Book of Shadows - Blair Witch 2 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Book of Shadows - Blair Witch 2 Reviews

April 20, 2017
This Film Got A ''Thumbs Up'' From Richard Roeper And A ''Thumbs Down'' From Roger Ebert On Ebert & Roeper.
½ February 12, 2017
If you thought blair witch couldn't get any more dull. Guess again. They may have a bigger cast this time around and a bigger budget but ultimately the result was just as weak. Absolutely horrendous acting and sloppy plot. Once again, a wasted opportunity.
½ January 31, 2017
Okay, well, all in all, the more I think about it, I think they actually wrapped up all the questions pretty well. Oh, except, uh, was that the Blair Witch who was behind it the whole time? Did that Twin Peaks girl have anything to do with it? Oh, and what about the author? Was she possessed or behind it at all? Actually, whoever it was, what was the motive? Why kill all these people? Were they under a spell or just crazy? I mean, we know that this guy was crazy because he was in a mental institution. In fact, what was up with that opening with the pouring of the mucus into his nose? They never explained that. Hey, how come they saw crazy images sometimes and then didn't at other times? Was there ever a rhyme or reason to it, or did they just do it out of nowhere? For that matter, how do we know the video footage is really what we're seeing? I mean, is that really what happened, or did the ghost or witch or whatever it is play with that, too? We saw clearly he can mess with the footage. Speaking of which, why was the footage only playable when being played backwards? I mean, even then, how did they see the snippets of it when they were playing it forward? Oh, yeah, and did they ever explain why the goth chick was psychic? That was a thrilling backstory, wasn't it? I'm so glad they had that in the movie, that was essential to the plot! Hey, is there any chance that you can explain why you were cutting to those bits of those people being murdered out of nowhere?! Did it add anything to the story? Did it create any suspense? Now that I think about it, from a storytelling point of view, WHAT DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH THE FUCKING BLAIR WITCH?* A CONNECTION, IF THERE IS ONE AT ALL, IS BARELY MADE! In fact, wait a minute. (He does a close-up on the movie poster's title) WHAT THE FUCK WAS THE BOOK OF SHADOWS?! (Back to the movie footage) Did they ever mention that in the movie?! Where the hell was that title? They never talk about it! WE NEVER EVEN SEE IT! DON'T YOU THINK MAYBE THE TITLE OF YOUR MOVIE SHOULD GODDAMN HAVE SOMETHING WELL FUCK SHIT DAMN TO DO WITH YOUR MOVIE? IT'S NEVER EXPLAINED! Hey, you know, come to think about it, THIS MOVIE IS BUTT-ASS!
½ January 16, 2017
Finally decided to watch this. i knew i wouldn't like it... its just plain bad.
½ January 6, 2017
One of the worst sequels ever made. I'm not sure who'd enjoy this. Fans of the original (like me) are left scratching their heads, wondering how they thought they could make a Blair Witch franchise with this as the second film. All in all, is a colossal blunder that is completely incomprehensible.
½ January 4, 2017
stupid depressing waste of time
January 2, 2017
Very cheap sequel to a decent film. The cliche characters are very hard to watch and the acting is bad. Skip it.
December 27, 2016
The story and script are really not bad. The reason it's so hated is the characters; actors are directed to do the stupidest things and react in cheesy ways, often pure stereotype (and yes, sometimes its plain bad acting). Apart from these aggravating facts, the story has a good structure, including the micro flash forwards that got me invested. It has good momentum, propulsive shifts and some surprising creativity, having fun with the existing mythology. So i may be one of the 0.1% but i enjoy this movie
½ October 23, 2016
This movie to an hour and 30 minutes of my life away and I want them back!!!!!
½ October 21, 2016
It's uninspired trash to be honest. it may claim to be the sequel to Blair Witch but it feels nothing like the original. the movie had potential to be interesting with a plot that often made you question what was going on , unfortunately this movie gave you far too many questions and about ZERO answers. It lacks the subtlety of the first Blair witch and isn't scary at all. Confusing, boring, and a complete waste of time, it's easily one of the worst movies I've ever seen.
½ October 16, 2016
There's some people out there that actually think this is a good movie....LOL
September 30, 2016
As is so common with sequels of any genre, the follow-up is either rushed, uninspired, or goes so far out of its way to try something new that it becomes a shell of the original product; this is a mix of those three scenarios. Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2 is one of the worst sequels I've seen to any film, no matter the genre, and the fact that the studio pumped it out to capitalize on the instant success of the original explains a lot. This movie is not found-footage, and instead exists in a world where the original Blair Witch Project has already come out, and these new characters, much like the production company, want to make a quick buck by creating a supposed "tour" in the Black Hills Forest, which then goes awry. The acting is atrocious in this film and it's clear that first-time, feature film director Joe Berlinger was out of his depth in reigning in these performers, who resort to going as over-the-top as possible with their line deliveries. The editing is also terrible, with random inserts of exposition that don't connect to anything, as well as intrusive foreshadowing that really only exists to give the film some gratuitous violence. The film is so lazy, it borrows every cliche from the horror playbook including random ghosts, jump scares, animals acting nuts, and of course, DREAM SEQUENCES! The only good that came from this film was the element of time displacement, which expands the mythology and answers some leftover questions from the first film. Apart from that, this is a complete waste of time and the only enjoyment I reaped from it was rocking out to the Marilyn Manson song that plays during the opening credits, that's as "scary" as the film gets.
September 30, 2016
To say I hated it would be an understatement.
½ September 24, 2016
I think this film gets a bad rap because of how much it deviates from the original; if you changed the name nobody would know they were sequels, and while it's not an amazing piece of horror, it's as good a lot of other in the genre.
September 24, 2016
Most people don't seem to realize, but its very evident early on that this movie was meant to have comedic undertones, and doesn't request you to take it very seriously. if you watch it in that mind frame it's not such a bad movie.
September 21, 2016
A wasted bore of decent potential.
September 20, 2016
It is inevitable that a film made for $60,000.00 with a return of almost $250,000,000.00 at the worldwide box office would get a sequel, but the least you could do is try to make something somewhat enjoyable. Take 2008's Iron Man for instance. They made that film in hopes of it becoming a success in order to expand on the Marvel universe. Granted, that universe already had a fanbase, but you see where I am going with this. The Blair Pitch Project was made on a shoestring budget with hardly a skeleton crew. I am positive that their hopes were to enter it into a film festival and gain some viewers, which would in turn get their names out to the world. Although the directors of the original film are no longer heard of today, as they were kind of one-hit-wonders, even then it seemed insanely quick for a studio to whip up a sequel. In just over a year, a sequel was produced as a cash grab. Lets talk about horrendous it was, and still remains to this day.

