The Black Cauldron Reviews

• Jun 21, 2021

Though this is a horror mashup of ‘Sleeping Beauty' and ‘The Sword in the Stone', Disney proves that its dark side works as well.

• Apr 29, 2021

It's a good looking movie, especially for it's time, and even the story here is fine, a little slow and/or confusing at times, but my biggest complaint was that I just couldn't get on board entirely with the characters. 6.0/10, C+

• Mar 28, 2021

Beautifully made film with Nice background art and hand drawn animation, but sadly it was ruined by its lack of character development and tone. However even though this is highly unlikely I do hope Disney makes a 3D animated remake with all the cons removed and improved.

• Feb 16, 2021

The worst Disney cartoon ever!!!!

The worst Disney cartoon ever!!!!

• Jan 19, 2021

The Black Cauldron is a movie I had heard tell was ultimatley bad. But never found a copy to watch until I remembered it existed during the age of internet. So I gave it a chance. Positives - The Still background art was excellent. The Animated magical effects were also great to look at. Had that classic Disney Horror srinkled in the, infact of the most dark classics Disney hadproduced, and that doesn't even include the scenes that were removed from the finished film. Characters with melting flesh and such. Shame they removed it. A Villain that deserved a better film to host in. The Horned King had a nice design and feel to him and the voice was great. The Cons - The are So many. The script is bad, the voice acting is mostly still. The characters are bland even when the narrative wants them to be interesting. The most interesting thing about the protaganists is that Gurgy the dog was clearly based on Smeagol from Tolkiens Hobbit/Lord of the rings; and Andy Serkis' rendition of Smeagol many years down the line is based on much vocal and physical acting Gurgy displays in this film... just done far more endearingly. It's mostly down to the script and the narrative though. Gurgy is nothing but a frustrating Character in this movie however, as well as all other characters. They all have something that could make them good characters, but they and the story fall totally short of substance. I was severly bored of this movie all the way through, apart from the few moments of horror inspired tention and often taken by the background art or magical essence in it. But overall, despite gallons of potential, it is a terribly boring, badly written and unpolished film. This film is to Disney as what Tales of Earthsea is to Studio Ghibli. Hollow.

• Dec 07, 2020

It is criminal how poorly this was recieved and the reputation it has just because it bombed back in the day. This is one of the most interesting films from the classic Disney animated canon. It's super dark, while retaining goofy characters for the kids to have fun with and features some dynamite animation. It's a solid fantasy adventure. And am I the only that can see that either Jackson or Serkis ripped off the Gollum portrayal from this...?

• Oct 13, 2020

Souvent conspué et noté comme la fin d'une époque, Taram et le Chaudron magique est un Disney tout à fait oubliable, une sorte de best-of d'une lenteur sans nom, peuplé de personnages agaçants et d'un scénario particulièrement peu inspiré. RIen n'est réellement intéressant, réellement drôle car tout a déjà été vu auparavant, en beaucoup mieux fait. Après ce film-là, Disney a dû et su se réinventer pour proposer quelque chose de nouveau à ses spectateurs. Il est difficile de ne pas comprendre pourquoi. Taram & le Chaudron magique est un remake loupé de Merlin l'Enchanteur, un film qui frôle souvent la catastrophe industrielle s'il n'était aussi beau à voir.

• Sep 23, 2020

it's not a good movie. but there's a soft spot in my heart for it, and there always will be, even though literally every time I watch it I thoroughly don't enjoy myself at all.

• Aug 12, 2020

Not aged well at all, a complete flop for Disney, although it was unique, there's really nothing that entertaining with annoying characters and some really cringe acting

• Aug 08, 2020

Just watch it! It is not good though.

Just watch it! It is not good though.