Beowulf - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Beowulf Reviews

October 22, 2016
A wonderful film that tells the tale of Beowulf in a spectacular way.
½ October 15, 2016
great animation but storyline lacks attention
½ September 7, 2016
Surprisingly engaging and the CG animation allows for some cinematic camera movement.
August 1, 2016
Beowulf is a very good looking movie. Especially, given the fact that it is 100% CGI'd. I believe the movie falls short when the story doesn't maintain its accuracy to the original story.
June 13, 2016
81% The film takes some getting used to, but after getting past the first few boring minutes, Beowulf is pure cinematic entertainment that features a stellar cast, stunning visuals and animation, and epic action.
½ June 3, 2016
Good film a little different than I thought, Good use of CGI, I can't comment on the 3D as I watched the 2D version but I bet it would of been pretty good, The action and story were pretty good, Worth a watch.
½ May 8, 2016
After the trainwreck that was The Polar Express, you would think Zemeckis had learned his lesson but alas, he had not. Beowulf is more of the same for the most part, lifeless and jerky in animation and utterly charmless as a film that has the gall to animate over the actual faces of its exceptionally talented cast. For some odd reason the critics liked this go around but the audiences weren't fooled and clearly they were right, as Beowulf has faded almost entirely from the public eye ever since it was released. This movie is such an incredible abortion I'm surprised the conservatives didn't try and ban it entirely.
½ May 4, 2016
I've always been a fan of Zemeckis, and Gaiman did such a great job of translating the feel of Beowulf to the big screen. the voice acting was also superb, along with the visuals. overall, this was a breath-taking look at a literary classic, even if some of the character animation is lacking.
½ May 3, 2016
Beowulf offers highly entertaining thrills and, even if it doesn't follow its source material to a tee, nevertheless keeps within its epic spirit.

V: 64%
April 13, 2016
Beowulf is a standout movie thanks to its wondrous special effects that create a virtual world with the motion captured actors that inhabit it. As a technical achievement, the film is nothing short of superb, a benchmark in the history of special effects that sets a new standard for this type of computer generated effects. Underneath the awe-inspiring veneer is a shallow film devoid of emotion, relying on its look and unquestionably exciting action sequences to further the story. Sadly, there is nothing between the action to capture your attention or emotionally invest you in the picture, as was the case with Beowulf & Grendel.
½ March 20, 2016
Extremely entertaining, violent, intense, bloody & gory.
½ February 14, 2016
L'unica vera pecca di questa produzione che stata girata per essere vista in 3D (con gli appositi occhialini), infatti ci sono un sacco di scene realizzate ad hoc per far apparire in faccia allo spettatore gli oggetti pi disparati. La versione normale certamente piacevole, ma si capisce chiaramente che stata menomata di qualche cosa.

A parte questo, la realizzazione in 3D degli attori ben riuscita ed alcune scene sono davvero verosimili, ma anche vero che ce ne sono anche alcune un po' troppo in stile videogioco.

Zemeckis ci racconta la saga di Beowulf in maniera molto coinvolgente e le 2 orette di film trascorrono via lisce.
½ February 13, 2016
This is not Beowulf.
January 14, 2016
Does this film want to be the new 300? You'd think so, judging by the amount of times Ray Winstone bellows "I..Am..Beowulf!" into everyone's face, secretly hoping we'll all adopt it as this season's catchphrase.

No, thankfully Beowulf is much better than the crock of shit that is 300, although that really isn't saying much. For a start, the action is not confined to rocky paths; the conflict not restricted to mass nipple slashing. We get vast landscapes of earth and water, battles with sea monsters and land dragons, all much more visually impressive than 300.

Yes, it all looks very nice, but about five minutes into the movie I sensed that this was made for a 3D experience and little else. I saw this on an ordinary Vue screen, but I felt as if I wasn't getting the full picture. My eyes were being raped, with all sorts of faces and objects being thrown towards me every 7 seconds. This film was made for 3D viewing, period. See it that way and don't make the same mistake as me.

Unlike 300, Beowulf doesn't have totally uninteresting characters at its centre. Granted, I could care less about the romantic subplot between Beowulf and the Queen, but the tale benefited from having a flawed hero at its centre. He was big, strong, and fought in the nude, but damn, did he make some dickhead decisions, and boy, did they bite him in the ass.

I don't want to give this film more analysis than its worth because it's plainly obvious that the sole purpose was to create a wankathon of eye-assaulting 3D visuals that never let up at any point. Angelina Jolie is naked, awesome, although the seediness doesn't stop there. Thinking the target audience was young children, imagine my surprise reaction to the opening ten minutes of debauchery, cussing, alcoholism and talk of dicking "virgins" Nice.

Overall, if you're really hard pressed to see this, I'd tell you to go 3D or nothing. Even then, there's much better films out at the moment and with all the visual finesse this picture exhumes, it still fails to stand out.
½ January 10, 2016
I loved the Beowulf story as a child but to be honest approached this with some trepidation. Astonished to say I really, really enjoyed it...even with Anthony Hopkins digital butt on display. It's completely bonkers but so much fun. Real genuine fantasy action, still a bit astonished by just how much I enjoyed it.
½ December 31, 2015
This is not a film that has aged well at all. The movie was done entirely in computer animation. CGI is fine and can add a lot to films that need it, but it requires that the film take on a style of its own. Here the process seeks to imitate real life, and for what reason I'm not entirely sure. In the right light, it almost works and is almost believeable, but these scenes are few and far between, instead you get scenes that look like they came out of Playstation 2 cutscene.

I'm not usually hard on cinematography or animation style but this movie looks downright bad to a point where it has a debilitating effect on the rest of the movie. The story is nothing really worth writing home about, it's not great but it's not terrible either. There's a nice climatic battle, that somewhat redeems the terrible animation but it's too little too late.
December 20, 2015
pure entertainment. the best movie of 2007.
½ December 12, 2015
A beautifully animated and thrilling adventure that brings the ancient tale to life with ferocity and intelligence.
November 21, 2015
Fine entertainment for those who love blood and guts.
November 11, 2015
Unfortunately, the CG characters were not quite realistic enough, and looked like zombies. I spent too much time noticing how creepy they all looked. But even if they characters were human, the movie was too predictable and uninteresting.