Book of Shadows - Blair Witch 2 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Book of Shadows - Blair Witch 2 Reviews

August 27, 2017
It really does seem as if maybe, at one point, in the days of yore, there was a really interesting psychological thriller at play, now buried deep within the layers of garbage that Blair Witch 2 ended up being. I mean, hey, props to you, Book of Shadows tried something totally different to the original. It's just a shame that it failed abysmally.
July 14, 2017
Where "The Blair Witch Project" was way too simple and light, "Book Of Shadows: Blair Witch 2" got way too carried away with trying to make up for the lack of intensity that the original movie had. However, the result was an insanely sloppy mess, that goes all over the place, coupled with some absolutely awful acting. There was not much I can say this movie has going for it - except for maybe the fact that it tried to be more eventful than the original. The plot of this movie is just a mess, these people go looking for the Blair Witch, which, once again we learn absolutely nothing about, and slowly see themselves get terrorized by the witch, similar to what happened in the first movie. There was a twist that this movie tried to throw in, which I have to say was probably the most interesting thing that happened in this movie, and I can't really complain about that because at least they tried to do something other than leach off of the first movies success. There is so much wrong with this movie, even the title doesn't make any sense. There is no "Book Of Shadows" in this movie, nor is there any mention of a book of shadows, no reference, not even a book that could resemble a book of shadows. This movie should have just been called "Blair Witch 2", but I guess the producers scrapped the plot entirely for the "Book Of Shadows" and just made up some new crap and threw it out. Everything from the way this movie was shot, to the acting, to the actual plot just screams lazy, and although I could see "The Blair Witch Project" being good in 1999, I know for a fact that there is no time where this sequel would be anything better than just a trashy movie looking to make a quick buck off of the original movie's success. "Book Of Shadows: Blair Witch 2" is terrible.
June 16, 2017
This film is a great sequel to the mysterious "The Blair Witch Project". Even though they ditch the full found footage route, this film is still a great mystery slasher film. This film keeps you guessing until the last reveal. The reveal is no dissapointment. The cast is also good in this film. The D list Dane Cook character is my favorite.

Rating: 6.5/10
April 20, 2017
This Film Got A ''Thumbs Up'' From Richard Roeper And A ''Thumbs Down'' From Roger Ebert On Ebert & Roeper.
½ February 12, 2017
If you thought blair witch couldn't get any more dull. Guess again. They may have a bigger cast this time around and a bigger budget but ultimately the result was just as weak. Absolutely horrendous acting and sloppy plot. Once again, a wasted opportunity.
½ January 31, 2017
Okay, well, all in all, the more I think about it, I think they actually wrapped up all the questions pretty well. Oh, except, uh, was that the Blair Witch who was behind it the whole time? Did that Twin Peaks girl have anything to do with it? Oh, and what about the author? Was she possessed or behind it at all? Actually, whoever it was, what was the motive? Why kill all these people? Were they under a spell or just crazy? I mean, we know that this guy was crazy because he was in a mental institution. In fact, what was up with that opening with the pouring of the mucus into his nose? They never explained that. Hey, how come they saw crazy images sometimes and then didn't at other times? Was there ever a rhyme or reason to it, or did they just do it out of nowhere? For that matter, how do we know the video footage is really what we're seeing? I mean, is that really what happened, or did the ghost or witch or whatever it is play with that, too? We saw clearly he can mess with the footage. Speaking of which, why was the footage only playable when being played backwards? I mean, even then, how did they see the snippets of it when they were playing it forward? Oh, yeah, and did they ever explain why the goth chick was psychic? That was a thrilling backstory, wasn't it? I'm so glad they had that in the movie, that was essential to the plot! Hey, is there any chance that you can explain why you were cutting to those bits of those people being murdered out of nowhere?! Did it add anything to the story? Did it create any suspense? Now that I think about it, from a storytelling point of view, WHAT DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH THE FUCKING BLAIR WITCH?* A CONNECTION, IF THERE IS ONE AT ALL, IS BARELY MADE! In fact, wait a minute. (He does a close-up on the movie poster's title) WHAT THE FUCK WAS THE BOOK OF SHADOWS?! (Back to the movie footage) Did they ever mention that in the movie?! Where the hell was that title? They never talk about it! WE NEVER EVEN SEE IT! DON'T YOU THINK MAYBE THE TITLE OF YOUR MOVIE SHOULD GODDAMN HAVE SOMETHING WELL FUCK SHIT DAMN TO DO WITH YOUR MOVIE? IT'S NEVER EXPLAINED! Hey, you know, come to think about it, THIS MOVIE IS BUTT-ASS!
