At Eternity's Gate Reviews

• 3d ago

Not at all my taste, but the acting was incredible. This should have won some academy awards.

• Apr 27, 2020

Beautiful, full of love and Dafoe 's a huge actor. But very long even if the lenght' s part of the cinematographical narrative of the psychological and social inner process of van gogh

• Apr 13, 2020

What can I say... In terms of cinematography, it is a gem. Very pretty to look at, enchanting. It is a biopic and the research for this movie has been done very well. A new level of artistry and creativity is shown in it. Willem Dafoe never fails to amuse and convince me with his talent. He might as well play the part of a peanut in a movie and I would probably buy it. Everyone seems like a little cloud over his head, but anyway they do their job really well. The relationships are well developed and the story arch is immensely well built. Now, is this movie a must-see?? NAH.

• Apr 09, 2020

I think this is a very original take on the life of Vincent Van Gogh and puts an emphasis on the viewer feeling the emotions that come from the paintbrush of the painter and the painter himself. The camera work and editing feels a bit disorientating at times and can give you a bit of a headache. This movie is supposed to make you feel like you're in the mind of Vincent and it succeeds at doing that. Willem Dafoe was just perfect in his portrayal of the brilliant yet troubled man of history.

• Mar 30, 2020

The cinematographic work is really beautiful, but the plot left something to be desired

• Mar 09, 2020

With the latest secrets of his life revealed rather recently, this film comes like a time capsule where we get to see and feel some events of his last years of life. The ledger of his drawings recently found is a treasure of time capsule. He was different. He was unique. He was very imperfect.

• Mar 08, 2020

Having seen Vincente Minelli's great film, Lust For Life, done on the same subject, this film pales in comparison, both in the color of the film itself, with none of the vibrant color of van Gogh's painting when you see them first hand, as I have, and in the very poor way that they show Vincent painting them. William Defoe's delivery of his lines is laconic and shows none of the intensity of Kirk Douglas' portrayal. Defoe might as well be reading the phone book! Vincent. like his paintings, was intense! And the entirely made up ending of how Vincent was shot was just ridiculous, as well. Not even a mediocre flick--like the color of the film--murky, something Vincent's paintings never were.

• Mar 03, 2020

Can the camera ever stop shaking?

Can the camera ever stop shaking?

• Feb 07, 2020

A formally decent movie based on a quite interestingly written script with powerful acting both in the main and side characters.

• Feb 05, 2020

I was always bothered by the concept of artists' work selling after their deaths (watch my novels get real popular in 50 years) and At Eternity's Gate knocks you over the head with it as customers buy Van Gogh's (Willem Defoe) work as it leans against his casket. Not to rush to the end, but it was the best part of the film. Unfortunately, it was a little slow and while I loved some of the themes summed up in the quote "life is for sowing, the harvest is not here," I can only recommend this film for the art lover. Even Oscar Isaac (one of my favorite actors) playing Paul Gauguin (one of my favorite artists) couldn't push it into the (70)s. It does try and clear up that whole ear cutting fiasco, which was fun.