Beowulf - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Beowulf Reviews

½ January 2, 2018
intriguing in the beginning, loses its luster as the story gets more and more off the wall, and as you realize you're not watching live action. It was not obvious at first. But eventually it's clear. and there is no reason for it. The fight scene ending was completely ridiculous. Movies that do this need to stick to source material, or else not do it at all. The source material is the only reason anyone saw this. And it deserves to be followed.
½ November 8, 2017
A decent adaptation of the ancient English poem, though at times, one or two scenes are so ridiculous, they're hilarious to watch!
October 29, 2017
i think beowulf looks like a amazing movie but its not a kids movie because it has lots of sexual innuendo and is very vilonte beowulf rips a dragons heart out and then crushes it in his hands but it still looks like a good movie for the action and plot
½ October 16, 2017
I had to read this in class and it was bad so im assuming the movie is bad as well
October 14, 2017
Take a trip down the uncanny valley with very few impressive moments to retell the brash tale of Beowulf. Worth a watch but more so just to see how close technology is from fooling it's audiences.
½ June 16, 2017
Can't stand how under appreciated this adult animation is. The surreal animation creates a off sense to the world which supports the themes of greed and violence. And the misters would not have looked half as good in a live action.
½ May 11, 2017
Not my type of movies at all... somehow I enjoyed it immensely. The story lacks substance and the plot is poorly developed but the visual beauty (and by that I mean the special effects and cinematography) makes up for everything.
January 22, 2017
Should be a good'n -the cast is promising and its a fantastic tale, direction possibly a bit dodge for this kinda movie but will jus' have to wait'n see...
December 31, 2016
Decent movie, great leap in graphics
December 23, 2016
OMFGOMFGOMFG THIS MOVIE IS GONNA BE AMAZING I HAVE TO SEE IT I CANT WAIT OMFG ITS GONNA BE SO GOOOOOOOOOOD! this... i... sweaaaaar...

xD xD xD xD xD
December 3, 2016
Beowulf is an ass kicking flick and a fantastic experience in all of its glory!

The movie was ahead of its time and nothing has unleashed its epicness till yet!

Movie's direction, story, the screenplay, graphics, animation and its soundtracks will leave you pumped up!!!

It's an hell raising flick and a jaw dropping stunt by Robert Zemeckis!
November 20, 2016
Beowulf boasts great action, beautiful motion-capture computer-animation, stellar performances from its cast including a visually stunning Angelina Jolie in the role of Grendel's Mother resulting in another entertaining film from the mind of director Robert Zemeckis who improves over his last motion-capture CGI directorial effort, The Polar Express. However, note that some people will be surprised by how bloody and gory this film is in spite of earning a PG-13 rating in the US and a 12A rating in Britain. Did Zemeckis bribe the MPAA or were they watching the film when they were drunk and so, out of drunkenness, they accidentally submitted PG-13 instead of R and were too lazy to re-rate it on appeal? Whatever. A good motion-capture CGI movie. Not for little kids.
October 22, 2016
A wonderful film that tells the tale of Beowulf in a spectacular way.
½ October 15, 2016
great animation but storyline lacks attention
½ September 7, 2016
Surprisingly engaging and the CG animation allows for some cinematic camera movement.
August 1, 2016
Beowulf is a very good looking movie. Especially, given the fact that it is 100% CGI'd. I believe the movie falls short when the story doesn't maintain its accuracy to the original story.
June 13, 2016
81% The film takes some getting used to, but after getting past the first few boring minutes, Beowulf is pure cinematic entertainment that features a stellar cast, stunning visuals and animation, and epic action.
jamrcla
½ June 3, 2016
Good film a little different than I thought, Good use of CGI, I can't comment on the 3D as I watched the 2D version but I bet it would of been pretty good, The action and story were pretty good, Worth a watch.
½ May 8, 2016
After the trainwreck that was The Polar Express, you would think Zemeckis had learned his lesson but alas, he had not. Beowulf is more of the same for the most part, lifeless and jerky in animation and utterly charmless as a film that has the gall to animate over the actual faces of its exceptionally talented cast. For some odd reason the critics liked this go around but the audiences weren't fooled and clearly they were right, as Beowulf has faded almost entirely from the public eye ever since it was released. This movie is such an incredible abortion I'm surprised the conservatives didn't try and ban it entirely.
½ May 4, 2016
I've always been a fan of Zemeckis, and Gaiman did such a great job of translating the feel of Beowulf to the big screen. the voice acting was also superb, along with the visuals. overall, this was a breath-taking look at a literary classic, even if some of the character animation is lacking.