Band of Outsiders (Bande à part) Reviews

• Jun 07, 2020

Yes, it's iconic; yes, it's insouciant; yes, it's cool. Because you're into films, you get the dance scene and you dream that that's your night out - syncopatic cool in a cafe that's so de rigeur no one bats an eyelid, 'cos we're French and this is how we do, right? The running through the Louvre may be the biggest beneficiary of post-lockdown social spacing and visitor limiting - you might just be able to do that. The rest, well it's problematic. This isn't news, but Godard really doesn't respect his female characters - she takes a slap, doesn't know what the Louvre is despite living in Paris, obligingly falls for characters within seconds who treat her poorly, worries a lot but submits to a ludicrous plot because that's what the boys want to do, wonders whether the boys are watching her breasts move when she dances and ends up with Godard's hero at the end despite not having any chemistry with him at all. And they can't fire guns properly or drive well. Why is there a tiger in it?

• May 19, 2020

The brilliance of so many renowned scenes is not related to the rest of the movie (which is rather uneven in my opinion)

• Apr 21, 2020

Such a fun, witty take on a heist film from the French New Wave. Everything from the acting to the shots continues to build up the story and its characters.

• Nov 06, 2018

This film was great!

This film was great!

• Oct 16, 2018

Band of Outsiders is the story of a pair of men who plan to steal some money with the assistance of a young woman who is living with the target. The plan is rudimentary to say the least, so don’t get the impression that this is some kind of heist film. They do spend a decent amount of time talking about the crime, including when it needs to happen and how they will pull it off, but there are no complex steps that will be necessary. The movie is a bit slow-moving because it takes time to get to the actual day of the robbery, and it feels like the kind of crime that could be done on a whim. Yet for some reason it never felt like the movie was dragging and I was not bored by it. What made the time pass so easily is the fact that they used all this build-up to establish the characters and the relationships between them. We get a lot of time with Anna Karina and start to sympathize as she is manipulated by these men who want to use her to pull off this robbery. We also have plenty of time to learn the differences in personalities between Claude Brasseur and Sami Frey, and we start to question if either of them truly cares for Anna Karina. I quite liked how they handled all the relationship scenes and allowed us to deduce some of the underlying emotions without feeling the need to spell them out. It’s a subtle movie that has a number of scenes that feel like they could have been in a silent film. At times Band of Outsiders has a heightened almost surreal tone, which I loved. This was most evident in the scene where the three main characters get up and do an entire choreographed dance in the middle of a diner. It was so playful and fun that it made me smile the entire time. It didn’t tonally match everything else in the movie, but I did not care because I was enjoying the sequence so much. I do wonder if that scene shifted my opinion of the whole film, though, because it made the darker elements of the story feel harsh and out of place. There were definitely some aspects that I found entertaining in Band of Outsiders, even if it wasn’t a total success for me. It had just enough high points that I would like to watch it again knowing what to expect.

• Aug 09, 2017

"I didn't know if dream was becoming reality or, reality becoming a dream" perfectly represents the self-conscious philosophy of Les Nouvelles Vagues. Modern movies continue to take notes on Jean Luc Godard's work which revels in the art of cinema. Delightful and thought-provoking, "Bande a Part" executes the simple home-invasion movie with distinct style and freshness which still holds up to this day. Perhaps the most iconic scene occurs at the midpoint of the film in which the characters joyfully dance the "Madison". A scene which has strong resemblance to that of Quentin Tarantino's "Pulp Fiction". In fact, the writer-director famously named his production company "A Band Apart" as homage to the film. Immediately introducing the voice-over of the character Franz, the audience are made aware that they are watching a movie, epitomising the Auteur theory which began during Les Nouvelles Vagues. Like other Godard films, "Bande a Part" is a film which I will continue to recommend to anyone interested in movies. Simply put, it's one of the best films ever made.

• Jul 25, 2017

Band of Outsiders is a cool, funny and dark film about three listless youths committing a half-assed robbery. The line dance scene alone is worth the price of watching it on YouTube.

• Mar 24, 2017

Right off the bat Anna Karina. Wooh! What a cute little thang she is. I definitely enjoyed watching her wok her charm throughout the movie. This movie doesn't take itself seriously which is a breath of fresh air from what French cinema usually is. It's funny at times and it definitely has a charm about it. This movie takes a different approach to your usual heist movie. Godard definitely has his own style and it's very distinctive. Overall, this movie was fun to watch and was great to see a new twist on the heist genre.

• Jan 20, 2017

The film left the world with some cinematic heritage, Jean-Luc Godard is however never my thingy.

• Dec 27, 2016

Band of Outsiders is a compelling tale about love and crime that benefits from writer/director Jean-Luc Godard's mastery of filmmaking.