Bowling for Columbine - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bowling for Columbine Reviews

July 24, 2016
What I love about this movie is that Michael Moore has no problem telling you that you're an idiot and here are many examples of why. But he won't tell you that to your face, he'll ask the best questions to get you to showcase your stupidity. Now I'm not going to sit here and talk about what to do with the gun control "problem" they have in the states and have this review get overly politcal but I will say that this film is just as relevant now as is was back in 2002. With the whole #BlackLivesMatter movement going on and with the most recent attack on the Dallas Police Department, this film still talks to those issues. A great watch for anyone looking for a documentary that is entertaining but will also make you think about some certain things.
½ April 12, 2016
This documentary perfectly portrays the fear that is used in the US and how it leads to violence. It also showcases the consistent blame of African Americans fueled from that fear. Michael Moore compares the United States to other countries that are very similar to the U.S and how they are exposed to the same "violent entertainment" as the U.S. and it makes you think why the U.S. has much more violence issues. This documentary explores why people need the second amendment and why it is important to some Americans and how some Americans see it as a bad thing that encourages violence.
½ March 29, 2016
With the school shooting in Colorado as a starting point Moore questions America's mood and resolution: Are guns the answer to the difficulties our society faces, or in fact one of the many problems that must be addressed? Like a late night barroom political conversation he's a little all over the map and lacking direction but his concerns are more than valid. A solid think piece.
½ March 17, 2016
Say what you will about Michael Moore and his approach to documentary filmmaking, but the man isn't afraid to speak his mind: that becomes very evident upon viewing his Oscar winning documentary Bowling for Columbine. The documentary tackles not only the ever-raging debate of gun control, but also looks at American society as a whole and the many facets that have shaped us into the society we currently are. These points are often compelling and hard-hitting, sometimes frighteningly so, but Moore struggles in the actual execution of said points: the film lacks cohesion, and jumps randomly from point to point with no real transition. It certainly doesn't help that the film occasionally reeks of self-indulgence, noticeably towards the end of the film. It's not the greatest documentary in terms of actual watchability (the 120 minute runtime feels a little too long), but in terms of raising awareness of its subject and stoking the metaphorical fire, Bowling for Columbine does a pretty good job.
½ February 17, 2016
This is a great documentary about America's love of violence, from gun violence to ICBM violence. And very funny as well, like all Michael Moore movies.
January 17, 2016
Bowling For Columbine feels one sided at most and also feels like a big "fuck you" to America, but it's one of Moore's best and most thought provoking films, and really makes you think about the important questions it asks.
½ December 1, 2015
Helped me understand a lot about certain mentalities in the States, all without being too heavy and using Michael Moore's trademark sarcasm to lighten up things a bit.
November 6, 2015
A must-see for any Liberal who us interested In the controversy surrounding Gun Control and the media's influence on it. Bowling for Columbine follows Left-Wing documentary film maker Michael Moore who is trying to figure out what may have caused the Columbine High School Massacre and tries to find out what makes America have the highest Homicide rate in the world. Michael goes to the center of it all in this film, meeting with Marilyn Manson, the leader of the NRA, and a bomb factory owner who lives and operates in Columbine, Colorado. Easily one of the most thought provoking and intriguing Documentary of all time and Michael Moore's best Documentary to date.
October 21, 2015
The anti-gun group will not be happy to know that Canadians have so many guns, and the "it is my RIGHT" to have as many guns as I want group will hate it for pointing to the violence that could not happen without their favorite weapon but unfortunately neither side will stop screaming about what they just Know to be true long enough to contemplate what it will take to change the pathology and paranoia in American society that leads to hundreds of dead children.
