Batman: The Movie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Batman: The Movie Reviews

January 4, 2017
a classic batman the way he should be. very fun and campy.
½ January 1, 2017
Inspired silliness. Don't try comparing this to The Dark Knight. It's in a totally different class.
December 18, 2016
Entertaining and ridiculous. Campy, colorful, and funny. Not a great movie by any stretch, but come on- exploding sharks? Labels on everything? Robin's typing?
November 21, 2016
BLAZINGLY over the top to the hilt!
Holy Technicolor, Batman!

Wildly Entertaining all the way - energetic, a colorful kaleidoscopic feast for the eyes featuring the best villains of the live-action 60s TV Series, and a fine tuned, incredibly consistent cast and crew.

The movie amps up beyond the TV Series with some surprisingly elegant cinematography and camera work.
Comic book genius.

No Batman movie since this one has been able to rival the campy shenanigans so consistently as here, although they have certainly tried.

Some really hilarious tongue in cheek surprises sprinkled throughout the script keep things hopping, and just when you think things are going to turn static -

POW! WHAMO!!

Here comes the fun.
If only there were Oscar Awards for keeping a straight face - I'm thoroughly impressed on however they did it.

Enjoy this, and relish every high camp moment.
And don't forget the Shark Repellent.

5 out of 5 spins in the Batmobile
jamrcla
November 10, 2016
I dare you to find a more camp movie and if you do please don't let me know as I don't think I could handle it, The movie is just pure silliness as the opening scene Batman gets bitten by a shark that tries to rip his leg off but luckily Batman has his Shark replant spray..... And it only gets more camper with anti penguin gas pills, Also when the world's leaders get turned into dust then accidentally mixed up Batman has his dust separator machine to save the day, Terrible acting, Effects and plot but it's loyal to the TV show which came out 34 years before I was born so I'm only basing this as a film on its own having only seen a few 60's episodes so maybe to some it will be better but I can guarantee it's one Batman film your kids won't want to watch but hey at least there wasn't any dancing scenes.
October 14, 2016
Fun and stupid in all of the right areas. This film is worth a watch if your a fan of the 60s TV show.
½ October 8, 2016
Everything you would hear about this movie is true; and what a hilarious, self-consciously wacky and purposefully ham-fisted movie it is!
September 24, 2016
Dans son genre, un merveilleux classique nanar
September 23, 2016
The worst movie of the 60s hands down.
August 29, 2016
If you've never seen the original television series, just by watching this one, you'll have a good idea of what it was. Fun, cheesy, but God is this long. At way over two hours it starts to become a slog. Just cut a good half hour out of it and you've got a fun little laugh, otherwise it could be a bit too sluggish.
August 23, 2016
Outstanding performance by Adam West. But you can tell the fighting is obviously fake. But still a great movie!
August 19, 2016
Timeless classic that made me cave in and buy the complete series
½ August 8, 2016
The cheesiness may be too much for some, but Batman: The Movie is still a hilariously over-the-top parody of 1940's movie serials with enough enjoyable silliness to overcome the fact that it's essentially an extended episode of the show. Adam West's deliberately hammy performance is mostly fun to watch, and the film works best when it pokes fun at its own cheesiness. Overall, though certainly not without its cringeworthy moments, Batman: The Movie boasts enough inspired silliness to make up for these. 7/10.
August 8, 2016
Na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na ANNIVERSARY!!!

For real tho this film is awful but it's hilarious to the end of time, holy 50th birthday batman!!!

C+

55/100
½ August 6, 2016
In the wake of Batman movies - good and bad - being made today, the 60's series' spin-off Batman: The Movie happens to truly behave in a weird tongue-in-cheek type of way that may never be seen again in DC's future. Following the debut of the television series, our cast deliver some lines with great camp, while the premise is equally outrageous. Thus this movie appeals to the Batman fans who are looking for a laugh. After all, nothing in a comic book movie can be taken too seriously...
July 27, 2016
Sometimes it does stretch its loopy premise thin, but camp is plentiful in this wonderfully silly action caper. A stream of hilarious, comic savvy gags delivered by some all star and absolute pros, make it a genuine treat.
July 11, 2016
I honestly believe that this one of the better batman movies ever made, as I see it less as a cheesy camp movie, and more as a serious story. Having never watched the TV show, I can't say how I think of it in comparison to that, but I can say that Adam West is a great batman, this robin is probably the best one in the whole of live action batmans, and all 4 villains are very entertaining. While it may look unbearably campy, once you watch it you tend to ignore the costume, and the constant messages about safety. A wonderful time capsule of what superhero movies used to be.
July 9, 2016
Many of the technologies and gags are completely obsolete, gaping plot holes, and frankly, hard to watch!
July 8, 2016
Batman: The Movie was basically what kick started the entire "Batman" film franchise, and it started pretty well. Now obviously, it's nothing too great, and the film does not deserve any awards or anything close to that, it's just a really, really fun and campy film from the 60's.

Based on the extremely popular television series from the 60's, this film centers around Batman and Robin trying to succeed in stopping a plan created by a large team of villains to steal and corrupt a invention that can possibly destroy the world.

Now if you are a fan of the original "Batman" television series from the 60's like me, then you will definitely enjoy this very harmless, short, campy, and overall, fun film.

Honestly, I really liked how this film turned out to be, and I really liked how it tried to be something very different that has not really been tried before, at least in a worldwide release for a film, since the TV show is intensely similar to this film. Overall, I enjoyed it, and I consider it, a good start.