Beautiful Girls - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Beautiful Girls Reviews

February 25, 2017
A witty script, charming performances, and sufficient direction. It's a perfect encapsulation of the best of Miramax's mid-1990s catalog.
November 24, 2016
Nice and simple film. On Blu-ray.
½ May 27, 2016
Well acted flick that proves the old motto from Thomas Wolf, "You can't go home again." And evidently that also means you can't stay in high school after you graduate, no matter whether you want to or not. Natalie Portman shines.
April 22, 2016
I was actually dreading to watch this movie since most similar genre movies end up to be melodramatic, preachy and finally sappy. My expectation started to turn out true with an irritating opening song through the credits and character introductions, but like the movie - I couldn't get the song out of my head now. Be it Michael Rapaport's unending bickering and whining, suave looks of Uma Thurman and then a masterstroke in a mature than her age teenager role of Natalie Portman. Adding her performance with 'Leon - The Professional', Natalie Portman is yesteryear's Chloe Mortez - but that is being generous for Chloe. Every serious, melodramatic moment has a fresh twist to make it entertaining, every character superbly defined and stay true to their character till the end. It was all in all an excellent ensemble performance from all involved appraising an equally well written script.

Willie (Timothy Hutton) is at a crossroads with his career going nowhere as a musician and his relationship stuck due to his commitment phobia. He decides to comeback to his hometown to attend his high school reunion while catching up on his old friends Tommy (Matt Dillon), Mo (Noah Emmerich) and Paul (Michael Rapaport) each going through different phases in their life and relationships. When Willie thinks nothing could go any worse, he falls for a 13 year old Marty (Natalie Portman)

There is a wicked sense of humor here commonly not associated with movies of that era. While the director treasures and elevates some key moments, also tries to keep it a little lighter and borderline quirky. What this movie required was not great performances but spontaneous ones and gets plenty of them from the able cast, especially little Natalie Portman. The background score could have been better except for the irritatingly catchy opening song which is used extensively throughout the movie. There is a little lull somewhere before the last quarter part of the movie, but picks up quite well leading to a predictable yet well executed finish.

A rare male perspective romantic comedy with a superb spontaneous ensemble performance
½ March 27, 2016
This is a fucked up movie, I wouldn't watch it unless you are a child molester, or you are from North Dakota, because they are both messed up.
½ March 18, 2016
Watchable but not my type of film and didn't really hold my attention at all.
February 5, 2016
I really like this movie. The scene between Timothy Hutton and Natalie Portman, while she's ice skating, is great. Great actors, fantastic story.
½ February 3, 2016
A very solid screenplay thriving on well grounded themes and a strong cast makes Beautiful Girls an interesting and rewarding viewing.
January 26, 2016
Part two of my accidental early Natalie Portman double feature. Her parts of the movie are terrific. The rest is pretty standard high school reunion life crisis fare.
October 18, 2015
Natalie Portman's first major role called for her to awkwardly try to seduce Jean Reno; a mere two years later, she brought an inestimable spark to Ted Demme's Beautiful Girls by playing a self-proclaimed "old soul" who's nevertheless far too young to catch the eye of Timothy Hutton. Considering that Girls' cast also included such famous names as Uma Thurman, Mira Sorvino, and Matt Dillon, the raves that 15-year-old Portman received for her work as the precocious (and, it must be said, utterly adorable) Marty were even more impressive. Not a lot goes on in this look at the commitment-shy shufflings of thirtysomething men in northern New England, and Beautiful Girls didn't attract much attention at the box office, but there's no arguing with raves from critics like Felix Vasquez Jr. of Cinema Crazed, who wrote, "Portman steals all the scenes with Timothy Hutton and lights up the movie in each and every one of her scenes with her beauty, charm and utter exuberance."
August 28, 2015
I believe every answer to life is in this movie.
July 27, 2015
Yes, in 2015, I'm giving a 1996 movie a 5 star review. Great performance by Portman, and just a great movie overall.
July 6, 2015
Not good, weird, boring, not impressed
½ April 3, 2015
It's like a movie version of Friends, but with more realism...
March 2, 2015
Though it treads slightly familiar ground, 'Beautiful Girls" works well because of smart, humorous dialogue, a killer soundtrack, and a stellar ensemble-especially Natalie Portman in a scene-stealing, crackwhip performance as Marty.
January 8, 2015
I can't be your Pooh

A group of middle aged buddies in small town upstate New York haven't done much with their life since graduating high school. They still hang out at the local bar, hook up with the local ladies, and fail to settle down or understand why they can't. As their high school reunion approaches, several of the fellas decide it's time to make something of themselves.

"He's into male contraceptives, which is good for a change."

Ted Demme, director of Blow, Life, The Ref, Who's the Man, Monument Ave, and episodes of the television series Yo! MTV Raps, delivers Beautiful Girls. The storyline for this picture is perfectly done and I loved all the characters, the script, the interaction between characters, and the acting. I thought it all fit together perfectly. The cast is awesome in this film and contains Uma Thurman, Natalie Portman, Matt Dillon, Rosie O'Donnell, Timothy Hutton, Lauren Holly, Michael Rapaport, Pruitt Taylor Vince, and Mira Sorvino.

"You've been eating retard sandwiches again."

I grabbed this off Netflix because it stars my all time favorite actress, Natalie Portman. I had also heard very positive things about this picture from a friend. I honestly couldn't believe how much I was compelled by this film. There was some great lines and fantastic character development in this film. I would honestly consider buying this.

"They're all sisters."

Grade: A
December 26, 2014
12/26/2014: An excellent cast and a good story about buddies getting together for their high school reunion. It may not be spectacular in any way, but I love it.
October 5, 2014
Quiet, understated and mature.