Beauty and the Beast - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Beauty and the Beast Reviews

June 25, 2017
Favorite Disney Movie
½ June 22, 2017
This animated classic has great acting, fantastic story, and unbelievable music!
June 10, 2017
A flawless masterpiece of animation that is up there as one of Disney's greatest works of art that has ever been created.
June 9, 2017
One of my favorite movies!
June 5, 2017
Nice classic tale to enjoy with the family
½ May 20, 2017
Truly one of the greatest animated films ever put on the big screen. This film is extremely emotional, romantic, and magical. The incredible characters are so lovely to be around. Has a FEW all time great musical numbers that will stick with you forever. A message that will forever be important and truly a tale as old as time!
May 1, 2017
Konecne som si to pozrel :)
April 25, 2017
Beauty and the Beast is directed by Gary Trousdale and Kirk Wise, and it stars Paige O'Hara and Robby Benson in an animated film about a young woman that stands out from the town from being smart and literary, and is imprisoned in the Beast's (Robby Bendon) castle because Belle (Paige O'Hara) replaced his father as prisoner there for the rest of her life. For the last film in the Canada trip, people made their last majority rule to pick this movie, despite some people not wanting to see it because they already saw the remake that was out. For me however, it didn't matter as in the end, this is way better than the live-action remake. The voice acting is great in this, and in terms of comparisons, the singing in this sounds way better and fun than the remake. The animation is still really good that has a lot of detail here, and the computer effects in this are used sparingly when needed, and it looks cool that fits with the 2D animation. Belle is a really cool character that wants adventure anywhere as she thinks she doesn't fit in the city that she's in, and the Beast is way more likable than the live-action remake, while still having his angrier moments throughout the film. Gaston is a great villain to have, and the songs by Alan Menken and Howard Ashman are extremely catchy to listen to that it's one of the rare films that I know that has three songs in there that were nominated for an Oscar, with Beauty and the Beast winning the Original Song for it. The chemistry between Belle and the Beast is very genuine that them being in the castle for a long time changes both of them, which is always quite a development to see, and that it doesn't really quite tell about how long was Belle in the castle, which is clever as in typical Disney format, it always take about 3 days until there's a romance between the main characters. It has a more flow going on than the live-action remake which felt a bit too long, and there was more character development on the household staff here than the remake. Beauty and the Beast is a flawless animated film that I didn't realize that this one had more to offer than the remake did, which made me appreciate this more.
½ April 23, 2017
Disney animators play with light and shadow in a way that I wouldn't imagine animation allowed for, it feels like these cartoons are being filmed. An impressive example is when Belle asks Beast to step into the light, how he moves from shadow and the illumination slowly pours over his fur. Walking Belle down the hallway holding Lumiere, the light traveling across carvings in the wall. Belle throwing herself on the bed, the moonlight pouring the window pattern over the bed. Gaston's shadow against his chair by the firelight - do we need to see it? Yes, it adds the dimension of his character that his need to have Belle will turn him into a beast, which is more than a practical effect. So much thought and detail goes into each frame.

The battle of the furniture versus the villagers is a priceless moment of hilarity, a breath a fresh air we all need before entering the darker, dramatic, love-torn battle of Gastón versus Beast.
½ April 16, 2017
This is a story of a beast that wants to be human, but needs to learn to love someone to the point of sacrificing he's ambitions and a girl who wants to live adventures, but really needs someone who sees her humanity.
April 16, 2017
Great animation, memorable songs, wonderful storytelling. Funny and moving, it's the complete Disney package.
April 12, 2017
In no way can I feign impartiality about Disney's 1991 animated gem, Beauty and the Beast. I will not try. This movie holds too strong a grip on the nostalgic sensitivities of this particular 90's kid. However, it has been at least a decade since I last watched it, and there were a few things this go around worth noting from my new perspective. Overall, this movie impresses even after all these years.

Within the first ten minutes, I was worried that the film didn't warrant my fond memories. The opening song is repetitive and goofy, and Belle's voice (Paige O'Hara) is somewhat more grading, whiny, and shrill than I recall. The voice of Gaston (Richard White) is also a disappointment; unbelievable and over-played in its cockiness, but the guy can break a leather belt with only his neck muscles, I would never say it to his face.

As the film quickly carried on, I was reminded why this one is so widely considered a fan-favorite and a modern classic. The Disney animators create a rich and vibrant world, hand-drawn and vast in its scope. The stained glass prologue brightly sets up the story, transitioning beautifully into the skillful hand-drawn animation that Disney was known for in these days, highlighted by Beast's castle which feels enormous, dark, hollow, and genuinely overwhelming. This film also features some of the earliest integrations of computer animation with hand-drawn images, the chandelier during the musical number "Be Our Guest" really pops.

The music, excepting the opening melody, gives this movie its staying power with good reason. Everyone knows the title track, and Gaston's song was a pleasant surprise that I had nearly forgotten. In between the songs though, Lumiere (Jerry Orbach) and Cogsworth (David Ogden Stiers) spawn some laughs with expert voice-acting, and Maurice (Rex Everhart) genuinely sparks a mix of emotions no matter your age. Wholly absent from my recollection and shocking in his introduction was the character Monsieur D'Arque (Tony Jay), the creepy warden of the asylum. Most importantly, Beast is still professedly terrifying. Robby Benson's growling delivery of lines such as "IT'S FORBIDDEN" induces chills to this day; watch out.

Any bibliophile deserves a look at Beast's library, one of the most iconic in all of fiction. All avid readers dream a scenario where they too are gifted such an exquisite, prose-filled space. Fans of Disney animation will also catch a humorous nod to The Little Mermaid in the final act. As a child, the only lesson I remember learning was not to judge a book by its cover, but I noticed a few other lessons in my old age. Example: when someone is physically repulsive, but has a quality or two that you really desire (such as a castle and a waiting staff), don't worry, you can always transform them into a handsome, refined prince. Maybe we'll just hope the kids don't carry these less obvious lessons with them.

Do yourself a favor and give this one an updated viewing. It holds up. And remember, when you don't know which direction to go, always listen to the horse.

Favorite Line: "Where have you taken us Philippe!?"

Rating: 4 out of 5

Beauty and the Beast is now available on Blu-ray, DVD, and digital release.

P.D. Penley
½ April 7, 2017
One of the best if not THE best 2D animated films ever made.
April 4, 2017
Ahh yes ,what can I say about Disney's Beauty & The Beast? It has a fantastic story ,loveable characters, awesome animation and one of the BEST endings of all time. This is one of the films that everyone should watch.
April 2, 2017
Not just one of the absolute best Disney movies, but also one of the greatest movies ever made period. Perfect, a pure paragon! (First viewing - Early 1992 in theaters)
½ April 1, 2017
Wasn't always my favorite Disney movie, but it is a magical story with stunning 3-D imagery with likable Disney characters.
March 30, 2017
This is my favorite Disney movie of all time, i adore the animation and the music and the characters, i watch it constantly
March 27, 2017
Featuring songs and characters that are as memorable as they are iconic, "Beauty and the Beast" is a modern classic and truly one of Disney's best.
March 26, 2017
Enchanting, romantic and entertaining, Beauty And The Beast is a vibrantly animated Disney creation that definitely brings happy-feeling tears and is considered one of the greatest of Disney's animated accomplishments.