightly unsatisfying ending.
May 15, 2016
A nice little indie that only nods towards some sci-fi conceptualization but actually is mainly about redemption, and it takes its sweet time getting to even that. It's not absolutely boring but certainly closely examines that possibility.
½ April 7, 2016
This isn't so much of a film review but a review on Brit Marling. An aspiring actress who saw the lack of opportunities in Hollywood (varied slasher films auditions which involved running away half naked from madmen with chainsaws, for instance) and took it upon herself to write her own screenplays and create her own personal art form, which won the recognition she deserved. This film is a credit to her and a credit to the film industry. A low budget 'sci-fi' - now i use the sci-fi genre tag loosely here as it's been pulled apart by some critics and I can see why, but it's more of a deep thinking drama. A compelling story that unfolds slowly exploring all the tragedies of life and the beauty within people with the screenplay revolving around character building. It won't be for everyone. But it's well worth a mention as these films tend to go under the radar along with people like Brit Marling - who should be acknowledged.
½ April 4, 2016
Another Earth is an Another Great Low-Sci-Fi Film.
½ January 25, 2016
It's a indie movie (I think) maybe that's why people/critics complain about effects of all sci-fi.. In overall, I think It's a solid performance by Brit Marling in a movie that's NOT PREDICTABLE.. Original, not for the hollywood fanboy!
½ January 3, 2016
Actually a very good and very original film and extremely well played by Brit Marling. If the part had been written and played by a well known actress then these ratings would have been hitting the 80% mark. Can't wait to see what's coming up next!!
November 18, 2015
Love it or hate it. I chose the latter.
Ambitious plot idea, but fails to deliver. I was never a fan of movies focusing on unlikely formed relationships over time. The evident lack of sci-fi ideas with an expected sci-fi plot, took off major points here.
October 27, 2015
Most underrated film I've seen in years. The film is not science fiction, but a tale of exploring the human heart.
September 16, 2015
Interesting premise, but far too moody for my liking... those final few seconds though, was exactly what I was waiting for the whole time.