October 16, 2015
Some people thought Michael Moore's appearance at Charlton Heston's house was a mean stunt, and I've come to the conclusion that they were right. Even many who agree with Moore's views see him as a showboat who plays loose with the facts. I still think this remains a marvelous documentary in spite of that. Before first seeing it, I was skeptical, as I come from a hunting family and the presence of all those hunting rifles doesn't make my family members a threat to other people. Though Moore is surely for strict gun control, that isn't what this film is about. It is about why American people shoot each other in such staggering numbers with their guns, a problem that keeps spiraling out of control. It is about the mysteries of mass psychology, how and why our country is how it is on an emotional level. Perhaps Moore would have delivered points more effectively without cheeky humor, but it is oddly the cartoon sketch by the South Park guys that illuminates the rest of the film. Moore's contention is that, going back as far as the pilgrim's, America's ruling settlers have been full of fear, of one thing or another but specifically of people of color. The notions of mass psychology and the collective unconscious are murky and perhaps impossible to fully understand, but the effects of powerful psychological problems on descendants and countries in general, even hundreds of years later, are clear. Moore hits on something very real about America, especially in scenes when he contrasts the numbers of locks on our doors compared to many Canadians who don't even lock their doors (crazy people!); and when he shows our northern neighbor's sane (thought sedate) news programs compared to our batshit variety. For whatever panoply of reasons, there is such a strong current of fear in our national psychology, and fear, perhaps more than anything else, causes humans to commit the very worst crimes against each other
October 11, 2015
Watching this again after many years shows you how entrenched the gun issue is in the US culture. Remarkably similar tragedies and reactions. As Obama said, it has all become so depressingly routine. Insightful and terrifyingly sad.
October 4, 2015
At least they don't blame Marilyn Manson anymore. Sad nothing else has changed though.
½ September 24, 2015
Yes, Moore uses some shitty tactics and over-exaggerates and gives his opinion, but the overall point, that Americans are obsesses with fear and paranoia and that it consumes us, is a worthy one to look into and one that this does very well and entertainingly so.
August 17, 2015
It is, of course, a propaganda piece, but it is still funny, powerful, and interesting. Moore's personality lights up the film.
August 12, 2015
Bowling for Columbine is a Thought Provoking, Important and Eye-Opening Documentary with witty sarcasm and raising interesting arguments by Michael Moore's informative and entertaining direction. It is a Must See.
June 30, 2015
15 years later, this documentary is just as relevant as ever, but saddled with the typical emotional arguments and sweeping generalizations Moore is known for. Still, despite Moore's incompetence and tangents, he manages to get to the point: that among industrialized countries, the US has a disproportionate amount of gun deaths and that there must be a major factor in why this continues to be a problem. He asserts the culture of fear. Perhaps that is part of it. There have certainly been a multitude of studies since Columbine (and before) to ascertain why.

Michael Moore's reasoning is always to be taken with a grain of salt, but you can't ever ignore his questions. They are legitimate and necessary.
½ June 30, 2015
Although Michael Moore may rub you the wrong way at times, what he's accomplished here is a platform for deeper thought on gun control and gun violence.
½ June 29, 2015
Far superior to the previous film, "Bowling for Soup." But seriously, go watch it.
½ June 26, 2015
"Bowling for Columbine" is a tongue-in-cheek look at gun control and the outbreak of school shootings that began in 1999. Regardless of my political stance on the right to bear arms, I have to admit that this Oscar-winning documentary is very well put together and covers the topic from a variety of perspectives. The most important part of this film is that Michael Moore tackles the issue and leaves political parties out of it. Documentaries often approach an issue from the perspective of a particular party and the result is a whiney one-sided argument. Moore doesn't blame any single president; in fact, he equally attacks every administration from 1970-2002. His point is further strengthened by the fact that he is a lifetime member of the NRA and won awards for shooting when he was in school. The audio and video recordings from the 1999 Columbine shooting are hard to watch but the parts that left the biggest impact on me were the montages with an anachronistic song played over top of them. The "Happiness is a Warm Gun" sequence shows shootings and suicides then, following a segment about how our weapons of mass destruction are used to protect us from foreign aggressors, the "What A Wonderful World" sequence shows a bunch of foreign policy decisions in which our country was the aggressor or provided weapons to the enemies that we now attack. I felt that the K-Mart part of the documentary cheapened it a little bit because it came off as extremist and inappropriate. Moore could have proven his point without bullying a company and verbally attacking people like Dick Clark and Charlton Heston. Statistics alone should have been enough, like the incredibly low number of gun-related deaths in other countries compared to our own. Moore argues that our media has created a culture of fear that makes us more likely to use guns. He displays this through a nauseating cartoon "A Brief History of the United States of America" that shows our history of fear and how it has made us a violent society. Politics and personal beliefs aside aside, "Bowling for Columbine" is an impressive documentary that represents the issue from several perspectives and makes a strong argument for its case.
½ June 23, 2015
Bowling for Columbine is an excellent documentary. It is about a look at America's love affair with firearms. Michael Moore brought a great discussion about guns and gun violence. The script is well written. Moore also did a great job directing this documentary. I enjoyed watching this motion picture.