Bel Canto Reviews

• Jun 10, 2019

Bel Canto has an interesting story. The performances here are well done but the movie isn’t very deep with no true message. Characters aren’t flushed out very well and while it starts off decent it becomes boring and starts to drag. And by the end it gets a little far-fetched and unbelievableinteresting ideas but the final product just doesn’t deliver.

• May 19, 2019

Besides the lousy book it is decidedly racist. The Anglos and their culture must come out on top of the Hispanic always in these racist movies.

• Apr 29, 2019

Would a film be like an opera that would be like a telenovela? Practically an own goal. (Mauro Lanari)

• Mar 21, 2019

Bel Canto is a well-intentioned thriller that tries to be political and profound but just doesn't spark or work. In what I think is an unnamed South American country, though I may have drifted off when it was briefly mentioned as it was my 5th film of the flight, rebel forces against a local militant government has taken hostages in the Vice President's residence, including the Japanese investor (Ken Watanabe) he was entertaining who happens to be an opera fan; and the famous opera singer, played by Julianne Moore, who was shipped in at great expense to impress him. Directed and co-written by Paul Weitz, who is better known for lighter and gentler films such as About A Boy and In Good Company, the film soon falls into schmaltzy territory as the situation drags on and a stalemate between the government and the rebels means that we have plenty of screen time for the hostages and the hostage takers to bond over chess, music and love across the divide. Terribly silly and not very believable, I was pretty much unmoved as the film rambles on until a final violent resolution that strives for poignancy but falls face first into sentimentality, despite the best efforts from a cast which also includes an unrecognisable Christopher Lambert!

• Feb 23, 2019

Good movie but the plots makes us a little bit confuse about the storylines. But overall good. I like it. Julianne Moore always great

• Nov 26, 2018

Could have put more passion into it ...

Could have put more passion into it ...

• Oct 21, 2018

It was an exceptionally Oscar worthy movie. Taking through different emotions and giving a big shock at the end. Loved it

• Oct 04, 2018

Very unrealistic setting. I felt the plot was weak. The dialogues are uninspired most of the time.I had great expectations being a Julianne Moore movie.

• Sep 26, 2018

Wow, what a whiff. In no way does this movie capture any of the magic or beauty of Ann Patchett’s novel. Such potential wasted.

• Sep 23, 2018

A passionate, beautiful and heartbreaking film. The two parallel love stories build as the movie progresses. Romance at its best.