Bridget Jones's Diary Reviews

• Dec 31, 2019

This movie is a cliche of a "chick flick" with a lot of jokes in the mix!Actually funny this movie.

• Nov 25, 2019

It's easy to see how Zellweger got nominated for an Oscar for this performance, as her adopted accent was impeccable and she changed her appearance for the role and generally did an excellent job. I think we've yet to see a bad movie from her. The movie has several notable actors/actresses in it but the interesting ones (Gemma, Shirley, Broadbent) are in very minor roles and the screen time is dominated by the two male leads. I wasn't enamored with Colin's performance, but it's the first movie where I've seen Hugh in a leading role and liked his style of acting. The music in particular was very good in this movie.

• Sep 07, 2019

This is one of those movies that is incredibly subjective. I enjoyed it thoroughly and related to Bridget Jones a lot, but I can see where this may not be everyone's cup of tea (as it were). It would be hard to relate to Bridget and her world if you've never lived a portion of her story. If you are willing to transport yourself there though, it is a really fun time and ultimately a feel good film about finding yourself, happiness, and love.

• Aug 07, 2019

I thought the movie was a modern twist on pride and prejudice. I think as the movie watcher I can relate to being somewhat like Bridget .... messy , chubby, and always lost or late. In the end I enjoyed how much it portrayed the value of "if you mess up you can still get shit right". All in all good chick flick.

• Aug 03, 2019

Great bits mixed into a story that is a bit slow.

Great bits mixed into a story that is a bit slow.

• Jul 19, 2019

This little cutie patootie just wants to find a nice man and she makes me heart melt and honestly I just want to know whats up with that shit she says in bed about what they did being illegal in some countries, what does she mean by that? Butt sex?

• Apr 24, 2019

This was one of the first utterly disappointing films I have watched in a while. This had been so hyped up, it appears on several lists of the greatest romantic comedies of all time, and I assumed the iconic duo of Hugh Grant and Richard Curtis could do no wrong but alas Bridget Jones's Diary is a real stinker. The movie concerns unsympathetic ditz Bridget Jones, Renee Zellweger, who has an annoying habit of speaking as though she's a little girl and awkwardly grimacing in a way that shows off all of Zellweger's facial injections. She has a group of rowdy friends, Shirley Henderson chief among them, to keep her company, and a nosy mother in Gemma Jones and yet she feels lonely. When she is introduced to the "ding dong" Mark Darcy, Colin Firth, a not particularly attractive middle aged man who she â~hates' for seemingly no reason other than him insulting her once. Despite being told she is ugly repeatedly we see Bridget almost effortlessly snag Daniel Cleaver, Hugh Grant, her playboy boss and begin a sexual relationship with him. But oh no! Is this relationship all it's cracked up to be, how will the useless Bridget keep a job and why is she obsessing over the very dull Mr. Darcy? All of these questions are answered in a very smug, self-satisfied movie that wants you to find the titular character endearing even as you want to throttle her as Zellweger's pouts her way through the entirety of the run-time. What about this character would cause us to want to spend time with her, is it her spinelessness? Her witless observations? Her obsession with an unattractive boring man? None of these things made me like this character and even as physical gags that would have pushed me to titters in a better film were carried out but I just couldn't laugh at the sight of Bridget's bottom falling on to a television camera. Having a dislikable lead poisons a romantic comedy entirely as it easy to check out from the central love story entirely, seeing no reason for any man to desire this idiotic little twit in the slightest. Curtis is usually so good at writing an enjoyably flustered main character who struggles to articulate his or her emotions whilst being supported by a colorful group of very British friends and a dysfunctional family. Here we get none of the lovably overwhelmed but striving go-getter of a lead that was found in About Time (2013), a far superior Curtis offering. The friend group is not as fleshed out or interesting as the one found in Four Weddings and a Funeral (1994) even though very talented and individually funny actors were cast in the parts. The actors have been gifted some painfully unfunny dialogue to spout but instead of improving it they deliver it is as though it's a William Goldman script, worthy of some great reverence. The one bright spot in the film was Hugh Grant who is perfectly cast as Daniel Cleaver, the publishing executive who is rather naughty and gets around without Bridget's knowledge. His cheeky grin and deviously charming style of speaking seduce you and you expect it when he cheats on her but you like him anyway. He's the most likable character in the film and it is a mystery why he want an unattractive fruitcake like Bridget when there are far more intelligent and put together curvy girls out there. Every time he appears on screen I was able to stop cringing and actually enjoy myself. It's a shame that Grant's performance and this delightfully nasty character were wasted in such an awful film. I would caution anybody against watching this film because I'm sure there is a compilation of â~Best Daniel Cleaver moments' out there on youtube probably set to an early 2010s Britney Spears song and that's all that's worth seeing in this film. Zellweger is horrible in a terribly written role and thank goodness she recovered and made the brilliant Down with Love (2003) just a few years later. Stay away and don't be fooled by all of the accomplished names attached to this film as the majority of them are doing their weakest work here.

• Feb 23, 2019

"Bridget Jones' Diary" has an impressive performance from Renee Zellweger who portrays the title character with such likability and genuine hilarity.

• Jan 27, 2019

The best romcom movie ever made!

The best romcom movie ever made!

• Jan 09, 2019

So enjoyable and funny. Perfectly pitched.

So enjoyable and funny. Perfectly pitched.