½ January 16, 2017
Finally decided to watch this. i knew i wouldn't like it... its just plain bad.
½ January 6, 2017
One of the worst sequels ever made. I'm not sure who'd enjoy this. Fans of the original (like me) are left scratching their heads, wondering how they thought they could make a Blair Witch franchise with this as the second film. All in all, is a colossal blunder that is completely incomprehensible.
½ January 4, 2017
stupid depressing waste of time
January 2, 2017
Very cheap sequel to a decent film. The cliche characters are very hard to watch and the acting is bad. Skip it.
December 27, 2016
The story and script are really not bad. The reason it's so hated is the characters; actors are directed to do the stupidest things and react in cheesy ways, often pure stereotype (and yes, sometimes its plain bad acting). Apart from these aggravating facts, the story has a good structure, including the micro flash forwards that got me invested. It has good momentum, propulsive shifts and some surprising creativity, having fun with the existing mythology. So i may be one of the 0.1% but i enjoy this movie
½ October 23, 2016
This movie to an hour and 30 minutes of my life away and I want them back!!!!!
½ October 21, 2016
It's uninspired trash to be honest. it may claim to be the sequel to Blair Witch but it feels nothing like the original. the movie had potential to be interesting with a plot that often made you question what was going on , unfortunately this movie gave you far too many questions and about ZERO answers. It lacks the subtlety of the first Blair witch and isn't scary at all. Confusing, boring, and a complete waste of time, it's easily one of the worst movies I've ever seen.
½ October 16, 2016
There's some people out there that actually think this is a good movie....LOL
September 30, 2016
As is so common with sequels of any genre, the follow-up is either rushed, uninspired, or goes so far out of its way to try something new that it becomes a shell of the original product; this is a mix of those three scenarios. Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2 is one of the worst sequels I've seen to any film, no matter the genre, and the fact that the studio pumped it out to capitalize on the instant success of the original explains a lot. This movie is not found-footage, and instead exists in a world where the original Blair Witch Project has already come out, and these new characters, much like the production company, want to make a quick buck by creating a supposed "tour" in the Black Hills Forest, which then goes awry. The acting is atrocious in this film and it's clear that first-time, feature film director Joe Berlinger was out of his depth in reigning in these performers, who resort to going as over-the-top as possible with their line deliveries. The editing is also terrible, with random inserts of exposition that don't connect to anything, as well as intrusive foreshadowing that really only exists to give the film some gratuitous violence. The film is so lazy, it borrows every cliche from the horror playbook including random ghosts, jump scares, animals acting nuts, and of course, DREAM SEQUENCES! The only good that came from this film was the element of time displacement, which expands the mythology and answers some leftover questions from the first film. Apart from that, this is a complete waste of time and the only enjoyment I reaped from it was rocking out to the Marilyn Manson song that plays during the opening credits, that's as "scary" as the film gets.
September 30, 2016
To say I hated it would be an understatement.
½ September 24, 2016
I think this film gets a bad rap because of how much it deviates from the original; if you changed the name nobody would know they were sequels, and while it's not an amazing piece of horror, it's as good a lot of other in the genre.
September 24, 2016
Most people don't seem to realize, but its very evident early on that this movie was meant to have comedic undertones, and doesn't request you to take it very seriously. if you watch it in that mind frame it's not such a bad movie.
September 21, 2016
A wasted bore of decent potential.