Biutiful - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Biutiful Reviews

August 9, 2016
It's heavy and dark but very real and beautiful. It's a must see in my opinion. Bardem is such a great actor and Inarritu is such a great director.
July 12, 2016
This is an incredibly disappointing effort from Inarritu, akin to The Life Aquatic from Wes Anderson and Only God Forgives from Nicolas Winding Refn respectively. As with those films, Biutiful feels listless, unfinished and lacks many of the trademarks that have turned Inarritu into a powerhouse these last few years. Long takes are nearly nonexistent and the majority of the film takes place in minimally lit apartments, robbing Inarritu of any chance to use the cityscape to his advantage. Bardem absolutely kills this performance and earns his Oscar nod here but his work is lost to an intersection of immigration, economics, fatherhood, grief, death, capitalism, relationships and more, which all serve to make this a messy, unfocused film that never really quite settles on an appropriate direction for its star. There is the potential for a powerful story on the underbelly of the European work force and the illegal immigration and exploitation that occurs there but that gets lost in the middle of a cancer/end of life story on Bardem's part which is subsequently lost in Bardem's moral dilemmas, relationship issues and his struggles as a father. Dozens of characters are never fleshed out, eating up screen time but never really delivering anything meaningful to the plot. The brother, Chinese bosses, African sellers and others just never come to fruition as the meanderingly manic plot moves on without them. The movie limps towards the finish, which is really just another weird supernatural tangent that Inarritu fails to connect to the whole. Ultimately however, what really sinks the film is that despite Bardem's best efforts, him, his wife and all of the rest of the characters aren't really likable at all. Biutiful doesn't offer us anyone to connect with and with a confused tone that fails to direct us towards a villain film, I get the sense that Inarritu wanted us to like the flawed Bardem but just couldn't write the lines to make it happen. The results are slow and incredibly sub-par for a director who went on to produce two of the top films of the decade in Birdman and The Revenant. Not worth your two and a half hours.
½ April 24, 2016
Sombre and pretty depressing journey of a man in purgatory. As he tries to juggle his different worlds and responsibilities and set up a life for his kids after he passes. Bardem gives an amazing performance.
April 17, 2016
An occasionally interesting Spanish film, with Bardem putting his heart in every scene, but there's so many threads that takes ages to come to fruition. Definitely too long @ 2.5 hours, but it's basically Uxbal (Bardem) trying to help out migrants, even though it's technically illegal, look after his kids & deal with his estranged wife, manage his cancer prognosis, and also communicate with the dead/moths - how/why are never explained or explored. Drama, indeed! A quasi-happy ending, given the circumstances, but a little too disjointed and meandering to be great.
½ March 4, 2016
There aint too many Spanish films that show this side of their country. Bar one or two Pedro Almodovar films, we only ever see the beauty of spain and the very consistent eye for it by the directors. This film is like an English grit film set in Madrid. The story takes a while to cotton on to but once you've caught up then it's raw and harsh with some excellent performances.
½ March 3, 2016
Inarritu is at the very top of the league when it comes to directing. Biutiful is another proof in many aspects. Once again he goes down into the depths of society and shows us how a disfunctional family in the midst of the "gracious" Barcelona, living obviously in the shadowvalley of the city, with sickness, criminal-income, mental sickness, drugs and the whole charade. Even though Bardem manages to capture us into his soul of goodness, following his daily struggles of putting bread on the table as well the everlasting fight for his own view on whats fair and just. The movie is raw and strong, though rewarding in its capture of the realistic daily struggle out there.
February 27, 2016
It is well acted and has beautiful (see what I did there?) Craftsmanship,but pretty grim and kind of boring
February 8, 2016
One of the best dramas.
December 31, 2015
The most relentlessly sad movie I've ever seen, but it's so gorgeous and Javier Bardem is so convincing and excellent I was just glad I found it.
½ December 19, 2015
This film is not a crowd pleaser by any stretch of the imagination, it's grim, sad, genuinely human and spiritual all at the same time. When I got to the end of the film I was comfortable, and somewhat optimistic. The film handles some deep subjects but does so in such a graceful and authentic manner, it does not feel forced. Definitely give this film a chance it is Alejandro's must underrated but most impactful films.
December 18, 2015
A plain vanilla drama without substance. It's more of the same old '21 grams' style, but with less over-the-top drug addiction and less of people crying all the time for this so unjust human condition.
November 19, 2015
Odd film. A huge mess.
½ November 19, 2015
This sad, depressing drama wants to create an unbearable sense of tragedy that doesn't always feel genuine, but even so it benefits from a strong performance by Bardem, who is able to inject some complexity into his character despite the rather artificial plot.
½ October 4, 2015
So after watching Birdman, I was excited to see the other films the director made, but I wasn't excited to watch Biutiful as it was perhaps, going to expire on Netflix and I heard that it was very grim to watch, which after watching it, it was, but I still enjoyed it. Javier Bardem gives a great performance which probably makes him worth watching. The writing is really good, and the camerawork is impressive. The soundtrack is good, although it sometimes gets weird and out of place. The supporting cast are great, and the plot is a bit interesting, but confusing. The main problem is that the movie is way too long, and with a tone like this that is very grim, it can make a lot of people bored. The relationship between a father and his kids is great and it does feel like a real family. Biutiful is not for everyone as it's too depressing and very slow for some of the viewers, but for me, it seems like a lesser effort by the director who fixed his bit of mistakes by making Birdman.
August 2, 2015
Javier Bardem delivers his most powerful performance in Biutiful: an abstract, complex, and thought provoking drama of a man struggling with death
July 5, 2015
I am going to pass on this one.
½ June 26, 2015
Javier Bardem is astounding here. Absolutely transformative. Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu once again shines tremendously as a director. But I couldn't really grasp hold of the film, as much as I wanted to.
June 25, 2015
Great acting and as usual Bardem works his magic. Overall, though, I kept thinking "what a downer!"
½ June 9, 2015
A real slog of a film, not unlike last year's Birdman. Thankfully there's some relief at the 2 hour mark with catharsis from the build-up of the story. Innaritu has talent and he uses many cinematic techniques, but none of that trickery can get get past a poor script with little plot, uninteresting characters and a lack of energy. There are a few moments along the way that I connected with, but there's just so much detritus to sift through. Can't say I'll ever watch this dark, gritty and desperate story ever again. Once in a lifetime is enough punishment.