The Black Cauldron Reviews

• Apr 01, 2019

Due to its boring leads, boring story, and lack of any suspense or drama, Black Cauldron is far from a classic. It does however feature beautiful animation and one of Disney's more intense and scarier villains to make it worth seeing at least once, but only once. 2/5 - Forgettable

• Dec 27, 2018

Story is full of evil which is weird for a Disney movie but the animation was pretty cool.

• Dec 05, 2018

I will say it was no Lion King or Aladdin but it still was a decent movie. I would have been in my prime as a 6 year old kid watching this movie. This is dark ,with spooky forests, creepy castles, nasty witches , mystic fairies , and medieval settings. The villain the horned King is amazing and creepy. Too bad i did not have this movie as a kid. Amazing visuals. Sadly the characters and story in whole were very rushed and were not explained very well at all. If it would have explained in the beginning the Horned Kings relation to the people and who the assistant pig boy and his master is . Along with their relation to the horned king and why they have their mystic pig . It may have boosted its ratings tremendously and made it more involving for the audience.

• Nov 28, 2018

Said to be a complete critical and commerical disaster in it's initial release The Black Cauldron would eventually go on to start a good line of cult classics by Disney. Was it a mastepiece? No, but I loved it's dark grim atmosphere, and macabre sense of humor and sense of adventure.

• Nov 10, 2018

I did not believe it at first, when I heard of this movie, but it's true. In fact, Disney did not go very well in the 1980s, it first launches the movie "Return to Oz" which was already quite frightening and scary and now releases this movie that is 20 times worse. The movie had a scary vibe, horrible characters, a scary story (even for an adult) and one of the worst villains in Walt Disney Pictures history. No wonder it went bankrupt in the '80s, this movie was completely scary and unappealing to children; It was not like the Disney movies, with good songs, friendly characters and history for the whole family, was the OPPOSITE. Actually, the movie even has good points, the actors, the animation and the soundtrack were good and the story was great for a horror movie (so do not give less stars in the evaluation). I do not understand how Disney refused to make a huge masterpiece like "Back to the Future" to make films like this. I would not recommend anything. Disney, if you are reading this, please do not make movies like this again, continue with those movies that are hard to do.

• Nov 09, 2018

Although the lack of character development and a somber atmosphere, it is a great animation, beautiful visually and with perfect vocal performance and soundtrack. is 100% worth (Actually, this movie should have 100% in the rate, not 57%).

• Oct 12, 2018

Difficile parlare di un classico Disney davanti a questo triste e superficiale film d'animazione, che ha tutta l'aria di essere stato fatto direttamente per il mondo della televisione. Non ha praticamente niente di memorabile o valido sotto l'aspetto emotivo, con personaggi convenzionali e una storia senza sale. Buone solamente le animazioni, che però non riescono a brillare in un contesto che con queste premesse ha già fallito in partenza.

• Sep 28, 2018

My favourite sword and sorcery animated film of all time, even beating Heavy Metal. It's absolutely fantastic, love the soundtrack and I know nothing like the book, but it ticks all the boxes for me. 10/10

• Sep 05, 2018

WORST Disney Animation feature in 1985, Period.

WORST Disney Animation feature in 1985, Period.

• Aug 24, 2018

Do not believe the negativity. Is this a typical Disney film? Absolutely not if you are comparing it to the lighter fare the studio has typically dabbled in since the 1960s. But, comparing this to the films Disney made in the 30's and well into the 50s you see a common dark fantasy element. The animation is stunning and possibly the best the studio ever produced. The characters are vibrant and unique and their sense of danger never fades. Add one of the most fantastically voiced villains in all of animation (by the incomperable John Hurt) and a score that is great in it's own right and you have a bonafide classic that has yet to become appreciate for what it is instead of what it isnt.