Breaking and Entering - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Breaking and Entering Reviews

April 18, 2016
An ordinary story made into an unimpressive movie.
½ February 9, 2016
A beautifully complex character study that really rang true with its exploration of life. Fantastic performances from the entire cast. Minghella was such a brilliant filmmaker who used the most ordinary of things for extraordinary results.
December 23, 2015
Loved this movie. Saw it on a screen in the middle of Paris not knowing if it was going to be dubbed, subbed or what! Turned out to be in English with no subs and I found the movie engaging and rather moving. First time I haven't wanted to strangle Jude
Law too!
October 8, 2015
An interesting movie with quite a few twists and turns. The ending wasn't what I thought it would be, but it was a good ending.
Jude Law and always Martin Freeman gave great performances
September 14, 2015
Overly complicated but still an interesting one time through drama.
½ May 15, 2015
Juliette Binouche <3
March 4, 2015
Better than I was expecting. It has the feel of a good novel. Jude Law's character especially speaks and acts like he's in a novel. Such an impulsive, honest, and eloquent character could be just irritating to watch, but I found him fascinating. Unfortunately the ending is way too easy and kind of leaves a bad aftertaste, but I thought everything up to that point was really good.
½ February 19, 2015
Which one of us is lying to themselves the most?

A partner to a business has his company broken into. The partner is in a complicated and frustrating relationship with his wife, so he doesn't mind camping out outside his company to ensure the act doesn't happen again. He discovers a young man and his friends committed the break-in and follows the kid home to discover he's a troubled youth with a mother just trying to make ends meet. The partner gets to know the mother, falls in love, and a complex relationship forms that complicates things at work and home for the business partner.

"What man wants to be with a girl that smells like his wife?"

Anthony Minghella, director of Cold Mountain, The Talented Mr. Ripley, Truly Madly Deeply, The English Patient, and Mr. Wonderful, delivers Breaking and Entering in his last motion picture. The storyline for this picture is a bit methodical and complex but interesting with a magnificent conclusion. The acting, script, and situations were first rate and the cast includes Jude Law, Robin Wright, Vera Farmiga, Martin Freeman, Rafi Gavron, and Juliette Binoche.

"She'll never be his daughter."

I grabbed this movie off HBOGO recently and found it better than I anticipated. This film isn't perfect, but is very dynamic and well put together. I adored how it concluded. This is a very smart drama that is worth a viewing but may not be worth adding to your DVD collection.

"They're cleaners and they're not clean..."

Grade: B-
January 27, 2015
Poor story and poor movie, with a poor love story. Not always great actors means great success.
½ January 17, 2015
Nada aburrida , para mi la mejor pelicula de Minghella
January 6, 2015
Not bad by any means, although it is ultimately a footnote in an otherwise more significant directorial career.
½ January 3, 2015
This was really good
January 2, 2015
I thought it was a good indie movie.
January 2, 2015
Drama movie with Jude Law about family things / problems kinda and well made. Great acting and overall a good movie.
November 6, 2014
great cast, interesting film.
July 22, 2014
The movie started out great - the dialogue was intriguing, the characters were very well set up and and it provided some great insight into human nature. It also contrasted the lives of Jude Law and Juliette Binoche's characters very well. But about half way through the film when their lives actually became intertwined, the movie lost all appeal and became superficial. The romance between Jude Law and Juliette Binoche was poorly developed, forced and unnecessary. Jude Law's wife also became very one-dimensional and unaffectionate, for no apparent reason, causing audiences to lose the sympathy they felt for her in the beginning.The ending was probably the worst - it was clichà (C)d and unrealistic, especially with regards to how easily Jude Law's wife forgave him for having an affair. There really was no resolution, no understanding of self or growth for any of the characters. Each just went back to living his/her life just as they did in the beginning of the film. Great acting from Jude Law and Juliette Binoche, other performances were mediocre. Could have been a great film about human nature if it hadn't got caught up in trying to progress its plot.
April 20, 2014
This is a very good story; made into a very good movie. The story is complex and very interesting. We have some Bosnian refugees in London. A mother, Amira (Juliet Binoche) is scraping by as a seamstress. Her teenage son is not going to school. He has fallen in with some adult burglars; doing their bidding. A young architect, Will (Jude Law) opens an office in a bad London neighborhood. J Law has an uncanny ability to embody his roles. He is very good. The Bosnian burglars promptly break in and steal some important equipment. At home, for Will , all is not well. His step daughter is mildly autistic. His wife, Liv (Robin Wright), is ignoring him, pulling away, and focused upon their struggling daughter. Will is attracted to, and drawn to Amira. There is even a comedic element in a street prostitute, Vera Farmiga. She adds a nice touch.

The story moves along. There are some unexpected twists and turns. The ending is a bit predictable; but very well done. It has a realistic feel.

It was a good trip to the flics.
February 24, 2014
This was almost a good movie, following criminals, immigrants and well-to-do professional types in London's King's Cross neighborhood. Jude Law looks good and does a fine job as an architect tracking the thief who twice broke into his office. Along the way he hops into a bathtub and begins an affair with the 15yr old thief's mother (Juliette Binoche) -she's a Serbian refugee, trying to blackmail him into not pressing charges against her son. Robin Wright plays Law's live in girlfriend -she's meant to be Swedish but her accent is terrible and her character all over the place. I expected better from her as I'm usually a fan. The story itself never really comes together, even at the end when all the characters intersect, it wasn't really fulfilling. I did enjoy seeing Sherlock's (Martin Freeman) here and also liked the Serbian boys 'jumping' all over Kings Cross while they burgled people. Good acting from 'the thief' and Binoche. 02.23.14
February 2, 2014
a dude with messiah complex tries to resolve his relationship problems with a long term partner by breaking in to other peoples lives and entering juliete binoche.