Another Earth - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Another Earth Reviews

April 6, 2017
Shittiest movie Iv seen in my whole life worse than Tales of Tales. The entire movie is one really big climax but when you reach the end all of that excitement turns to Pure DISSAPOINTMENT. Storyline was interesting movie was not executed well. I Hate It.
March 25, 2017
Well acted and captivating, but different than I was expecting. It really needs a sequel. It made me like Brit Marling even more than I already do.
February 27, 2017
I am a superfan of nearly all of the kinds of scifi (with the only exception of catastrophic scifi), but I particularly like this kind of "soft" scifi movies, in which the premises are clearly typical of the genre, but the movie is not totally permeated by it. Given that, many who wrote a review here under said that Another Earth is too ambitious for what it portrais. I don't really see in which point it seems too ambitious, and then I totally disagree with them. It's a story that should make people reflect, and it does it, while enjoying a movie well written with some turns that doesn't seem plausible, but that are completely acceptable in the moment we accept that a parallel world can exist.
February 24, 2017
Pretty dull but a great ending scene!
February 23, 2017
This independent science fiction drama has a lot of originality going for itself; got an excellent script and good performance by the leads, keep you hooked on right till the end with its lingering suspense and a feeling of tragedy. For a low budget movie they had to make it work without special effects and the approach they took by focusing on the people and their emotions worked out well. Would say it's more a drama than a sci-fi.
February 2, 2017
A big Brit Marling fan here. Everything was just right.4 stars.
½ December 27, 2016
Takes you places way beyond the sci-fi trip some were expecting. If you are willing to overlook the camera work's flaws it is a profound movie that's slow burning but rewarding.
½ December 24, 2016
I don't know why the score on this movie is so low...It was a great little indie film..
½ December 17, 2016
This movie sucked right from the opening scene. They call the movie Another Earth and foreshadow main character going to it so often yet they don't even explore the concept of the mirror Earth.
½ December 9, 2016
This low-key indie sci-fi boasts of a perfect mix of pathos and mystery. The discovery of Earth Two serves as the backdrop for a painful love story. Mike Cahillâ(TM)s confident direction and Brit Marlingâ(TM)s convincing lead performance will take you to sci-fi wonderland.
½ November 23, 2016
An unoriginal little drama about loss, guilt, atonement, etc., with a huge amount of clichés and using the interesting concept of an alternative Earth as a cheap metaphor for a "new chance." At least Marling and Mapother do a very great job despite the weak project they are in.
October 3, 2016
I expected this to be a sci-fi movie, but it has nothing to do with it. It's more a "film d'auteur à la française". The story is slow and not very interesting.
August 21, 2016
How The Fuck Are Critics Giving these movies Positive Reviews,
It didn't have one redeem to it, Dull Acting, Stupid Story, Awful Script, Lame Scenery and Crap load of fuck messages.
I... Hate... This... Movie!

Score: 1/10
August 6, 2016
Brit Marling does a good job acting, and one cannot help but to both feel and to be drawn to her strong yet lonely character. However the film lacks the satisfactory science on which it rests its plot on, and moves too slowly to effectively mix plot and romance.
½ July 15, 2016
I'll rate it slightly lower due to the amateurish camera work, but Another Earth is a nice low budget indie sci-fi gem that is ambitious and well acted. Brit Marling co-writes the movie and does well, and so does William Mapother. The themes of redemption and coping are explored well, and the movie cuts off right when it needs to, leaving everything ambiguous with a hundred different endings and theories. Its definitely more along the lines of Coherence (2013), another low budget sci fi that is ambitious with shitty camera work.
July 8, 2016
92 minutes from my life.... not worth even 1 minute, just came here to give 1 star to this "masterpiece"
½ June 30, 2016
Points to Mike Cahill for offering an original and thoughtful original film. It was kind of jarring, considering that it seems like a movie needs to be based on SOMETHING (Book, another movie, old TV show, video game...board game, nostalgic childhood candy, etc) and Another Earth reminded me of how much life a film can have when its untethered from the world we know. Cahill does a fine job subverting the film's high concept and focusing on a tragic human drama between two broken people, and uses the sci fi premise to prod at deep philosophical and emotional truths. It's not entirely successful, as the film feels a little bit too melodramatic and loses momentum by the time the third act hits (though the conclusion was satisfying), but it was so nice to see such earnest filmmaking with such naked emotion. Brit Marling is excellent, and props to Cahill for helping William Mapother escape from the shadow of "Creepy Ethan" from Season 2 of "Lost." Even though I wasn't 100% on board with this one, it did make me excited to see Mike Cahill's follow-up--"I Origins"--and everything else he does in the future.
½ June 14, 2016
Well done, very good!
½ May 24, 2016
not intense and maybe predictable but still worth watching.
½ May 20, 2016
Odd but good. Slightly unsatisfying ending.