Away We Go Reviews

• Jesse O Super Reviewer
    Jan 18, 2019

I don't really know why I'm even starting with this, but I just saw the new trailer for Jordan Peele's Us (he wrote and directed Get Out, one of the best horror movies I've ever seen) and, now, I'm unbelievably pumped and excited for that one. I haven't gone to movie theaters in many, many years, but that's a movie I really would consider going to the theaters for. Ah, in a perfect world. Anyway, on to this, shall we? So, yea, I've never been a big fan of kids and the idea that some people try to drill into your mind that the idea of what a great life is is settling down, getting married to your sweetheart, having kids and growing old together. I hate that concept of happiness. You make your own happiness I've thought, whether that involves partners and kids or it doesn't, then that's up to you. I also believe that human beings were not emotionally equipped to actually spend their entire lives with just one person. And I'm not saying that it can't be done, but I just think that, for most humans, having several partners throughout your life that you learn from helps you grow and mature as a human being. That's what I've always believed human relationships should REALLY be like. Regardless, that's not to say that it's not for me, at least the whole monogamy thing. I know that kids aren't gonna be my thing. I don't like kids, I've never wanted kids and, if I had one, I'd probably be a shitty dad. Not because I'm purposely shitty or negligent, just because I wouldn't know what to do. I suppose that's neither here nor there nor is it the reason that I'm writing this review. I just thought I'd give my two cents on this whole parenting and monogamy thing before moving on. I guess that, in a lot of ways, there's a lot that is familiar to someone that has seen more than five independent dramedies throughout the years. And I think that's why I'm feeling particularly conflicted about this movie. In many ways, it's kind of a lovely exploration of two thirtysomethings struggling with adjusting to the fact that their life, in about three months or so, is going to change forever with the birth of their daughter. So to help them adjust to this massive change, Burt and Verona go on this road trip to Phoenix, Madison (in Wisconsin) and Montreal. Verona's old boss and sister live in Phoenix. Burt has a cousin in Madison (and also a job interview there). And some college buddies of Burt and Verona's live in Montreal. So, in short, they're looking to live close to someone that they know as Burt's parents are moving to Belgium for two years a month prior to the birth of their grandchild. I guess that, in a lot of ways, the film is more about facing your fears head-on than anything else. Verona's parents died when she was 22 (it's never known how) and, in the years since their deaths, Verona has never really talked about them to anyone, not Burt and not even her sister. This, I feel, probably fuels Verona's uncertainty about becoming a mother for the first time. By looking outwardly, at people she knows, and wanting to move closer to them, I think she believes it's gonna be easier for her to raise this child, since she has someone she can count on. Perhaps not to raise her child, but just so that she doesn't have to do it all alone. Not that Burt isn't gonna help, naturally, but I imagine she's thinking about it in a way that, honestly, I could never really understand. Of course Burt goes through his own fears as, later on in the film, his brother's wife abandons him, leaving him with a young girl to raise and that sends Burt into a panic, believing that that might happen to them. So, honestly, I really do like this film's story. It's simple, yes, but it's definitely got compelling and intriguing characters. Yet, for some reason, there was never really anything spectacular about this movie, outside of Maya Rudolph's and John Krasinski's performances, which were great. I really do think that John and Maya felt like an actual couple because the characters were written as such and, of course, because there was great chemistry there between the two. But there's just nothing else about the movie that truly shines above its relatively unremarkable script. And I don't mean that it's a boring movie, because it's not boring in the slightest. I just mean unremarkable in the quite literal sense, there's nothing remarkable here. There's a lot of good here, yes, but nothing that makes this truly a must-see independent dramedy. Perhaps I was spoiled by Little Miss Sunshine. Not that I, of course, expected this to be that. They're different movies made by different people for, really, different audiences (even if both films fit within the same genre). The ending is definitely emotional and bittersweet, particularly for Verona as she finally faces her fears head-on, and it's definitely an earned ending. The 'sentimentality' doesn't feel forced or ham-fisted. Burt and Verona truly deserve this ending. I just think that the narrative travels a path many others have traveled without truly innovating or excelling at it. It's a good movie, don't get me wrong. Burt and Verona are strong characters and the lead actors are great together. It's just that everything else around them ISN'T great and that's where it 'falls apart'. I put this in quotation marks, because I don't want it to seem like this is a bad movie. I can't stress that enough. With that said, however, I bought this for $5 some years ago (actually bought another one along with this, A Serious Man I believe, for a combined $10) and I don't regret my purchase, but if you know me and you want me to lend it to you, then I gladly will. This isn't a movie that you spend money on, honestly. It's something that you watch, you enjoy, but it's not something that's gonna stick with you in the long-term. I'd recommend it in the case you know someone or if it's on cable TV. Good, but not outstanding.

• Nov 06, 2018

This film was almost good.

This film was almost good.

• Sep 04, 2018

no flirty talks in this love story.. Away We Go Away We Go is a character driven drama about a couple who are about to have a kid and are completely lost on how and what their future is going to be. The chemistry is heartwarming and pure magic where both the lead cast have invested sincerely and equally that shows great result. The range of the feature is its strength, from being humorous to intense drama, there is a sense of familiarity that smells home. It is surprisingly hilarious without any sketchy sequences and without any forcibly imputed humor, it is slick fun ride. Even though the structure is divided upon various sequences, the feature flows fluently whose credit undeniably goes to Mendes's masterful skills and experience. Each supporting cast or arguably guest cast gets enough range and room to leave their quirky impression on the viewers. It is short on technical aspects like camera work and background score, although the cinematography is mesmerizing along with fine editing. The performance is off the charts with Krasinski and Rudolph in lead portraying a sensible yet hilarious couple along with an amazing supporting cast like Janney, Daniels and Gyllenhaal. There are no barrs restraining the track, it flows boldly brimmed with plethora of emotions that it offers along the way in this soothing ride. There are no flirty talks in this love story, it is practical, it is ironic, it is quirky and it is layered. Mendes's execution is a genuine work of art and armed with such an adaptive script from Vida and Eggers. The evolved love track, few one liners, slick humor and stellar performance are the high points of the feature. Away We Go breathes a mature take on the simplistic episode of our life, and through its various side characters it speaks volume.

• Aug 20, 2018

A road trip is supposed to be a journey of discovery, but though this one travels far, it doesn't get anywhere. The stars spend a lot of time staring at the navel of the bloated belly of Maya Rudolph--an apt metaphor for the self-absorbed, uninteresting and thoroughly meh couple at the story's center. A stellar supporting cast is wasted in one-dimensional caricatures.

• Aug 12, 2018

Okay movie but not as good as it could have been. The casting here was way off. Sorry but John Krasinski sucks as an actor, at least in this movie. Yuck.

• Jan 03, 2018

A bit sombre, personal and odd. There were some good scenes with the stroller etc, but overall it felt too close to the downsides of life to be more enjoyable.

• Sep 16, 2017

i just watched it again. what a great movie for adults, filled with genuine emotion.

• Apr 01, 2017

Racist film where people who open up on a foreign culture (in this film, Asian culture) are ridiculed and presented as members of a cult. Disgusting

• Mar 14, 2017

Seems like every encounter was one more dysfunctional family unit and that grew tedious. The pregnant GF swears she will NEVER agree to marry the father of her child. What's this all about? I'd never want to watch this again.

• Jan 02, 2017

Among my to give favorite films. Resonates with me.

Among my to give favorite films. Resonates with me.