Beauty and the Beast - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Beauty and the Beast Reviews

January 12, 2017
Classic animated film that represents the peak of the Disney Renaissance of the 90's while also being one of the finest films the studio has ever produced. The vocal cast is superb across the board, with the roles played by talented theater & Broadway actors, thus they can speak & sing their roles (something Disney has wisely returned to since "Frozen"). Behind the camera, director Gary Trousdale and the film team craft a beauty adaptation of the classic fairy tale, with nice hints to the original story, from the rose to the magical castle, but with some nice modern updates. Most significant is the character of Belle, who is an intelligent & strong-willed young woman and also a bit of a geek (Beast's first romantic gesture to her is giving her a library full of books). She's no shrinking violet and at one point, it's her galloping on horseback to save the Beast, making her the prototype for modern Disney princesses/heroines. Gaston is another wonderful subversive move by the film, as in any other Disney film, he would be the prince and is never outwardly identified as the villain (the whole town loves him after all). Of course, the music is second to none, with brilliant work by Alan Menken & the late, great Howard Ashman, who make each song enjoyable but vital to the story (one lyric in the first song, 'Belle', actually foreshadows the plot of the entire film). Overall, still one of Disney's finest films ever made, which by default makes it one of the best films ever.
½ December 31, 2016
A truly beautiful must-see musical
½ December 30, 2016
Bullshit. A hot chick and an ug only get together because he becomes a prince. How typical. Skank.
December 26, 2016
10 out of 10:

I loved this film as a kid and when I saw the re release, I was still amazed!
December 25, 2016
I consider this film to be the best animated musical of all time. It falls just ahead of The Lion King, The Little Mermaid, Frozen and Cinderella, just to name a few. It's breathtaking in it's beauty and magically captures all who watch it. It's just amazing!
December 21, 2016
The narrative is basically the best love story ever told, the animation is top-notch, the characters are really memorable and well-developed, and the songs are some of Disney's absolute greatest. A perfect film if there ever was one.
December 12, 2016
I didn't know of the story and watched the movie in re-edited 3D, it was amazing, be it the plot, the storytelling, the dialogues, the songs or the 3D visual treat, everything was perfect in this musical treat, it's a perfect movie for both kids and adults.
½ December 4, 2016
A perfect bulls-eye for Disney
November 29, 2016
It's sexist and demands that society stereotype both genders, apparently to bring back memories of the age of scientific eugenics, but it's quite entertaining.
November 27, 2016
One of my absolute favorites. 5 Stars! Even at the age of 40, I still enjoy this like a little kid. So good.
November 23, 2016
A+ 5/5 stars a disney classic that hold's up very well 25 years later
November 15, 2016
Best Disney movie ever!
November 14, 2016
The movie is a bit of a knock off compared to Jean Cocteau's surrealist masterpiece, which this film doesn't measure up with. But nonetheless, it's the best overall animated musical ever
October 31, 2016
One of Disney's absolute best. Nothing more needs to be said.
½ October 24, 2016
I had never seen this before last night. This is a near-perfect animated film.
October 8, 2016
My go-to tearjerker movie made for kids. With highly memorable and catchy songs made by a lot of Broadway-ish talent involved, and with a timeless storyline Americanized by the finest at Disney (On par or even better I think to the original French version), it's a classic that holds up well to several viewings.
½ October 8, 2016
Disney's best Princess film (maybe best non-golden era film objectively). Incredible music, amazing animation (particularly on Beast and Gaston), a great story, and characters with surprising depth by Disney standards. There's not much not to like.
October 5, 2016
Everything from the animation, to the characters, to the songs. It's all just priceless! My favorite animated motion picture of all time! I mean, damn! That wolf attack scene always has me tearing up, thinking that something tragic is going to happen! And the artwork, the interiors, really spooky, but very powerful! I don't know what else to say about it! Go check it out, now!
September 27, 2016
Especially after watching the 25th anniversary restored version, it might just possibly be Disney's best two-dimensional (not including the rare inserted 3D parts) movie ever, aside from maybe Snow White. It's theme and feel are what tend to really sell it, along with the insanely clever storyline and not to mention the good stage-performance-type musical numbers. It is indeed a sheer classic when it comes to the more "pre-modern" age of Disney animated films. Not to mention a childhood classic as well. None could really compare to this one.
½ September 25, 2016
Still the best Disney cartoon ever, but once you've been spoiled by Cocteau, you realize this film was done by rank amateurs in comparison.