Der Baader Meinhof Komplex (The Baader Meinhof Complex) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Der Baader Meinhof Komplex (The Baader Meinhof Complex) Reviews

September 12, 2016
The Red Army Faction fights the government, and in doing so blows up things, kills cops, and kidnaps people to do so. This political drama has a lot of suspenseful set pieces but slows down when it comes to the characters. They aren't well developed or change, so its more a procedural thriller with lots of violence. Its also on the long side but I did't notice, so that has to count for something.
November 18, 2015
El origen, ascenso y motivacion de uno de los grupos guerrilleros mas peligrosos de los 70s. La tarea de como juzgarlos es delegada al espectador.
September 14, 2015
TY asshole flixter ya kept the rating but lost the review
½ June 29, 2015
A well made dramatic presentation of the development of the radical Baader-Meinhof gang during the 1970's. It was engaging because of its focus on the personality and "philosophy' of a limited number of characters. A sympathetic tolerance for the gang's progressive brutality throughout the film is created by the initial scenes of a savage attack by government sympathizers on of a crowd peacefully protesting the Shah of Iran's visit to Berlin. It would have been hard to focus on the characters and their motivations rather than their brutal actions had the film not been grounded in this context because the viewer would have been caught up or turned off by the drama of senseless violence.
March 22, 2015
This can be an intense and emotional movie if you get involved with the lives of the characters on screen.
½ January 30, 2015
?????? ? ???????? ? ??? ??????? ????? ??? ?? ?????????? ?? ?? ??? ???? ????? ????? ??? ??? ??? ???????? ???? ??? ?? ??? ??????? ?? ?? ????? ??? ?? ???? ?? ????? ?????? ??. ???? ???? ?? ??? ?? ??. ??????? ?? ?? ??? ?? ????? ????????. ???? ???? ????? ?? ??!
½ January 21, 2015
It's nice to catch a foreign movie that deals with subject matter that you had no direct knowledge about, and its presented in an objective way. In terrorism there is no good and bad guys. Regardless of the end, the use of violence should always be condemned.

But terrorism is not limited to small groups that use militant force against innocents. It also points to governments that use military force against other countries in a direct, or cowardly covert way.

The birth of the Red Army Faction in Germany back in the 60's coincides with a decade of turmoil, protest, rebellion and outrage against the big "democratic" nations of the world. At first peaceful protest is the way to show the disgust of the many against the atrocities that many times are just ignored by first world countries, because of their own interests.

This film captures this turmoil. It places you back in the late 60's and early 70's and shows the evolution of the Red Army Faction. And it's not always pretty. You might go from supportive to condemning the same group and yet, still understanding the degree of desperation their leaders and followers felt in a winless war against their own government.

It is summed up in part of Ulrike Meinhof May 1968 document that states "Protest is when I say I don't like this and that. Resistance is when I see to it that things that I don't like no longer occur. Protest is when I say I will no longer go along with it. Resistance is when I see to it that no one else goes along with it anymore either."
½ August 18, 2014
"The Baader Meinhof Complex" is a sometimes chilling and always gripping look at one of Germany's most conflicted periods of history.

It tells the story of the rise of historical far-left terrorist organization, the Red Army Faction (RAF). When a group of youths and activists are disenfranchised with the Western powers, spurred by world events such as the Vietnam War, the Isreali-Palestinian conflict and the rapid growth of the Soviet Union, they decide to send a message by setting a department store on fire. After serving a brief jail period, the youths, including Andreas Baader and his girlfriend Gudrun Ensslin, join forces with left-wing journalist Ulrike Meinhof and begin assaulting government figures and prominent capitalists, with the help of Palestinian extremists.

It's grizzly, and to it's immense credit, in never ever tries to either condemn or condone the RAF, merely presenting the facts as they happened and allowing the audience to form their own opinions - something Hollywood rarely manages.

Combining that with some outstanding performances from the cast that includes Moritz Bleibtreu, Martina Gedeck and Johanna Wokalek, and what you have is one of the best recent historical dramas.

A truly gripping film.
August 12, 2014
Very interesting movie
½ July 28, 2014
I was confused half the time but in awe the other half. This film is so comprehensive it's really commendable.
½ June 18, 2014
The story of the left wing German terrorist group RAF (Red Army Faction) seen through the eyes of its founders, Andreas Baader, Ulrike Meinhoff and Gudrun Ensslin. The film tells us of their first "revolutionary acts" in the late 1960s and their apprehension and incarceration and eventually of their suicides in the 1970s. Despite of their deaths their followers went on and the group didn't dissolve until the late 1990s.
It is a good dramatization of real events, a movie with a clear will to be accurate not only in the facts but in the whole atmosphere, the picture smells and tastes like the 1970s, the cars, the clothes, the furniture have that particular look. It is an unusual subject, I haven't come across films about the RAF and I find it quite interesting to see their radicalization and the support they had between the young Germans of the time. The movie is quite long and summarizes the main events in the group and the hunt by the chief of the Federal Police of the time, Horst Herold. You get to see the ideology of both parts from a quite neutral perspective; as a viewer I wasn't drawn to either side, I felt detached of these radical minds, I wouldn't say they were evil but I would definitely say that their right motivations got twisted along the way; I would add that in the long run their struggle achieved nothing truly remarkable.
June 9, 2014
Out of all the biopics I've seen, This film is one of the most action-packed, the most grittiest, and the most intriguing of all. This is a biopic film in which you will enjoy if you like action. The film was also like a history lesson on how Germany was doing during the Cold War, and the formation of one of the most dangerous terrorist organizations at the time, Der Rote Armee Fraktion). This is a well made film overall. Acting was outstanding, Plot was too interesting, action was greatly-coordinated (despite being brief), and the directing is exceptionally outstanding. So no wonder this was Germany's Submission for the Academy Awards. You'll enjoy this in a nutshell.
April 13, 2014
Uli Edel's Der Baader Meinhof Komplex is a dark, dramatic, and all around really good. It is a dramatic retelling of the rise and fall of The Red Army Faction in Germany following World War 2, and the film succeeds greatly in making you feel like you are watching the actual events unfold. All of the performances are spot on, and the atmosphere and setting are very well realized. The writing was a bit fast paced and overglazed, but I'm not sure how much of that is history-rooted or not. The ending felt underwhelming, but again it's history. Overall a great film on a dark period in Germany's history. 4/5
April 7, 2014
Exciting direction, great cast and fascinating look at terrorism - it's an epic shot like a thriller that offers no sentimentality
½ January 20, 2014
Una película que critica pero enaltece la figura del joven terrorista contra el sistema. Esta vez es una facción del ejército rojo, centrándonos en sus atentados, su caída, y el quiebre interno una vez debe enfrentar a la "justicia". Muy recomendable, representó internacionalmente a Alemania en una serie de festivales y premios.
½ January 1, 2014
Kicking off in a right pace however getting weary from the middle onward.
Convincing delivery from the ensemble cast, particularly those protagonists.
Fairly inspiring in the whole.
November 30, 2013
It certainly was a great history lesson. But also a good illustration of how sometimes you fight so long that you start fighting because you fought before and not because of your original ideas.
November 29, 2013
Unflinching and intense - worth the time.
½ November 26, 2013
The film was extremely educational for me since I had no idea about the RAF and how it was in Germany during the 1970s.