Following a group of teenagers after they have viewed the film The Blair Witch Project, they venture into the woods to study the myth even further. They also bring cameras and bizarre things begin to happen to them. Now, at first you may start to commend the film for being different and flashing back and forth throughout time, but it also gives away the ending of the film, which is awful anyway, but that is aside from the point. While much more happens in this film, it also takes away the creepiness that the first film was able to pull off. With a $15,000,000.00 budget, it was clear that the studio was looking to make the same numbers as the original, but in turn it only ended up earning them under $50,000,000.00. While that return is not necessarily a box office bomb, it was clear that it was a one-time type of film. If they wanted to make a cash grab, they could have at least did the same movie over again with new people, but this film just makes the original feel like The Godfather of horror films.

The original film relied solely on the shaky camera, clever sound design, and the performances in order to send chills down peoples spines. Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2 cuts to flashbacks of people being stabbed and branding being done, many more times than it needed to. Due to the fact that the core story was more of a mystery than a horror this time around, the filmmakers seemed to need to cut back to shocking moments to make its audience feel uneasy. It was cheap and I hated watching each and every trick that the filmmakers tried to pull on the audience. I would have liked this more as a mystery/thriller, but they were too afraid to take any chances.

Overall, Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2 tries to do something different with its story in the first act in order to make the audience feel like they are in for something very interesting; However, that is not the case at all. Fooling its audience into thinking it is a horror film and building up tension to a final scene that is laughably executed, this film fails on almost every level. The performances in the first film felt real and believable, but I found myself chuckling at most of the line deliveries throughout this film. Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2 is the epitome of a cash grab sequel that failed to hit every mark that it was striving for. Die hard fans of the original film won't even be able to find any enjoyment out of this train wreck of a sequel. The only thing that is remotely similar would have to be the fact that it takes place in the woods once again. This film is boring, laughably acted, and edited together faster than any horror film I have ever seen. Aside from a few promising moments in the first act, it is complete trash.
½ September 17, 2016
"Fucking witch!"

You can tell that there may be a good film lying in here somewhere, but the studio done fucked it up! The film is edited to shit (so many cuts to the present and the past), the characters are unlikable, and the whole thing is confusing. There are some genuinely interesting ideas here (One example: If a group believes in a fictional thing hard enough, can that fictional thing be brought to life?), and the mystery at the heart of the film is actually an intriguing one. Unfortunately, the film throws all the puzzle pieces in a jumbled heap on the table and tells you to get to it. Figuring out what's really going on is just about impossible. It's clear that the group is suffering from severe hallucinations (sometimes even shared hallucinations), and that one or more may be possessed by The Blair Witch at different times. I suppose the simple answer is that the group is slowly being driven mad by The Blair Witch (which begs the question: Was The Blair Witch real all along, or did the group inadvertently bring her to life by believing in her?). Either way, the film leaves you with many, many questions and tons of almost answers (and the film is assembled in such a way that finding the truth is a herculean task). Hopefully one day we'll get a directors cut, but as it stands now Book of Shadows is interesting, frustrating, and maddening. On the plus side, I actually kind of dug the score and I liked the setting of the warehouse.
½ September 16, 2016
One of the worst horror films I have ever scene